Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #1

Side window install?

Anyone here ever installed their own side window? I am talking about on the side right behind the driver. I am looking at installing my window in the near future and would like to hear some stories and/or pics. Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to bettyford
Re: Side window install?

I have not done mine yet but I'm going to.

This is what i think.

Put the window up to the inside wall trace it grab the Jig saw and have at it. You can see where it should go just by looking at the inside wall. There will be a flange on the window that will cover the fact that I have never been able to cut a straight line.

Ok Now maybe someone will tell us how to really do it.

Hope this helps

Ron
Old 03-09-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

LOL I'm with you!! I am just gonna make some lines and go! I'm sure there is some sort of installation kit out there?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #4

I installed 2 CRL windows on my E150. A large one behind the driver and another one on the sliding door. It was pretty easy to do. I wasn't sure at first which line of the van to follow : the "recessed" line at mid height on the body or the roof line...The roof line is not straight...so i followed the mid line which is level I think. It took me a bit of measuring before ordering my window. I had the choice between 3 sizes very similar. All within one inch or two in length and height. I don't remember exactly which one I got but I think I ordered the largest one.
If I remember correctly, you can see from the inside where it should go because of the structure.
I remember measuring from the inside where my window would go and drill one hole at each corner from the inside. Then I traced it outside. I used a grinder to cut the wall. Bad decision...too much dust (that rusts) and hard to make the curves.
And yes you will have a trim on the inside to cover your cut and also to pull the window in. I added a nice black bead of silicone sealant outside and it has been working really well for a year. I am very happy with my windows. I had a picture of the van cut open but I can't find it anymore.
Hope this helps.
JT

jtolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #5

Looks good. I'd like a larger window over there, even though most of it would be behind the sink/counter. Are those skylights?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #6

Thanks j, so what did you end up using to cut out the opening on the window? Looks like a good job!!

I plan on doing this pretty soon!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #7

Yes i have two skylights on my roof. There are actually hatches from boats. they are kind of older style so not flush at all but it's ok. They leak a little. I have to pull the plexiglass out of the frame and re-bed it... and I keep removing and adding some new sealant around them but the sun gets to it so quickly. I have to fiberglass them in place. The rear skylight is a little bigger. I was lucky because they both fit perfectly in between the roof ribs . the front one opens forward and the rear one opens backwards so that I can lock them open and have a really good air flow inside. I also cut those openings with a grinder. I didn't know better and if I had to do it again today, I would use a jigsaw with a $8 dollar blade, tape the jigsaw base to make sure I don't scratch the paint around and give it a try. I also filled and glassed the two middle grooves on the roof in front, in between and behind the hatches so that I don't have water staying there (after that trip I took those pictures from !!!)..
If I had to redo it, I am not sure I would!! I thought it would be really nice to have but I don't use them as often and that front one annoys me. I get the sun on my neck during the day and when I sleep on my bench (right behind the front seats) I get the lights from the freeway rest stops...I guess I would have to spend more time to fix it, waterproof it once and for all, and make some blinds...
jtolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #8

My fantastic fan is annoying with the sun, but I have a cover- just board and 2 layers of reflectix. It's rough and I've always meant to make something better, but it cuts the sun and road noise.
Attached Thumbnails
domesdone.jpg