Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #11

Re: Everything plus the kitchen sink in an RB?

Ours is a reworked RB 13 in an EB- it has a bed extender in the open rear so it's plenty big to sleep on bottom (I'm 6'3"), plenty of windows, a pass thru if need be, and the exterior shower works great off the back of the van with a pop up enclosure. It's not exactly what you're looking for but worth a look.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5285

tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Shhhhh...don't tell her that there are doors in the back too.
Yeah...I know
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #13

We have an EB with the dinette in the back and a gaucho on the passenger side. I'm 5' 10" and can sleep catty corner on the dinette but it's not the best. Our gaucho has a drop in piece that spans the back passenger door giving me a full size bed. If you go to the DYO RB examples on the Sportsmobile site we are the second van. We're an EB but they put us in the RB section mistakenly. Anyhow you can get a better idea of what the extension looks like. Someone also mentioned about putting tall cabinets on both sides of the van. There is a Chevy van for sale on the Texas used site. It has a full fixed bed across the back and tall cabinets on both sides. It should give you some idea of the claustrophobic effect created by the tall cabinets. Good Luck
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #14

I reworked my floor plan a bit. Bath and shower in the left rear corner, galley in the back. Gaucho with extension on the street side. Not shown are upper cabinets in the Cruiser top. The Gaucho w/extension should be able to sleep the two of us...I never stretch out to sleep anyway...I'm usually in the fetal position

This way we maintain some windows, have a nice sleeping area and lots of kitchen and clothing storage. My wife still gets her loo and we'll have a kitchen with cook-top, microwave and a decent sized fridge.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

Everything plus the kitchen sink in an RB?

That's way better. I think the bed in that position is much more versatile and it puts the bathroom in a much better spot. And it's a bit more isolated from the eating area. Makes a better seating spot.

And you're right, the penthouse in SK would be a drag....unless you NEED a reason not to camp in -50.....
Old 06-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Site Team

One thing to think about (as if you need more). Moving the stove closer to the side door allows cooking near an open side door which is nice. I do see however that you have a window right above the stove, so maybe that's good enough for you. Also a portable stove would allow indoor and outdoor cooking depending on weather. Looks like you have a built-in stove.

Herb
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
One thing to think about (as if you need more). Moving the stove closer to the side door allows cooking near an open side door which is nice. I do see however that you have a window right above the stove, so maybe that's good enough for you. Also a portable stove would allow indoor and outdoor cooking depending on weather. Looks like you have a built-in stove.

Herb
Definitely wanted an inside stove but in good weather, we'll for sure be cooking outside. The ability to boil water for tea/coffee inside when the weather outside is frightful will be priceless. Besides, you gotta boil water to cook perogies

Any more thoughts on the Gaucho with extension for sleeping? It seems like it's a bit smaller than a queen-sized standard bed. Length-wise should be okay. Width might be tight but that's okay. Anyone sleep on a Gaucho? What about where the cushion folds? I'm thinking a mattress pad cover (thick one) or a feather bed on top would ease the dip between the bottom cushion and backrest when in the down/sleeping position.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage

I'd ask SMB for the design of that Saudi van. I'd have no use for the extra seating but the design was nice. I don't know if it had a propane heater which takes space. I did like the way both rear seats folded out to make one big bed. It was limited on closet space but w/o the rear captain seat behind the driver it would free up some space.

A fixed stove is a luxury and sure is nice especially during those cool morning and cold days. I think they make single burner propane stove inserts and if I would have found one before I installed my twin burner, as much as I actually cook inside, a single burner would have been fine for my needs. The two burner stove takes up quite a bit of counter space. YMMV. I had used one of those butane stoves (even inside) for several years but prefer propane inside and out. It is nice to grab a quick cup of coffee w/o having to set up an outside stove in the morning when you’re on the move.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
Definitely wanted an inside stove but in good weather, we'll for sure be cooking outside. The ability to boil water for tea/coffee inside when the weather outside is frightful will be priceless. Besides, you gotta boil water to cook perogies

Any more thoughts on the Gaucho with extension for sleeping? It seems like it's a bit smaller than a queen-sized standard bed. Length-wise should be okay. Width might be tight but that's okay. Anyone sleep on a Gaucho? What about where the cushion folds? I'm thinking a mattress pad cover (thick one) or a feather bed on top would ease the dip between the bottom cushion and backrest when in the down/sleeping position.
I didn't install propane, and use portable propane all the time. Mostly single burner. I had SMB install the metal heat shield over counter space toward the rear, and it's right next to a window. Works great, especially if you cook outside frequently. Cooking inside just requires that you don't kill yourself with CO....

I've never noticed the fold while sleeping on my gaucho. It is a little tight width wise; I'm 6-1, and so it works with the extension. If the taller person is on the outside you've got more length cuz you stick out in the aisle. It goes almost all the way to the cabinets on the other side. Since you don't sleep right on the edge, in practice you've almost got the width from driver's wall to passenger cabinet. Mattress pad would work, but pretty bulky when the thing's up. Try a couple of towels stuffed in it if you feel the need; you probably will have them onboard anyway. Mine fits pretty tight.

Rob
Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #20

Everything plus the kitchen sink in an RB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
Anyone sleep on a Gaucho? What about where the cushion folds? I'm thinking a mattress pad cover
I have a rear dinette, thus have a backrest fold and a crease where the two halves meet in the middle.

I can sleep directly on top of any point / crease / junction and be surprisingly comfortable -- I barely notice it. Others have made the same comment as they, too, were happily surprised.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote