Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #11

Re: Deep water fording

I don't know what the fridge exhaust looks like. If it's anything like the suburban heater exhaust it would be impossible (meaning you would have to make a new pluggable or closeable exhaust cover).

Do you have photos of the exhaust and where it comes out?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 AM   #12

The snorkel is a good idea not only for water but also for dusty roads as you have less dust high up... and there are sort of pre-filter systems on them...

If I where deep water fording I would worry about vents (bring them above with pipes) for diffs, 'box and T-case, also on turbo engines the heat shock is pretty violent, manifolds too...

I had a Suzuki Samurai and regularly filled it with water the worst was the water always some how contaminated the oil in the diffs...

Of course SMBs and the like must have trap doors and shore power docks etc water can play havoc with
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:25 AM   #13

This is a true water crossing! it's great!!

For ford vans with the Triton motors the last thing you ever want to do is water near the plugs The way the motors are designed the plugs sit down in a hole that has no drainage and water then shorts the coil pack out. Then you are dead in the water.
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:32 AM   #14

The Brits are mad
just love it!!!
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #15

I have suburban heater but havent put the vent system on i was vondering if i could use the same vent for both an put it higer on the car and make some kind of plugg for it or maybe an new cover
From Iceland 1993 Ford Econoline 7,3 e4od Dana 60 front and rear 4:10 difs and ARB lokkers 38" summer tyres
Larus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #16

That's not deep...

Unfortunate that it's a Toyota, but what are ya gonna do.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #17

Somehow, those Youtube videos remind me of the Darwin Awards. Unnatural selection if you will.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:52 PM   #18

This is the most impressive water crossing I've ever seen. Notice the snorkle gear!
scoobasteeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #19

I think the biggest problem with the Ford vans and deep water crossing is the location of the air intake which is located just behind the drivers side headlight. If the water hits the front bumper and starts pushing over you will be in serious danger of flooding your engine, and then your deep water crossing will have just turned into deep water recovery.

John
Old 11-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #20

This has been one of my main concerns with my build. Being from Missouri originally deep water crossings are a part of life and it gets in your blood. My jeep I always used the if I can touch rule (if I can walk across a crossing and touch the entire way I could drive it) I am 6'2" my jeep was sealed up snorkled and big. You just have to allow for the current when you enter the water and where you plan to exit. It has been my experience with my trucks and vans that as long as you stay moving preferably with the current if there is one, water intrusion is minimal hence the importance of a snorkel. I put a piece of closed cell foam under the door of my furnace to help slow down water entry. When the furnace is in use I open the door and remove it. Snorkels are worth their weight in gold much like a winch. You may never need it and you never plan on crossing water that deep but the one time fill a engine up in the middle of no where that darn snorkel is priceless. And I am sure some people will say they would never put their van in compromising position. However I can think of quite a few times that I have crossed creeks with little or no water in them to come back the next day to a roaring current and it never even rained where I was. The truth is a simple up stream flood can reroute or put a trip on hold in a matter of seconds. In the past two years I have ran into a handful of crossing in CO and Utah that I had to turn around because of the lack of a snorkel and the confidence that goes with it. Most gas engines you can winch out of a creek pull the plugs and be back in business in about 30 minutes, but with our big diesel vans prevention is key. I have plans in the not so far off future to build a snorkel for mine but I want it to be a well thought out good looking piece of equipment not dryer duct ran up to my roof. Unfortunatly no one makes a van snorkel because the demand for them would be in the low double digits. There is a guy that goes by the name dansvan from ak that built cleanest looking snorkel I have seen on a van.
72 bronco aod injected 351 4 linked arb f/r 38in swampers
72 bronco 302 c4 soon to be 4bt w/ 5speed 4 inch lift 33 swampers
81 cj 7 in pieces at the moment injected twin turbo 401
ktm 525 exc, 620sx,
62 caddy convertible waiting for me to install 2007 northstar
dsw4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote