Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 05:03 PM   #21

Garage
what about trying a front sway bar w/ quick disconnects before buying new springs?
is there a sway bar on the rear axle as well?
these two things can really help with swaying.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:43 AM   #22

Thanks Loper -
Oldjoe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:01 PM   #23

Any updates on the AJ 4x4 build? I saw that Jason (primal outdoor) has his van taken there. Jason’s GF took their vans to that shop after a terrible accident. Says volumes on how much trust they have on this shop. Would like to get more reviews on them.
Greywolf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:49 AM   #24

Nice to see an honest review and that it is working out well.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:45 AM   #25

A little update:

With continued building, I've managed to let the weight of the van get out of hand. I scaled it on my way to Hillsboro and it was 9150#, all in.

I was on my way to A.J.'s for some upgrades when I weighed it. A.J.'s replaced the springs (heavier), added air bags, and replaced the radius arm mounts and track bar set-up with their new design. Art knew we were in the middle of a trip, so the crew worked through lunch and got us in and out in 5 hours.

The radius arm mounts drop the pivot point 2" for better caster adjustment. The track bar is the new F350 style, which raises the roll center and reduces bump steer.

The difference is amazing. Raised the front ride height, don't need the sway bar now, corners and tracks great. Ran through some fairly rough roads and water bars and the off-road ride and flex are greatly improved.

So, was this a repair of a bad build? Not really. I increased the weight by more than 1500# since the original build. The springs were already pretty light, and I overloaded them a bunch. The redesign on the radius arm mounts and track bar geometry came from customer feedback (I'm one of the folks that provided feedback on this).

How about business practices? Well let's start with it's been over a year since the original build. As I said, the crew worked through lunch to get us turned as quick as possible. I paid for the airbags, which were an addition, and labor for all the other part swapping. That labor charge was very reasonable.

Again, I have no sponsorship or affiliation other than as a customer. With that being said, I am content doing business with A.J.'s.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 03:45 PM   #26

Quick question -- what year is the van and is it V-10 -- E350 ?? My van is 2002 - E350 - V-10 -- and loaded for bear runs about 10,500 ! 12th winch front bumper - Honda 3,000 generator on passenger rear - spare tire left side swing -- and Road Armor bumpers front and rear - 3/8 steel ! Propane tank - hot water heater (6 gal) - rear toilet, gray water driver rear - newer Quigley torque arms - SSBC brake upgrade -- Thanks --
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 06:20 PM   #27

"02, V10, E350, short van, W/20" Fiberine aero top.
2005 F350 axles and transfer case.
4'x2' sink/stove cabinet down one side W/10 gallons of water.
Bed across the back W/60L Iceco fridge on a slider underneath.
Top rack, ladder. side bars, 35" spare.
Wood interior W/quite a bit of insulation.
All the propane, camp stove, etc. is loaded under the bed.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote