Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2022, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by campIV View Post
Steve, thank you. I tried what you suggested and tho the radio doesn’t stay on without the ignition in the accessory position, when I flip the switch with the radio on it dims the display for some reason. As if the headlights were turned on.

You said you had the stereo replaced. My hypothesis is that the switch was originally intended to allow the radio to draw from the house batteries, but when the installers replaced the radio, they didn't know what to do with that line, and hooked it up to the radio's headlights on sense line. Does the radio's display dim if you turn on the headlights? If not, that would tend to confirm my hypothesis.

Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #12

Thank you again everyone for your help! This has to be the best forum on the net for knowledgeable members providing valuable information.

Based on the info, comments, and even wiring diagrams(!!!) I’ve received I’m sure it’s a switch for the stereo. Thus armed, I’ll dig into the wiring behind the dash and figure out where and if the wires are connected. And pulling battery leads to figure out which of the batteries things are connected to. I’ll report back here what I find.

Like others here, I don’t use the van stereo once I’m camping. I just play music from my phone through a small JBL bluetooth speaker.I don’t really need the switch to function but it would be nice to restore it to factory spec.

Thanks again for all the help,
Fritz
campIV is offline   Reply With Quote