Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #101

Oh man. Can't wait.

Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #102

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
My buddy sent this to me:

"Flux Driving His Van to Work Next Week"

I'm not sure if this is driving or just floating with style

Hahahahaha! And you won't feel a thing on the way!

Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #103

STAGE 2 COMPLETE Agile Offroad Pickup Day

So after a night of tossing and turning I got on the road at 8 am and made it El Cajon and Agile before noon. Place was going nice today and they had a beauty Silver RB SMB on the lift getting 4x4. John and I took a spin and went through the 4x4 paces. Quick check on a thing or two and I was on my way!!

Quite honestly, I have never really driven a lifted vehicle and all my trucks are stock. I was pretty tentative heading home in heavy traffic in a vehicle that handles differently than anything I have driven. At highway speed it does very well. It reminds me a bit of my wife's old Audi A6 that had sport suspension in that if you hit a bump or dip the vehicle returns to neutral very quickly. With the steering dampened it you still get some steering feedback here and there on the awesome california freeways. I was befuddled by some sway but then I realized the wind was absolutely howling over the passes near Fallbrook, but it handled it great. Couldn't really open it up too much in the packed highways. It is a big old lifted rig though!!

I had planned to drive dirt roads the last 20 miles home, but a late start and heavy traffic ruined that as it was dark. Hopefully soon I can get out and learn my way around the dirt. Soon!!

When I brought it in I had told John that it is fast!! The V10 winds out the 5 speed pretty hard. He agreed and one of the other guys, George I think, theorized that it may have had a tune the way it shifts. I lost a bit of acceleration with the big tires, but so far my choice to keep the 3.73 gearing seems pretty good. Time will tell though when I put another 1000 lbs on it and take it offroad. I do think that it needs some breaking in, maybe it was me, but it seemed to do better as the trip went on and the tires and suspension settled. John said it would find it's spot, especially the rear springs.

I will say that my experience with Agile was 100% positive. John took a lot of time with me going over things and educating me. Our emails started before I even bought the van. I professed to him that I am not a motorhead and have never really offroaded in a serious fashion. Just today he showed me how they valve shocks, how a locking hub works, planetary gears, alignment cams......and anything else laying around that I could take a look at. Amazing experience and I am glad i didn't have to hurry out of there. All the folks down there are top notch. Great crew!

Time and miles will tell on the conversion, but I love it so far and any reservations are just me getting used to the new characteristics of the vehicle and getting comfortable with it.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #104

Looks great. Congratulations on your updated ride.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #105

Very nice ride. I spotted it on the rack when I was visiting a few weeks ago. The storage box gave it away but it took me seeing this thread later in the week to realize it was a forum members. Looking forward to getting out with you in the El Paso's.
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #106

That looks awesome. I love the way it sits. What size tire/wheel combo is that?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #107

Those are 17x9 Pro Comp 69 Series with 285 BFG KO's. So about 32.5 with a 4" lift. I am very stoked on the appearance. It's just what I envisioned and thanks for the compliments!! Agile makes a great setup for 33"-ish tires.

Can't wait to put it through it's paces a bit and break in the suspension.

It looks real nice with stock bumpers and such, but it'll get the flat black treatment all around.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #108

Very nice! Same tires, same size I'm planning to go with, but 16"s.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #109
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Very nice! Same tires, same size I'm planning to go with, but 16"s.

Doesn't that limit your options if you want to go with bigger brakes?

Herb
Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #110

I'm not worried about the bigger brakes on mine. I did 2012 brakes on Rusty with 16"s and they fit with a little guidance from Ramsey. My axle for my conversion is an 06, so not the newest brakes but they'll be better than what's there now. I have drilled and slotted rotors I'm hoping to use and better pads go a long way. Also, this isn't going to be a heavy build. I guess I've driven enough crappy work trucks over the years that I don't really feel limited by less than ideal brakes anyway.