Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Any shops in Carson City that can work on a Dynatrac?

I have to replace the ball joints (not tie rod ends) on the Dynatrac front end. Can anyone recommend a shop in Carson City/Gardnerville area that works on 4X4s?

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Any shops in Carson City that can work on a Dynatrac?

Well, Dynatrac is located in Huntington Beach. Not sure if they service their equipment, but they should have some good recommendations if nothing else.

http://www.dynatrac.com/contact.html

Herb
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #3

Talk to Marcus @ Capitol Automotive, Carson City. Good guy, and a 4x4 van owner!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

Hi UJOINT - Thanks for the recommendation. Talked to Marcus. Looks like I will be using the new Dynatrac ball joints and having him install them. His shop time is about $15 an hour higher than the other mechanics in the area but he is one of the few who is familiar with Dynatrac ProRock 60. Apparently the Dynatrac ball joints are supposed to last twice as long as the Spicers and they are rebuildable. I will post any findings down the road.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #5

Trent Fabrication in Reno did the ball joint replacement for $458 on the labor and billed me for the retail cost for the parts. Sears in Reno followed the SMB specs for the alignment and offered a good price for tires.

Dynatrac did not have a set of their new wonder ball joints in stock so I had to go with the Spicers. I had Trent Fabricators change the ball joints. They race with Dana 60 front ends. Good place to get work done on our vans & prices are much more reasonable than any of the garages in the region.

Had the front end aligned by Actiom Frame shop in Carson City. NOTE: Each of our vans has its own unique caster and camber settings. Action did not have the correct specs for the caster or camber so the van pulled to the right. Heber fax'd the front end alignment specs for my van. Took it to Reno Sears. They did the alignment corectly. Bought 4 BFG 285/75/16 LRE from Sears at $1100.