Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2024, 06:31 PM   #1

Hi from the Hi Desert!

Just bought an '03 e350 ambulance to play around with. So far I haven't gotten much further than maintenance, but I'm excited to make it a comfortable place for adventure. I was lurking on this forum before I bought it, and now I'm trying to put into practice some lessons I learned!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7985.jpg  

robopope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 08:39 PM   #2

Welcome! 7.3 Diesel I presume?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:27 PM   #3

Nice looking rig. Welcome to the group.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 09:42 PM   #4

Garage
Looks like a fun start. Your new relationship needs to be nurtured; dedication & appreciation, followed closely by compromise. If you keep her happy (while maintaining your own sanity & bank account) you benefit greatly from the experience's shared.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:54 AM   #5

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah, it's a 7.3, I think it has about 200,000 miles on it, but it seems like the county took good care of it. I hope, anyway!
Old 04-10-2024, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopope View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah, it's a 7.3, I think it has about 200,000 miles on it, but it seems like the county took good care of it. I hope, anyway!
It likely has very high idle hours. Does it have an hours meter somewhere? I would definitely not skimp on preventative maintenance on an ambo due to the idle hours.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
It likely has very high idle hours. Does it have an hours meter somewhere? I would definitely not skimp on preventative maintenance on an ambo due to the idle hours.

When I was shopping for my 7.3 'slope' rigs were very common (north slope oil fields of Alaska). Due to the cold weather they were often left idling for days at a time. One of the very low mileage trucks I looked at had a hobbs (hour) meter on it. Even though the odometer only had 30,000 miles on it I did the math and at 50 mph it worked out to over 500,000 miles.

I passed on that one, BUT I believe the 7.3 is one motor that isn't harmed by idling for extended periods. It's an industrial engine that was designed to last forever with proper care.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post

Yeah, it has an hour meter, right now its at 11000. I worked it out to being around a 20mph average speed.

So I've done the fuel filter, oil change, coolant flush, diff fluid, trans fluid and I just dropped the tank to change the screens. Am I missing anything important?
Old 04-11-2024, 09:17 PM   #9

Garage
I also like to start off 'fresh' with a new vehicle; You've got the fluids addressed so I'd move to a thorough FE inspection on the steering components + brakes & rotors + tires, then finish up with an alignment. After that, plant yourself in the drivers seat and turn the key... ...take a trip for a couple days to get to know your Van.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:34 PM   #10

If the tank is down consider doing something like the 'hutch' mod.
On pickups of the same era, the pickup foot has a tendency to deteriorate and fall apart causing fuel starvation below 1/4 tank.
kbeefy is offline   Reply With Quote