Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #41

Super Camper Van Top, Another White Van Build

RV2713L Drivers side
Rv2713R Passenger side
Pic shows where the Passenger side window will go. CRL does not supply these will the hardware or the sealant foam tape, so I had to run down my supplies locally, thank you Ricks Trailer Supply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
smugdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #42

Re: Super Camper Van Top, Another White Van Build

Does this top give a lot more headroom compared to the 24" bubble top?

This is 30"? So the difference in theory would be 6" more headroom?

Does that mean that the external top of the roof is now 30" higher than the external top of the original van? (ignoring of course any tire/suspension changes)
Old 02-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #43

I think it does have a lot more headroom. I measured from my floor which has a 3/8" foil backed jute and 5/8 ply over that and I have 79" to the bare fiberglass. On another note this top extends over the front and when compared to a sportsmobile installed roof it extends further over the windshield by ~6 - 8". It's not only headroom it's the sq. footage also, just more roomy in general plus the storage over, and extended over the front cab.

I believe it is 30" above the original roof. I will try and take some measurements. When I first called on this top they told me it was a 32" top but I don't believe that yet.

Later!

2006 E350 EB, V-10, 6 inch UJoint Offroad 4X4 Conversion, Fiberine Super Camper Top
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smugdoug
Alright, finally made my visit to Fiberine and put my deposit down on the Super Camper Top

When I was there they had just, in the last day or two, finished a Super Camper top and here are my spy photos of the inside, you'll notice the strips of wood through out the fiberglass. I call it waffle board, but I can't remember the actual term for this board.

I told Annabel to replicate this configuration of wood for mine minus some of the wood toward the front, on the sides, Because I'm not sure about exact placement of my windows at this point. There is a lot of wood around the rear, where the A/C unit platform is. What are the opinions out there? I still feel like it is too much wood now that I'm home. I will be calling Fiberine tomorrow and let her know if there will be any modifications to the amount of wood used. Estimated time of completions is two weeks from today!

I've never posted on anything before so forgive me for my newbeeness and if this is in another thread, but I take it the scrap wood on the reverse flange that fiberine uses when they install tops is in the last picture in the bottom right hand corner? And not to hijack the thread but how has people faired when fiberine installs the reverse flange top as far as leaking water? Thanks
sac95985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Latest pic.

Smugdoug, looks great man!!! I have not seen these type tops on thier site. I would think almost everyone would want one like this sportsmobile type. Anyhow, looks great!
Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #46

sac95985, Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, they used some OSB(maybe scraps) to sandwich the fiberglass flange to the van roof with silicone as their sealant in between the flange and the van roof. Then they use 3-4 carriage bolts per side for some more strength. I've only heard good things about the reverse flange sealing. I don't have previous experience installing tops so I can't speak to the sealing of any other type of top, but it just seams that the reverse flange gives you the best sealing ability.

Fiberine makes a great top and have some great people working there, when it came down to installing it, I knew I could do it and I would know exactly how it was sealed and felt better going that route. The top I have installed is called the "Super Camper" and it is listed under their full size van tops.

Later

Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #47

Quote:
sac95985, Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, they used some OSB(maybe scraps) to sandwich the fiberglass flange to the van roof with silicone as their sealant in between the flange and the van roof. Then they use 3-4 carriage bolts per side for some more strength. I've only heard good things about the reverse flange sealing. I don't have previous experience installing tops so I can't speak to the sealing of any other type of top, but it just seams that the reverse flange gives you the best sealing ability.

Fiberine makes a great top and have some great people working there, when it came down to installing it, I knew I could do it and I would know exactly how it was sealed and felt better going that route. The top I have installed is called the "Super Camper" and it is listed under their full size van tops.

Later
smugdoug,

I think I have been going to thier old site. I see it on there now on a brown E serris.

Not to pry, butI did not see prices, about how much is the top as configured and how much do they charge to install it? I take it that if they install it then they have some guaruntee that it will not leak for so long? 4 bolts on each side is all that holds it on or does the butyl tape act as a fixative as well as a sealeant?

Thanks man, the top looks great on your van!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #48

I will PM you.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #49

Super Camper Van Top, Another White Van Build

Camper Top Windows are in, I'm happy with the extra light they provide. Plus they look good if I do say so.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #50

Looking good buddy!
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote