Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Spr

If the axel is spinning but there is no 4 wheel. There is either a snap ring in your hub or more likely the spiral retaining ring that is disengaged. The weight of these rigs will cause it to slip sometimes. Going off memory here so dont quote me on this but undo the alan bolts on the Warn hub in a star pattern, pull the cover off, pull a couple rings and or springs and one of the last rings is a spiral retaining ring. Its a little tricky to get in but put one end in the track and work your finger around the circle. Once in place put it back together. If your luck is like mine the first hub will be fine and you will find it off in the second
no need to jack up the van or take the wheel off. Just work from the ground. Let us know if this worked. It takes 10-15 min per wheel. You will need to take off a snap ring to get to it Here is what it looks like https://torqueking.com/product/56017...yABEgKvA_D_BwE

Old 06-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #12

What SPR said. Happens to my hubs somewhat frequently. have tried replacing snap rings, and whole hubs and it still happens. I have gotten really good at taking them apart and putting them back together though.
gofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
Spr

And if nothing else it’s a good opportunity to clean and Re grease.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #14

Frustrating! I could say a lot but I will bite my tongue! Check if you have 2wd hi and low. If so graduate to 4wd next! If you want to check if you are going into 4w front unlock your hubs and put it in 4wd front only if the shaft spins you have 4 wheel drive front. Check both Hi and Low. If you want all wheel (4) drive do the same with the hubs locked. As far as the hub being on backwards. Make sure you have floorboard clearance on the shifter. Sometimes on conversions the shifter will hit the floor pan and keep you from engaging.I have never heard of that! Habs can only go on one way. It is utterly impossible to put in a hub backwards??? If they are talking about the order of snap rings and innternals I still cannot see a hub going on backwards???
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:55 PM   #15
Spr

Here is a video showing the spiral retaining ring starting at 2:15

Its been forever since I had to do mine but I do remember pulling the set screw and removing the inner gears as well but that might have been to make sure all the snap rings were seated properly and to clean and re grease while in the hub.

You will see pretty quickly if the spiral ring is not seated properly. Its a simple fix and I'm willing to bet this is your issue.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #16

Don't settle for the regular hubs. If the premium hubs are available the are life time warranty and no you can't put them on backwards. I still do not see how your factory hubs may have been put on backwards though. If the front is not turning and you know you are in 4x4 then you may have a broken axle. Put it in 4wd. With your front hubs UNLOCKED get out and turn the front drive shaft by hand if it turns your not in 4wd. If you start it and move it and the front saht turns with the rear you have 4x4 or at least front wheel drive.
To check hubs, take it out of 4wd: lock your hubs Spin the front drive shaft again, if the shaft turns your hubs are not engaging.You can check your locker the same way only unlock one hub at a time.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #17

Garage
@rroberts76, Been wondering if you managed to resolve the issue of front hubs not engaging ??? Peeked my interest when you initially posted, and have been curious about the actual cause.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #18

SMB Hub Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
@rroberts76, Been wondering if you managed to resolve the issue of front hubs not engaging ??? Peeked my interest when you initially posted, and have been curious about the actual cause.

Where did I leave off? Took it to the shop, got new Warn Premium Hubs, they put them on. Before I left their driveway, I got out, locked the hubs, put it in 4WD, and slowly rolled forward, after about 5 ft I heard a CLUNK: no more 4WD. The Warn housing failed at the snap ring groove. The older Warn hubs looked like they had more material. Shop bought a new pair but was worried they would also break. So I drove the van home.

After some internet sleuthing and hub edumacation, I bought a pair of Dynatrac Dynaloc hubs and decided to install them myself. Pretty damn sure I removed all of the Warn Hubs, but when I assembled the DynaLocs the first part is a spacer ring, then a plate that the Outer Lock rides on. Either the spacer is too long (~.008" compared to their specs), or the axle (Dynatrac Pro Rock 60) is too short, with the result that the small snap ring groove on the axle is not exposed and I couldn't install the axle snap ring. Talked to folks at Dynatrac, they said its very possible that the axle is too short and that the snapring isn't critical and recommended installing without it.

So I did. Got them both in (same on both sides), tested them out, and they seem to work. I haven't taken them off road, so don't know how they will handle the abuse (maybe try Assateague this weekend). The spacer ring protrudes into the spline area of the hub and I'm a little worried about wear there. I asked Dynatrac if I should get the spacer rings milled down (~0.050") but haven't heard back yet.

So, like boats, there's two material conditions: broke, or in the interval between breaking. I'm in the interval now, hope it's a long one.

Interested to hear any other similar problems/solutions.

RR
rroberts76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #19

Garage
Very interesting, but certainly would make me feel a little uneasy - admittedly don't know much about Hubs, but omitting parts would concern me.
A word of caution with respect to Assateague - Its the only beach I've encountered so far which I'm not able to drive...sank to my axles within the first 50 yds because the sand is so soft. They also have an air-up station for when you return, BUT DO NOT USE THESE PUMPS - You'll end out blowing water in your tires with the air.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #20

Ive been through there in a Jeep and that first part is sugar sand. What psi were you running?
rroberts76 is offline   Reply With Quote