Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 AM   #41
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire View Post
I just discovered another reason why my usage on this forum is down. I just read through two pages of replies to this post that I never received a notification about in my email inbox. On the old site I was always notified when someone made a comment to any of my posts or any posts that I commented on. Now, apparently, I am not getting notified of anything. These email notifications used to drive me to the forum almost every day. Now I'm pissed (my worst swear word) that people have been responding to this post and I've known nothing about it. I'm getting closer and closer to ending my involvement with the Sportsmobile Forum, which is sad since I have met so many fine people on here. Sadly, this Forum doesn't feel like a meeting place of friends anymore. Sorry to sound negative. It's just that I feel like a good friend has died.
MAC!!!! Wish I were near to buy you a beer, or smoke!!! LOVE your posts, comments, advice, etc...would be a real bummer-drag to lose a member like you!!

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #42

Agreed. We're all in this together.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #43
Site Team

Just found out why I haven't been getting notified of comments on my posts. Here is the statement at the end of the email when I do get notified:

"There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Sportsmobile Forum"

Not sure why I have to visit the Forum "again" before I can be notified of posts. It didn't use to be that way. Perhaps this is a policy ploy to drive traffic to the Forum. The more clicks, the more $$$.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #44

I would expect it is a ploy not to fill your inbox with messages that tell that someone has replied to your post. I understand it is different and that the new owners are in business to make money, but I guess don't understand all the complaints.

It is the content and people that make the forum, not the software used to get there, sure there will be things we don't like or wish we had back. But if everybody just turns away because they don't like the software, we do really loose the forum, and what made the old forum really great.

Our time may be best spent identifying things that really need to be fixed, what are the deal breakers for everyone. I would think posting photos is the biggest issue, as we have seen the volume of trip reports drop, especially ones with high quality photos.

And Mac, thank you for posting the topic to begin with.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #45

^^^ what he said... I'm gonna quit whining and start learning to use this a bit better!

*preachitgregpreachit*

*wheresthedangemoticons?*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #46

My usage has gone down. I don't like on the mobile hkw you can jump to specific pages, only first, next ,last. Very annoying.
DerPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 PM   #47
Site Team

Garage
Come on Mac, you got to head up V of F-II meet! What if I break down again?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 PM   #48

Yes, no ads with Ad Blocker for now, but the print is much smaller on my tablet due to the white space in the right hand margin.

We're not getting any younger here and if most of you are boomers you're not liking change period, your eyesight is interfering with the already small font, and you aren't keeping up with all the great technology improvements (except maybe for the SMB itself).

As for my drop in use I can't say it has much more to do with anything other than not being so new to my SMB.

My biggest peeve with the site is security - Jag must have gotten tired out trying to keep up with it, but the software changes are useless without protection of our privacy and online safety. We need an https site in our future!
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #49

I'm not a huge fan of the new site, and especially the ads**, but I don't think it's THAT bad, at least not bad enough to quit using it. I care more about the content and community than the design and some user experience issues. I'd say I use Tapatalk about 80% of the time, and the website the other 20%. Neither is perfect, but they are good enough.

I've yet to see ANY forum (this or any of the others that I frequent) that are what I would call well designed or user friendly. Seems like they all have a fairly bare-bones approach.

**Regarding ads, despite previously being a site supporter I seem to be unable to turn off the ads (I selected the option, but it doesn't do anything). I also can't use Adblocker because I maintain a corporate website and Adblocker and similar extensions slow down my content management system a lot.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #50

sick

My usage has went from multiple times a day to 2-3 times since the change. The ads are distracting and the new lay out is confusing.
There is a hole in my heart where the old forum use to live.
You can't teach an ol dog new tricks
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote