Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
Great question....at this point the simplicity of the LED systems is a major bonus. The output is a little narrower than the HID, but that's extremely negligible if you aren't a lighting junkie. If it helps answer the question further, I will be running LED on my van here very soon.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
I'm very interested in these LED headlights. A follow up to AT's question:
Is the greater LED lux a result of the narrower LED output? Thus the HID light has comparable lumens but has a wider spread?

Thanks

Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #482

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I'm very interested in these LED headlights. A follow up to AT's question:
Is the greater LED lux a result of the narrower LED output? Thus the HID light has comparable lumens but has a wider spread?

Thanks
Kind of a loaded topic....the hotspot of the LED unit is more intense and visibly brighter in all ways compared to the HID setups. The difference in width is minimal. I am currently running the top of the line HID D2S setup on my van and will be switching to LED as I feel the added distance lighting provided by the more intense hotspot is beneficial for me. The LED unit's low beam is favored for intensity compared to the HID hotspot which is reserved for the high beam operation. If you are in an area that requires high beam use more frequently, the D2S HID setup is likely a better choice.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDOVAL View Post
The LED projectors have more output in terms of lux at a given distance than the current HID options we offer.
I'm currently running your early generation HID 50W ballast set up. Other than ease of instillation, will the LED setup be brighter, shine further or be a big improvement in light output (brighter)? In other words, will I be able to see better down the road? Thanks..........
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:57 PM   #484

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
I'm currently running your early generation HID 50W ballast set up. Other than ease of instillation, will the LED setup be brighter, shine further or be a big improvement in light output (brighter)? In other words, will I be able to see better down the road? Thanks..........
Based on what I've seen first hand I would say the answer is yes. There is a noticeable difference in distance capabilities. Some people in the headlight world don't like them as they do sacrifice some width, but I can't see a ton of a difference in the van application (width limits can be headlight housing based).

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
Old 03-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #485

Hi Scott,

I'm looking at your Ford Econoline Advanced LED Projector Retrofit Headlight Kit for my 2002 E-350 7.3 diesel. Mine has the sealed beam factory lights, so obviously I'd be converting over to this setup. Just a couple questions ...

I've looked at the TRS website, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between the Apollo 2.0 and 3.0 shrouds. Can you explain?

I assume I need to add the LED Turn Signal Kit on the order form?

You say the LED strip along the bottom can be "wired as you choose" ... what options do I have? (electrical is my least favorite system on the van)

Curious if you have done these all black, with no chrome at all (or if that's possible)?

OK, more than a couple questions ... thanks in advance for your response.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #486

Curious if you have done these all black, with no chrome at all (or if that's possible)?

x2 on this one. Been through all the pix and don't see anyone that has done this (other than on the sealed units)
kccourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 PM   #487

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlbaker3 View Post
Hi Scott,

I'm looking at your Ford Econoline Advanced LED Projector Retrofit Headlight Kit for my 2002 E-350 7.3 diesel. Mine has the sealed beam factory lights, so obviously I'd be converting over to this setup. Just a couple questions ...

I've looked at the TRS website, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between the Apollo 2.0 and 3.0 shrouds. Can you explain?

I assume I need to add the LED Turn Signal Kit on the order form?

You say the LED strip along the bottom can be "wired as you choose" ... what options do I have? (electrical is my least favorite system on the van)

OK, more than a couple questions ... thanks in advance for your response.
The shrouds are simply aesthetic covers that surround the projector body to enhance the appearance of the assembly. The Apollo 2 and 3 shrouds are similar, but the 2 has only 4 main "lobes" compared to more than four on the 3. Both are excellent choices for the van housings as they are large in diameter and do a good job to fill the housings.

The LED turn signal kit consists of a pair of 3157 LED turn signal bulbs and a flasher relay to prevent the system from hyper-flashing due to the lower current needs of the bulbs. We use switchback turn signal bulbs that have white running lights and amber turn signal lights. When signaling or in hazard mode the white lights turn off and the bulbs will flash amber only. When done signaling, the white lights return and remain on steady. This kit can be added at the time of purchase or anytime after as they are a simple swap in the turn signal housing alone.

The LED strip at the base of the Advanced kits can be wired up three ways. We send the kits with a harness that is intended to be routed and connected to the turn signal wiring with the use of t-taps (easy process). In this first scenerio the lights will come on with the first detent of the headlight switch (running light/parking light mode) and remain on with the headlights. The second connection method is to an ignition source so the leds are illuminated at all times with the ignition on. This is more involved and requires running a wire through the firewall to access the wiring under the steering column. A relay should be added to the circuit. The third method is wiring them to an independently powered manual switch setup.

These lights can be painted, but the additional cost of the paint will be passed along to the purchaser as it will be done by a local professional auto body shop for a durable finish. If you choose to go this route we need to talk more before you order so we are clear on the details and additional pricing. We do now offer many shrouds in a Black Series finish that is sure to change the look with a gloss black appearance compared to the standard chrome.

Hopefully this helps a bit!

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
Old 03-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #488

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kccourtney View Post

x2 on this one. Been through all the pix and don't see anyone that has done this (other than on the sealed units)
KC- same as above, it can be done at an additional cost. We will post some photos of the Black Series shrouds as soon as they arrive.

Scott Thompson
Vantage Optics
vantageoptics.com
Vantageoptics@gmail.com
424-250-0270
Old 03-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #489

Thanks for the info. And I'd definitely like to see a pic of those Black Series shrouds when you have them.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #490

Garage
Scott’s the man and produces an awesome product.

Anyone in the LA area who wants to check them out, give me a holler. Hugh difference in brightness.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
7F36684A-E6C7-42BC-9D39-0CABB503B21A.jpg   F36C9DD4-F68C-4976-AF68-CA6DCC1A0E6C.jpg  
ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote