Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2016, 04:16 PM   #51

I'm not sure about the device that DP Tuner uses but when using an SCT tuner on a 6.0 you can adjust for parameters like tire size, gearing, shift pressure, etc. Not sure about the 7.3 and how much the tranny is PCM controlled but don't assume it's taken care of in the tune.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #52

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
It will blow black smoke when I get on it, shifts can be a bit later than expected, couple of rpm spots it seems to slightly fluctuate/ not steady.
Anybody else notice this with the 80HP Daily tune? I've got an rpm surge around 40 mph and 60mph with the 80hp tune, and the 60hp tune has the same just less pronounced.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:52 PM   #53
Site Team

Garage
My 80 tune (on the 6.0) ran a little hot so Jody built a specific 60HP tune with regard to heat. The 80 pushed out more smoke than the 60 but both tunes don't produce a noticeable amount over stock. I did notice that the 40 FICM Atlas tune made more smoke when the tuner is set to stock. Guess I don't care that much about it anymore because they're now plugging into the vehicle checking for smog.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
My 80 tune (on the 6.0) ran a little hot so Jody built a specific 60HP tune with regard to heat. The 80 pushed out more smoke than the 60 but both tunes don't produce a noticeable amount over stock. I did notice that the 40 FICM Atlas tune made more smoke when the tuner is set to stock. Guess I don't care that much about it anymore because they're now plugging into the vehicle checking for smog.
This is just a guess as to why the stock strategy smokes more with the FICM tune is because the FICM has all the control over the fueling. The van is already detuned for 80 less HP and the stock strategy can't keep up. The PCM no longer has any say in what happens at the injector. One reason for the increased throttle response with the Atlas40 because the more fuel control is achieved at lower RPM. The turbo, EGR function, cooling fan, blah blah are all interrelated, connected in function by the underlying PCM strategy. But the strategy is already compromised on the vans. My belief (I noticed the same thing) is you want a custom PCM tune when running a FICM tune to maximize results. Tuners "tune around" the FICM by fooling the ICP sensor.

But you still have to roll into the throttle with the higher HP tunes. Even 65rwhp will be smoke a bit if you stomp on it but it clears up once the turbo lights up. That's the idea, the tune is dumping more fuel. Closed vanes spool the turbo faster.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #55

I've had my 80hp daily tune for a while now and have had a very annoying issue from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I still love it but it's not perfect. If I try to hold a steady speed at both 35mph and 55mph, my van surges or hesitates crazy. I need to either slow down or accelerate for it to stop. Mine is the 7.3 with 4.10 gears on 35's. Anyone else? I called DP but they didn't have an answer...

Cheers
David
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 AM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post
I've had my 80hp daily tune for a while now and have had a very annoying issue from the beginning. Don't get me wrong, I still love it but it's not perfect. If I try to hold a steady speed at both 35mph and 55mph, my van surges or hesitates crazy. I need to either slow down or accelerate for it to stop. Mine is the 7.3 with 4.10 gears on 35's. Anyone else? I called DP but they didn't have an answer...

Cheers
David
I've got the same issue and same setup.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #57
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
On mine too, most noticeable on my 80hp tune, it is a little strange when it starts shuddering driving down the road. I mostly use the 60 mountain tune, there's a hint of it at certain speeds or throttle input but not as pronounced as it is on the 80. I'm hoping there's no harm being done and it's just the small price we pay for clocking up the HP

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi View Post

Cheers
David
Interesting....I have the same tune, tire size and gears (still breaking them in) and I have had no issues, even with my old gear set.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #59

Garage
Anybody running the Infinity Mini? I can find next to zero about it. My understanding is that you don't have to tap into the PCM, plus it will read and clear codes on top of all the gauging functions available.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT View Post
Mine is at 1100. 1300 is a little high.

reviving an old thread

what's the purpose of the high idle tune? to warm up, or charge batteries faster?

Thanks!

Luke