Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Garage
A/C increases Oil & Coolant temps 5 degrees???

running my A/C increases Oil & Coolant temps by 4 to 5 degrees - does this seem normal for a 2006 6.0???
Ford just says "its all within acceptable temp ranges"

Circumstances: With outside air temp around 88 degrees, van weights around 11,500lbs... so traveling 65mph (turning 2200rpm's) ECT normally = 210-212, EOT normally runs 218-220
As soon as I turn on my dash A/C, the ECT goes to 214-216, and EOT goes to 224-226

To me, this just seems excessive - looking for some feedback to verify if my concerns have any merit?

Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM   #2

Normal. The stock A/C move a lot of heat.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Normal. The stock A/C move a lot of heat.

...and A/C requires additional horsepower from the engine.....to spin the compressor.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

I agree with Carringb, My O7 RB SMB is just about the same van as yours, all your numbers look about the same as what my ScanGage is telling me. The AC condenser core is in front of the radiator so you are pulling air through the radiator that has been pre-heated by the condenser. I have been contemplating having the PCM re-flashed for a lower temp turn on point for the fan, and installing hood lovers like BadgerTreck and a few other members have done. This would be more for lowering Turbo EGT. but i am sure it would also help with the ECT under load.

This weekend I will be towing a Side by side from Reno, NV to the BlackRock Playa, Temps are said to be 85-90 so i will collect some data from the ScanGage and let you know what my temps are running with and with out AC load.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

Garage
I did take both these into consideration, and appreciate your responses.

My motivation is to find a solution to the high operating temps - some of the trip we are planning will expose us to higher area temps (Arizona, Texas, Colorado, Utah, etc). If i'm already hitting high teens in ECT and 126+ in EOT in 88 degree weather, then 100 degree weather will increase temps another 6-8 degrees (thats not even taking into consideration long uphill grades, or slow speeds associated with backroad travel and/or slower traffic (where little wind pushed through the font of the grill)
I do have the Aluminess front bumper with the winch, and really prefer not to lose them.
There's lots of Vans out there with similar appointments/accessories traveling in those areas and cant imagine they havent completed some sort of modification to pull the temps down, yet I'm coming up with nothing in any search (both on & off this forum) other than hood louvers. I Installed a new engine 3 years ago and did add the BPD Water pump & Aluminum radiator.
Cant find the Thread anymore, but a while ago I read where one member stated they installed an oil cooler by splicing into the oil lines leading from the Amsoil oil filter mounted under the body (Just reached out to Amsoil to see if they could provide me an idea of the volume of oil that flows through their system). Only suggestion Ford offers is to replace the fan clutch to a "snow plow" clutch - but no one can really give me an idea what results that will provide (both high speed and Low). I'm considering removing the Trans cooler and upgrading to the Tru-Cool, but mounting it under the body as some others have done, in hopes that the added air flow to the radiator will help.
I'm open to ANY suggestions/comments

HK33FAN - I would be interested to see your results. Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
running my A/C increases Oil & Coolant temps by 4 to 5 degrees - does this seem normal for a 2006 6.0???
Ford just says "its all within acceptable temp ranges"

Circumstances: With outside air temp around 88 degrees, van weights around 11,500lbs... so traveling 65mph (turning 2200rpm's) ECT normally = 210-212, EOT normally runs 218-220
As soon as I turn on my dash A/C, the ECT goes to 214-216, and EOT goes to 224-226

To me, this just seems excessive - looking for some feedback to verify if my concerns have any merit?
To me those seem excessive for EOT even without AC. I'm in AZ, and my average EOT's at 65mph is 212F with AC. Did get to 220 very briefly while going up a steep grade in 5th gear.
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #7

From what you describe in your post I'm leaning toward your within normal limits and things are fine. Probably not what you wanted to hear. But here are some additional thoughts on the subject of operating temps.

If you still are using the OEM electric/hydraulic fan clutch, and it's working, turning on the A/C can actually lower your temps. The computer will engage the fan a set percent, and will even increase the fan speed based on Freon pressures, AKA A/C thermal demand. Yes the AC is increasing the load on the engine and placing some heat in front of the radiator but the air flow of the engaged fan can negate these effects. I know it's counter to what we did in the old cars but tuning on the AC can lower temps in some driving conditions.

You mentioned you have a newer aluminum radiator, BPD coolant pump, new motor, and haven't experienced thermal run away so, again, I think your fine. Just not used to seeing the temps your seeing as you are operating in the upper end of normal. Hood louvers made a big difference on my van, others claim it didn't help much. For me, the louvers didn't necessarily lower my temps in all conditions, what they did was reduce the fan running at full speed so much. What could be called, reduced the duty cycle of the fan. And when I am hot the temps fall to lower normal way, way faster. Lot's of variables in driving conditions effects this but overall much better for me with louvers.

I installed the manual fan modification before the louvers. Since louvers, I only pull the manual switch to check if it still works. It's nice to have if I every saw some crazy high temp as a temporary fix to get to a safe spot to stop.

Here are some posts from another thread on this subject that may be helpful.
- Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttlePilot View Post
Assuming a stock tune and and coolant thermostat.

Engine Coolant Temp (EOT)
under 180* Engine Map is in various warm up or EGR regimes. Explains why you feel more power and trans shifts at lower RPMs above 180*
Around 212* thermostat thinks about opening.
218* thermostat opens fully.
Fan will cycle noticeably above 216* ish BUT depends of other temps, measured load, and A/C pressures.
Fan will fully engage and not cycle above 226*
These temps seem to vary a little depending on van.

On my van I don't become mindful of hot coolant until I'm seeing sustained ECT above 228*. One thing to be aware of when running hard is that it cools down quickly once over the pass, etc. Hottest I've seen 230* for a few minutes.

Engine Oil Temp (EOT)
should be below or 6-10* above ECT
12*or more above ECT I would start to consider a restricted oil cooler.
Rumor has it that a EOT above 236* will shut the motor down.

Trans Temps
If your trans has a thermostat it will open at 160*. Some 5r110's don't have them. You will get a wide array of what is ideal trans temps and where to measure the temps from. My opinion is sustained I'm comfortable with under 200*. My trans (John Wood) with larger cooler and fan lives most of it's life between 164* and 180*. Highest I've seen with this setup is 192*.

Hope this helps
-Eric
Quote:
JoeH I like your temp of EOT 242* before motor shut down better. I hope to never test that out.

One more thing about 6.0s and coolant temps that I try to pass along. Be sure to have a properly working coolant cap. The only way these high "normal" temps don't boil the coolant out is that it's under 16 PSI of pressure. Even worse here in Colorado Springs it's 6000' elev. which means water boils at 200* and when you go through the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,000' water boils at 191* at atmospheric pressure. I have a coolant pressure sensor on my SCT which saved me once with a new Stant cap that would only develop to 4 PSI. I have since used a genuine Motocraft cap with success. There is water less coolants that don't need to be pressurized but that's a different subject. Sorry for the Public Service Announcement, just trying to help fellow 6.0 drivers.

-Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Garage
Assuming a stock tune and and coolant thermostat.

Engine Coolant Temp (EOT)
under 180* Engine Map is in various warm up or EGR regimes. Explains why you feel more power and trans shifts at lower RPMs above 180*
Around 212* thermostat thinks about opening.
218* thermostat opens fully.
Fan will cycle noticeably above 216* ish BUT depends of other temps, measured load, and A/C pressures.
Fan will fully engage and not cycle above 226*
These temps seem to vary a little depending on van.

ShuttlePilot: In part of your response you included relevant info from another thread that brings up a question - is it possible to lower the thermostat set points? In other words, if the thermostat doesnt fully open until it reaches 216, rationale would suggest the cooling system temps could be maintained lower if it fully opened at say 206,

Oil temps are a direct result of coolant temps since the oil cooler in these 6.0's is serviced by coolant, So unless I find a way to address oil temps directly (like splicing a oil cooler between the lines leading to the Amsoil oil filter system) my only recourse is to attack the cooling temps.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

That is a good point in the EOT delta. The ECT is definitely within normal, and probably won't rise much beyond what you're seeing now even in much hotter weather. You'll just hear the fan more.

But a 10F delta is getting up there, considering the mild conditions. 15F is the max spec, but it seems like a healthy oil cooler usually hovers around a 5F delta under mild conditions, and would only spike higher pulling a steep grade.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #10

Garage
Has anyone performed the BPD 7.3 fan clutch adapter swap for the 6.0 engine? If so, Did/does it make a significant difference?