Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #21

Re: 6.7L Cummins conversion project

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I like my '69 Bronco. Intake valve opens, gas goes in, distributor spins, sends electricity to a plug, spark happens, gas goes boom. Repeat.
Haha! I know man, I sometimes think about how easy it was to work on my cars back when I was really into 60's era Pontiacs...

I just can't let technology pass me by though. Like it or not, computers are just going to get more and more integrated into vehicles and it will become more difficult and more expensive to fix them. I'm trying to get ahead of the curve, maybe it will lead to something I can make some money at.

I've had some hack mechanics try to cheat my wife on "complicated electronics" repairs when all the car really needed was a routine service. If I didn't know what I know, I wouldn't be able to call BS and have fun watching them back pedal when they realized I knew more about the stuff than they did.

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
I like my '69 Bronco. Intake valve opens, gas goes in, distributor spins, sends electricity to a plug, spark happens, gas goes boom. Repeat.

Those were the days...I had a coil wire on my 67 Camaro that fed the distributer fry and used a coat hanger to get me back from Yosemite. I hate new engines other what they produce in HP and torque.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Those were the days...I had a coil wire on my 67 Camaro that fed the distributer fry and used a coat hanger to get me back from Yosemite. I hate new engines other what they produce in HP and torque.
Not to mention that new engines start and run well in cold weather, get better mileage, pollute less, last longer, etc.

I love new engines for all the above reasons.

I love old engines when I have to work on them.

I have to admire someone willing to dig into the data bus to make a conversion work.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #24

Time for an update now that I'm done with my school work for the term! I didn't get a lot done on the conversion project in the last few weeks because of the ridiculous homework assignments and final but now I have some time off to get some stuff movin'!!!

I started my usual morning parts hunting routine with a quick glance at craigslist and car-part.com...nothing new. Same ol' stuff, way too expensive. I moved over to Ebay, entered my usual search terms and was again disappointed that nothing new was coming up. Then on a whim, I clicked on a suggested search with what seemed like an odd combination of terms and what do you know??? A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!!

A (very) low miles Allison 1000 6-speed WITH the SAE# 3 bell housing just like I wanted!!! The van's new drivetrain is almost complete! I still have several smaller parts to round up but this is the last of the "big ticket" items.

Before I start the next term, I'd like to get an engine stand built and the engine/trans wiring all routed into a convenient bundle to integrate into the van. I'm also hoping to get far enough with my ECM to get the engine started. That would be Christmas miracle #2. I don't think I've been THAT good this year though...
Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #25

This is gonna be sweet.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #26
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks

Absolutely! I'm a bit OCD about this kind of stuff, it has to be just like a factory install otherwise it will drive me crazy. I source the automotive style sealed connector bodies and terminals through companies like Mouser. I've had the tools for years since I've done quit a bit of wiring.

There wont be a single butt connector in this swap.
Back tracking a bit here..........been a while since I followed this project!

I've become somewhat adept myself with the Delphi Metri-Pak and Weather-Pak connectors too. Mouser is a great resource if you know what you need---I found several pages that help select shells, terminals and secondary lock pieces:

http://delphi.com/connectors/assets/...es_Section.pdf

http://www.whiteproducts.com/catalog...ctsCatalog.pdf

Sadly the second link won't sell to we smaller users--NAPA is one of their customers---but that link has great reference information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
I started my usual morning parts hunting routine with a quick glance at craigslist and car-part.com...nothing new. Same ol' stuff, way too expensive. I moved over to Ebay, entered my usual search terms and was again disappointed that nothing new was coming up. Then on a whim, I clicked on a suggested search with what seemed like an odd combination of terms and what do you know??? A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!!
Often I've been frustrated with eBay's suggested searches but like you have occasionally been pleasantly shocked how productive they can be! That's just great you found something of the miracle status!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350

Not to mention that new engines start and run well in cold weather, get better mileage, pollute less, last longer, etc.
You forgot "being able to plug in an OBDII scanner, jump on the computer for a code and order the part".....that's pretty handy as well.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #28

A little progress on the wiring this evening...

Pile on the left is all the unneeded junk I removed. The top of the screen is the bundle of signal wires and the C2 connector that plugs into the ECM. Below that are the powers and grounds then a couple connections on the engine. The rest of the harness is for the DEF/SCR system.

The powers and grounds will be relatively easy to integrate into the Ford harness/fuse block. The big a$$ black bundle grounds to the chassis, the big red wire is a fused Batt+ and the rest are ignition+ (with their own fused circuit in the underhood panel of course). I even have the CAN wires separated out so I can make my own diagnostics port for the engine (and I'll incorporate the trans CAN wires in there as well).

The bundle of signal wires will be pretty simple too. Most of them already have a home (sensors and actuators on the engine), others will need to be integrated into the Ford harness somehow.

I'm going to leave the harness partially nude for the time being because I'll probably have to run some wires for the trans harness in the same bundle. After I'm done though, it will look like a factory harness...
Old 12-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #29
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Looking good so far----love the attention to detail!

Like yourself the finished look of the factory wiring harnesses is something I strive for too. Even though they're rarely seen and less often appreciated for what goes into them that doesn't matter a bit to me. Not only do they protect the wiring the attention to detail makes future service work much easier.

Along with the various connectors et al I use the convoluted split loom and a non-adhesive vinyl tape similar to factory assemblies. Having dissected a few replicating them is somewhat easy, at least IMHO. Here's what I've used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Inch-Non-A...item4611a714e3

I bought the 3/4" but doing it again would get 1/2" and 1" too----really rounds out the electrical connector inventory!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #30

Thanks for the link JWA. I was just about to start looking for more of that!!

Call me crazy but I love this tedious wiring stuff! In a swap like this, getting the wiring dialed is incredibly important, not only from a serviceability stand point but also as a "protect your wallet" strategy. Imagine how awesome you'd feel if you fried an ECM and/or took out a couple other modules with a shorted wire?? IF you can find one, this Cummins ECM runs $1200+. I don't mind spending hours meticulously detailing each and every wire and double and triple checking wiring diagrams because I know that in the long run, it will save me time in trouble shooting (and save my already abused wallet).

Last night I looked over the Ford diagrams and the battery junction box (under-hood fuse panel) now that I have the engine wiring somewhat sorted. It looks like I'll have all of the Batt+ and ignition+ locations I need in the fuse block once I remove the 5.4L related stuff. This is pretty awesome actually... it means I'll have all the fuses and relays already integrated and I just need to move a few wires around. The bad news is that the bundle of wires coming out of the BJB is enormous and it goes everywhere... It will take a bunch of work to strip the harness down to separate out these wires. I have an extra van harness that I plan on tearing into to see where the wires I need are...maybe I'll get lucky and they all have short runs.