Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 AM   #131

Re: Accrete's 2010 Chevy Express AWD project

Regarding you Boulder Off Road Lift Kit, did you have to buy longer brake lines? Any modifications you had to make or was this a nice simple bolt on affair and you're done?

I have a 2012 Chevrolet Express Van 1500 AWD and I am also looking into the Boulder kit. I love your project!!! This year Im planning on getting the Penthouse installed through Sportsmobile out here in California. Just reading all your post is awesome. So informative! Thank you and please keep updating all of us

Dennis

deguzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #132

Hi Dennis and thanks for the kudos on the build.

I had a local friend & mechanic install the kit. He stated there was nothing unusual or any added/mods needed. A simple bolt on install.

Best wishes on your project also!
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #133

Just a ramble as i visit the forum...

Last week our area on the Oregon Coast had one of its "Winter Storms". Our local NOAA station reported gusts over 70mph at one point in the two day storm.

For those who have been following our van build you might recall it is my wife's daily driver. At one point in our ~4 mile trip to work we drive over a small bridge with a "One way traffic when trucks are present" kind of signage.

One of those storm days my wife arrived at work visibly shaken and shared of a near collision during her drive. . .

She was on the mid-span of the bridge (what is seen in the air just past the control room seen above) and two cars come roaring onto the bridge like they own it and at the same time a wind gust hits the van so hard it literally moved diagonally into the curb rubbing the rims. grrrr. The guys at the local tire center replaced a tire that hit so hard it split the sidewall (and these are 10ply!). Both wheels were taken off and found to be in balance and no issues were found when giving the rig a good look for alignment, etc so we lucked out.

This is the same area that a retired couple lost their 5th wheel trailer over the side of the bridge during a similar storm/gust a couple years back.

Ah life on the Oregon Coast. It is not for the faint of heart, or those who can't handle a little rain (~80" year).

Drive safe this winter.
Thom
Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 PM   #134

Glad to hear that you wife is OK after the excitement. Which bridge is that? I do not recognize it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #135

That's the second small bridge (the one over Lewis & Clark River) on old business 101 from Astoria toward the Warrenton/Astoria Airport.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:21 AM   #136
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Definitely glad the wife is okay---all the bolt on bits are easily replaced and naturally not quite as valuable!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #137

Wow, that is scary. Sorry about your rims but glad she is OK. I drive a tractor trailer and live in TN where we really don't have strong winds very often. Even so, when a gust hits the side of that 53' billboard (trailer) you will change lanes before you can react! Mother Nature rules!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #138

Re: Accrete's AWD Chevy Van project

Hi Thom,

I finally purchased our Chevy 1500 AWD van and we are laying out the game plan for a build out. I looked at the CR Lawerence website trying to determine which t-bar sliding window to install in the left rear of the van. Would you be able to post a exterior picture of the positioning of your window and perhaps the size and order number if available. Your info & photos of your build have sure given us a lot of food for thought. My wife thought your Froli bed system looked great. Thanks.

Jim
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #139

Hi Jim and best wishes on your build.
I'm a bit confused as to which window to measure. I have three windows in the van and they are all the factory-stock windows. Two on the rear barn doors and one on the curb side sliding door. All non opening. We get our air flow by installing a no-see-em mesh in the curb side cab window and cracking the window ~2" under the weather tech rain guard so rain doesn't come inside and the MaxxFan roof vent cracked a bit (weather proof).

We are glad we kept things stock, and if there is ever a Van 2.0 we have both decided to forgo all but the required cab windows.

Cheers,
Thom
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #140

Hi Thom,

Thanks for your reply. In the photos on page 6 (3rd post down) in the photo looking aft at your bed, isn't that a tinted window on the rightside of the photo which would be the left rear side of the van? I assume that the windows in your rear doors are fixed non opening as in my van? Is the interior of your van now fabric covered paneling since you had the remodel work done? Thanks.

Jim
azjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster