Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2021, 02:05 PM   #21

Sounds like something is loose, worn, or out of alignment. I know you're in Edwards so the front range van shops are a haul, but any shop that's good with lifted full size ford or dodge trucks should be able to help. The CCV/Timberline design is a 4 link similar to what some of those use if they ditch the factory radius arms. There's enough diesel bros rolling around that area that surely there's a competent shop not too far away. Otherwise there's been a handful of suggestion so far if you want to DIY.

Edit: while it's been awhile since I've driven in the northeast, the stretch of I-70 through the CO mountains is usually the worst stretch of road during any road trip we take. As I'm sure you're well aware, it's always a mess.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Sounds like something is loose, worn, or out of alignment. I know you're in Edwards so the front range van shops are a haul, but any shop that's good with lifted full size ford or dodge trucks should be able to help. The CCV/Timberline design is a 4 link similar to what some of those use if they ditch the factory radius arms. There's enough diesel bros rolling around that area that surely there's a competent shop not too far away. Otherwise there's been a handful of suggestion so far if you want to DIY.

Edit: while it's been awhile since I've driven in the northeast, the stretch of I-70 through the CO mountains is usually the worst stretch of road during any road trip we take. As I'm sure you're well aware, it's always a mess.
You are right. I'd say the stretch of I-70 from Denver to Grand Junction is just atrocious, especially Vail Pass, to and from Eisenhower Tunnel and Glenwood Canyon.
Angler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #23

Garage
Your description sounds like my van. I call it swimming down the highway. By the time the van reacts to your steering input, your already compensating the next input.

The agile shocks helped a ton, but they’ve raised their prices significantly on those shocks since I got mine. I couldn’t afford them these days. Not sure of a better alternative though. Lots of different owners here have good luck with regular fox shocks and bilsteins, but I can’t say which versions.

From what I’ve gathered from the folks here I’m thinking I’m in need of new rear leaf springs and a track or panhard bar for the rear axle. I’ve done most the other suggestions and while they all helped make our van much more roadworthy at 80mph with one hand, the van still gets unsettled passing a semi or evasive lane changes, especially when wind is a factor.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #24

I'm starting to think it's steering geometry. The reason being is when I hit the bump, pothole or whatever is uneven in the road, the tires will go a different direction than the steering wheel is pointed (At least this is my theory, but I suppose I don't look down at the steering wheel as I'm about to side swipe another car and turn the wheel to the other direction)

I have a local diesel/4x4 shop checking everything out for me in a week or so. I'll report back on what he finds if anyone is interested.
Angler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler99 View Post
I have a local diesel/4x4 shop checking everything out for me in a week or so. I'll report back on what he finds if anyone is interested.
We always appreciate closure - Helps educate many of us! Hope it turns out to be a relatively simple fix.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #26

Have you ever adjusted your steering box?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler99 View Post
Is that a rub mark on your front diff cover from where it hits the track bar when the suspension is compressed?
Also that track as to frame mount doesn’t look very substantial compared with other manufacturers, I’d check that considering that has been a point of failure for some.

But ultimately I think you do have a geometry problem. A better steering damper may help, but that won’t fix the root problem, only mask it.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:49 PM   #28

agreed ^^^^ Looks like a rub on the diff cover to me too.

OP, keep in mind that you aren't going to run any tire pressure both on and off road for maximum comfort. Offroad you want a lot lower than 45-50 and on road a little higher.

I have always found 55 front/60 rear to be the best combo for my big vans but that can change with load and other things, in other words it's not the answer you'll get from everyone.

Off-road you'll be really happy at 20-25.

This is not going to solve your suspension problems, just something I noticed you said.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:59 PM   #29
Orv

Garage
One thing I learned from this forum is there are tire air pressure tables out there that will tell you the recommended tire pressure for a given load on a given tire size. If you know the axle weights of your van that may give you a good starting point for on-road tire pressure.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Have you ever adjusted your steering box?
Caution on this please. There is not much in the way of adjustment that will not cause accelerated wear on a box that is already showing slop.

Wiggle wheel test and look at every aspect of steering connections for looseness.

There is also a slip joint in the steering shaft in the area below the master cylinder. The clamp fitting there, if loose, will allow the two pieces of the shaft to have play.

45 PSI for the front tires is likely a bit low for a diesel.

Lastly, and maybe the most important, your wheels look like they have a huge outside offset to them, huge, at least in the picture. That will play havoc w steering on our rigs.

See if you can mount a set of zero or close to zero offset wheels and see what difference if makes.