Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #1

Help

Broke down in Grand Island, Ne...
2001 7.3 133k miles on motor

Losing power when under any incline...50mph...
Shutters occasionally..
When I put my foot into it on flat ground it just doesn’t have any pull and slowly gets going...
If there’s anyone with any info to help...
at a shop now... replaced fuel filter...checked fuel pump..@50psi
Hoses all look good..

Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

HPOP also was checked and is in line with computer.
No codes have ever showed either...
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #3

So I’m just looking for any ideas...
the shop I’m at works on the 7.3s but are not certain...as to what’s going on.
I did use put 40gallons of diesel in at a flying J about 100 miles ago...
Bad fuel was a thought...
Old 07-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #4

I'm not a diesel guy... at all...

I'm sure you've already checked, but when one of my old work trucks (6.0) suddenly stopped making power, it turned out to be a hose had popped off the cold side of the turbo piping. I thought it had to have been a catastrophic failure, but it was about a 20 minute fix with no parts.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #5

Garage
I'm not a diesel guy either.......but since you mentioned that you DO have fuel pressure (was that tested at the fuel rails?) and since a diesel engine doesn't need spark, there's only one thing left that is needed for proper combustion --- air flow.

Again I'm just doing academic armchair-mechanic theorizing here. Is there any kind of MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor on that 7.3 that could be bad? Or clogged air filters?

It sounds like your truck starts and runs ok at idle....? So glow plugs would then theoretically be fine (and unnecessary for engine operation once the engine was started/warmed up)?

I'd be looking at either airflow issues or computer/sensor issues....but again, not a diesel guy

Just trying to lob some ideas out there that might prompt a new line of thought/investigation.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I'm not a diesel guy... at all...

I'm sure you've already checked, but when one of my old work trucks (6.0) suddenly stopped making power, it turned out to be a hose had popped off the cold side of the turbo piping. I thought it had to have been a catastrophic failure, but it was about a 20 minute fix with no parts.
^^^^^^^To this point^^^^^^ I've had similar happen twice. first time the turbo hose blew a small dime size section of the hose (manufacturer defect with the hose), and the second time I was cresting a long grade (turbo boost registering 29psi on Scangauge at the time) when a very loud "hissss" echoed through the cab - lost basically all power from the engine. similar to TheLetterJ, My Hose popped off as well. I tried to continue through the next grade, but had same symptoms you're having now...enter AAA.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #7

Hey guys.. thanks for the replies.
I’ve been driving the past two days and didn’t get a chance to update...
Here’s a bit more to the story.

Prior to the vacation across the Midwest, I had all fluids and filter changed. Everything was good until I filled up at a Flying J in Omaha.
I noticed some sputtering initially but powered through it. Eventually the van started losing power and topped out at 50 with no power on any small incline.
After being turned down at two Ford Dealers because it was late afternoon on Friday, I found a shop.
First thing the did was inspected all hoses...all good.
They did some tests on the HPOP and determined it was within specs..
Replaced the fuel filter even though I just did it... we hooked up a computer and took a drive...my fuel pump was registering real low under power but the issue had stopped with the new filter... I replaced the fuel pump because it was at (I’m not very familiar with diesels so this is a guess) like 15psi when 50-60 is normal? Anyway, the new fuel pump was within specs and the van drive better than before.
Sooooo.. the shop figured I may have gotten some bad diesel and the fuel pump was also on its way out... so a new fuel filter and pump fixed it.
I’ve driven 1k miles since and no issues...
here’s a pic you might get a good laugh at just for fun...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	28500
Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 AM   #8

That's awesome Ron. I mean the sign, not your problems. You should drop that one in the 'funny signs' thread.

Glad you got rolling. I fuel a lot at Flying J/Pilot and have never gotten bad fuel. Pretty unusual.

I drove through the Omaha area recently (north/south on 29) and could not believe the flood damage. I had no idea it was that bad.

Safe travels!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:54 PM   #9

Glad to hear you’re back on the road!

I would check for tank delamination. It was an issue on the stock tanks years ago.. I never saw any signs of issues... but you never know.

P.S. What exactly does such a festival entail?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

Hey guys...
so i noticed some white smoke on start up this morning and decided to go to the ford dealership for a diagnosis....turns out a fuel injector is bad...

I was told to replace the whole bank of 4 on that side since I’m paying for the labor in the one...
does that mean I should do the other side too? I’m new to this and have heard both recommendations.

I’ve driven past that festival sign many times over the years and have only stopped for pics... not sure what they do, but I would imagine they eat a lot of nuts there...