Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #141

Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Progressive actually had my vehicle towed from the site of the accident to Bakersfield so it could be closer to one of their headquarters so they could personally keep an eye on the work since it would be a big job. They know first hand there is no black water system and no one has ever mentioned it.

Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #142

OK kids, here's the latest on my insurance scramble since I'm not being renewed. To bring you up to speed, I've been insured with National Interstate since new. About seven years. This year they've changed their requirements and will no longer insure a 4x4 RV. In my quest for new coverage I've come up with the following:

Progressive - Will not insure unless you have kitchen and bathroom. This means a plumbed in toilet and permanent stove or microwave. Not just a CA requirement, nationwide so they say if you dig deep. I checked this with seven agents and when I really quizzed them, that's what I was told.

ANPAC - want to do as an add on to your auto policy. Was told that they might be able to do it, but what I was quoted was expensive.

State Farm - They never called me back on RV requirements, so I don't know.

GEICO - Require kitchen and bath.

RVAmerica/Blue Sky - $650

SAFECO - $700

Good Sam - best I could find. Went with them for $438

GMAC - same as Good Sam but a bit more expensive.

All of the above is based on $80k rig, but will be actual cash value in case of a total loss.
Bod Inj - $250 each person, $500 each accident
Prop Dam - $100,000
Uninsured/Underinsured - $250 each person, $500 each accident
$1,000 deductible
$2,000 personal effects.
The above are to meet the requirements of my umbrella policy which will kick in if something really bad happens.

So ends my insurance research. I'm sure many of you have found better deals and what works for you works. Thanks for all the info and advice, and if anyone comes up with something better in the next couple of weeks, let me know.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #143
Site Team

Garage

I'm a good sam GMAC now national general I believe. They just told me it changed. Hope the policy didn't change.

Like I said, unless there is some reason these companies want to go after you (like you changed the springs on your ride, over weight ...etc) for a fatality or really bad wreck, I doubt they will investigate it much and honor your claim. Still???

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #144

A little update. About a year ago I switched all my Auto policies to Farmers and saved a bunch of money over Progressive- apart from the SMB only because I had just paid the premium to Progressive and I didn't want to lose money on a refund. Among other things, Farmers had a better policy on the Jeep in that they would cover upgrades without a stated value policy and my homeowners' is through Farmers.

So a little over a week ago I started trying to switch the SMB to Farmers. In the end, today, after a lot of confusion I was basically told they will not do a stated value policy, only a cash value, which means even if it's insured for $80,000 if the adjuster says it's an E350 they'll try to cut me a check for $8,000 and I'll have a fight. With NADA being so screwed up and having been totally jacked by insurance companies in the past I decided to stick with Progressive. Bumping my stated value policy down from $90K to $80K made it $920 paid in full, which is actually cheaper than Farmers cash value policy.

I don't really want to be with Progressive any more, but they do cover the van the way I want them to and unlike the Auto policies they are less expensive to boot.

So the strange thing in all this was Farmers insisted I call Sportsmobile myself and ask them what my van was worth, and then report back to Farmers what Sportsmobile said. I did all that, SMB has always been proactive in defending the value so it was no problem, but it seems really weird- I mean you don't call up BMW and ask how much some i3 in the classifieds is worth, do you?

Regardless it didn't matter since Farmers never intended to offer anything but cash value. No doubt $80,000 is actually low, especially considering what used diesels are selling for on SMBs PO site, but I really don't want to fight my insurance company over claims any more than I have to. I half feel like the adjuster was actually expecting SMB to say "80K, for a van? Are you nuts?" and the intent just got garbled through my agent. Of course we're all nuts, but unless you're out there with the barn doors open you really don't get why we're this nuts.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #145
Site Team

If they wanted SMB's input, why would thay have you call instead of doing it themselves? I'm sure you asked yourself that question. Get you as a middleman, with vested intertest in the situation, to provide the information that Farmer's was looking for?

Herb
Old 12-18-2013, 10:38 PM   #146
Site Team

Garage

Hum, an RV policy that doesn't cover the RV conversion? It's not like you built it. So it take it if somebody sticks a camper on the back of their truck, they'd cover the truck but not the camper?

Old 12-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #147
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
If they wanted SMB's input, why would thay have you call instead of doing it themselves? I'm sure you asked yourself that question. Get you as a middleman, with vested intertest in the situation, to provide the information that Farmer's was looking for?

Herb
I was told (by good sam/GMAC) if the manufacture offers that item during the construction my insurance would cover it if the van qualifies as an RV. Because each RV could be ordered with different items, it's up to me to provide proof it was installed on the vehicle. Pictures and my SMB work order is supposed to be enough. But the only items covered are those built into the conversion so the microwave for instance might be questionable unless it's bolted in which it kind of is. The little portable butane stove wouldn't be, even though it's on the WO. I asked about other items added at a later date and was told as long as there is proof it was/is on the van and provided I have receipts I should be OK. I'm a bit skeptical and figure it might be a fight. I doubt it would be a good idea to mention mods done on the drivetrain unless SMB did it.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #148

Just got my new to me EB50 insured by State Farm in CA for $500 a year. RV policy.

My agent had to spend a day or two digging in the bowels of State Farm, but found that they actually have a "book" on all SMBs including layout designations etc.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Just got my new to me EB50 insured by State Farm in CA for $500 a year. RV policy.

My agent had to spend a day or two digging in the bowels of State Farm, but found that they actually have a "book" on all SMBs including layout designations etc.
I lied, the agent forgot to include the safe driver discount.. Premium is now less than $450. Which is a little more than half what I'm paying for my non-SMB van. Sweet.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #150

Quote:
Quote:

I lied, the agent forgot to include the safe driver discount.. Premium is now less than $450. Which is a little more than half what I'm paying for my non-SMB van. Sweet.
I have SF and just got my statement today. I have a Quigley with a custom interior from Van Specialties. No plumbing, only electricity and insulation. I do have some cabinetry, couch/rollover, solar and a microwave. I'm a safe driver and have all my other insurances thru them. They were supposed to put me on an RV policy but don't see any reference to that. $941/6 mos.

I think that's a tad bit high.

What might be going on here? I've been with them for many years.
Tupelo is offline   Reply With Quote