Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #41
Site Team

Garage
Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB

Yes but you forgot Pray

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #42

Dave
Call Poliseek thats who I use and as I said before they set me up with National Interstate I am going on my sixth year of full replacement value. Yes the value is written on my policy. The policy has all the bells and whistles Mexico coverage, towing. The numbers is on there web site. I pay under 1,000.00 a year.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #43

Very informative thread. Thanks!
We're looking at using the van as the sole insured vehicle (daily driver and residence), ala Badgertrek.
I know that many insurance policies exclude these situations.
Has anyone gotten SMB insurance for a full-timing van?
Advanturetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #44
Site Team

Garage

I just read that Poliseek has full time coverage. I'll check National out Craig.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #45

This has been an interesting thread. I am in the market for an SMB. I live half the year in MD and half in CA. Looks like I should license it in MD to avoid the CA headaches (not to mention the extra 3% sales tax). I plan to have a porta potty, but no black water tank. I wonder how insurance companies handle Eurovan campers.
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #46

Daveb,
It's difficult to weigh in on this subject because there are so many variables. I've been an agent for 35 years and I still don't know everything!!! The best I can do is make some observations, offer some suggestions and express my opinion.
Opinions/suggestions.
1. Work with an agent you can talk to face to face. Insist on talking to the agent not the office assistant when you have a coverage question. If the agent is unresponsive, calls back in in more than 24 hrs., seems not to know how to solve the problem...move on.
2. Avoid Internet based brokerages and companies.
3. Find a company that will cover all of your insurance needs and deal with that company and it's agent. Try not to have multiple companies for home,auto,boat,rv, umbrella,rental properties, summer cabin etc. You will then be a client rather than a #. You will save $$$ in the long run and you will be delt with differently than someone who just has one policy.
4. Ask if the company uses independent adjusters or in house adjusters. Independent adjusters are more difficult to deal with. They work on contract and the more $$$ they save the company the more they get paid. Not good for the customer.
5. Read your policy. Not fun but necessary. Highlite what you don't understand and call your agent. You will learn a great deal about your agent in this exchange. If the agent seems to be in hurry or says things like "I'm pretty sure that's covered", or passes you off to a subordinate, beware. Document your conversation and email it to your agent.
6. Do not deal with a company or agent that wants you to call a customer service number for policy assistance. This is becoming very common in the industry and it often results in bad advice. Customer service reps have no vested interest in your business. Agents like them because it keeps them off the phone and on the golf course.

If you own a an SMB you should be willing to spend a little more time understanding your insurance policy. You also have other assets that need adequate protection. Don't cut corners on liability coverage.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #47

thanks DaveB & Chris and others that have shared info on this topic.
very informative. learning more about your insurance coverage sounds like sage advice.
keeping up with any changes to your policy as well.
I have a tendency to keep writing the checks and filing away any policy info without studying.
lining up insurance coverage prior to finalizing your SMB build another good idea. Thanks!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #48
Site Team

Thanks for the helpful advice, Chris. So, do you handle this kind of insurance for vehicles, home, etc? I pretty much violate all of the practices you suggested and could use a good insurance agent. It doesn't matter that you are in California and I'm in Nevada. I'm sure I could arrange to meet up with you once a year with our Sportsmobile as I check in with my insurance agent.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #49

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire
Thanks for the helpful advice, Chris. So, do you handle this kind of insurance for vehicles, home, etc? I pretty much violate all of the practices you suggested and could use a good insurance agent. It doesn't matter that you are in California and I'm in Nevada. I'm sure I could arrange to meet up with you once a year with our Sportsmobile as I check in with my insurance agent.
How about a group buy for SMB insurance?!
Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #50
Site Team

Garage

Thanks Chris. I talked with my agent who I have all my insurance through (for over 35 years) and they said it was not possible for State farm to insure for the purchase price... Your post was great…I wish I had all this info when I went through my insurance dilemma while picking up my brand new van.
You’ve supplied some great info so far Chris. I think with Jages link, this is the best post on insurance so far and deserves to be made a FAQ sticky.

Well right or wrong I stayed with Good Sam/GMAC. I will say that the times I've had to use them they were pleasant to deal with and didn't jack me around as much as State farm has in the past. I'm supposed to be covered for the price of the vehicle which is on the original policy I got through them in 2005. Will that happen in a total? I really don't know, and I hope I don't ever have to test it. I did call Poliseek and for a new vehicle it looks better than most of these generic companies but like the others I looked at, to get agreed value, the vehicle must be new from the factory. Yet Poliseek had no issues with the class B California rating vs. the plumed in head/black water tank thing like progressive did.
Good Sam did give me a good cut for putting my old 93 pickup on the policy. Mind you that my driving record is not squeeeeeky clean thanks to the CHP not accepting my pleads for mercy. Just couldn't convince him 72 in a 55 wasn't bad and my SMB trailer was really really little. Anyway, I got in at about 1300.00 a year for the van and pickup. way less than the 2008.00 per year I was paying for the van only so I'm somewhat happy
Dave