Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #11

Ric,
Yes, you can pay to have a SMB driver take it to NV and then pay for his plane ticket home. It all adds up.
We had to bite the sales tax bullet because we needed to take the SMB back to Oakland to load and pull the trailer to get out of the state. It was convoluted; one of those "Oh, well." moments.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #12

Buying an SMB in Indiana is much friendlier. I could opt to pay the sales tax or not. Nancy told me it was easier for her if I paid the taxes, so I did. And then SMBI gave me a 30 day temporary tag to drive home.

When I registered the van in California, they gave me credit for the taxes paid in Indiana, which I knew they would do - having suffered through the CA DMV on prior occasions.

It seems CA will not miss an opportunity to squeeze blood from a turnip - er, I meant money from a source. Except of course for trailers which now get a permanent license for a one time fee. Go figure.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:34 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Ric would you happen to be Mr Johnson? Here are the only 2 I saw @ SMB.

The other was Mr Janka.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
That would be me Dave...at least that's the story my parents are sticking to....and I do appreciate you posting those pictures!

Ric
Old 08-13-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
I'm do back Friday so if you want more of the inside or something post back or PM me. Looked pretty empty inside there. Now the wait. Some nights I had a hard time sleeping and would get up and look over the order form because I was so pumped up. Must have made hundreds of changes and for some strange reason it got more and more expensive.
Have fun.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Having just picked up my van in Huntington last month I can tell you that Indiana did require me to pay taxes. Nancy said that the law had changed a while back so that you had to pay the taxes in Indiana. The ability to get those taxes refunded is going to depend on what state YOU live in. For New York, some states they credit, some they don't and 2 they only credit a portion of. And don't you know 1 of those 2 is Indiana. So they were willing to credit me the 4% state portion of the taxes paid. Still better than if it had been one of the states with no credit given at all.

But hey, I wanted my van so badly by that time that I'm lucky someone didn't tell me I'd have to trade my mother for it. (One month of ownership under my belt and I am lovin' it.)
Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 AM   #17

Dave,

I've been wearing my lucky Huambisa Clan shrunken head necklace 24/7 so hopefully when you go back Friday the van will have magically disappeared from SMBW. I know about the "wait" syndrome as well and now seeing the pictures...I'll probably look at them everyday.

...and for those of you thinking "that sick sick man"....I really haven't worn the shrunken head necklace 24/7.

...I take it off when I shower.

Ric
Old 09-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #18

Just an update....

It finally arrived in Austin. The carrier was supposed to bring back 3 SMB's from Fresno but only arrived with 2. Lack of communication was the culprit says Paul but luckily mine is here. I signed off on the work order today and the delivery date should be about OCT 13th.

Funny thing here... I took a few laps around the block with it just to see how it handled and there was a semi parked almost in the middle of the street and this guy was unloading some things from the trailer. There was also a pickup parked by the curb so you had to kinda squeeze in between both of them to get by. The 1st trip around the guy had to step aside so I could go by. The second time around the guy looks over his shoulder and there I am again sitting there waiting to get by....he stops what he's doing and steps aside so I can drive by again. Now the third time I come around the corner he's got his hand propped up against the trailer just kinda leaning there like he was expecting me. I'm like...dude, that's the last time...he just kinda laughed and made a nice comment on the ride.

Ric
Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #19
Site Team

Looks like you've got a big caboose back there.

Funny how the rear end looks so much bigger without any windows, big bumpers,...

Congrats, you're almost there.

Herb
Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #20

It does look a lot bigger!
Makes my RB look like a Westfalia.

congrats!

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote