Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2021, 11:38 PM   #1

Changing Shocks: What if the bolt will not slide out?

This should not be a problem but.... Bilsteins are 6 years old and van is rolling side to side. Bought 4 Fox shocks from the (used to be Sportsmobile) shop in Reno. Since I did not have much to do, I decided to change the shocks myself.

Front drivers side shock came off easily. Fortunately I was able to use a slightly modified ratchet strap to compress the shock. Bolted in with no problems. One down. Three to go.

Passenger side front shock: Upper bolt slipped out easily Nut on the lower end of the shock also came off easily but when I attempted to slide the bolt out it was not going anywhere. Soaked in silocone and let stand for several hours. Put the nut back on to protect the threads and hammered the nut with a 3# hammer. The bolt would turn but it would not slide out.

Next day: More silocone. No movement. Pried wherever I could get a screwdrive into a space but the bolt was not going to slide out. Got a butane torch out and heated the bolt head and threaded end until the bushing began to melt.

It looks like the bolt has anealed itself to the tube/spacer. I would like to find a solution before I have to go at it with a grinder. Any suggestions welcome.

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
What vehicle are you working on?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
This should not be a problem but.... Bilsteins are 6 years old and van is rolling side to side. Bought 4 Fox shocks from the (used to be Sportsmobile) shop in Reno. Since I did not have much to do, I decided to change the shocks myself.

Front drivers side shock came off easily. Fortunately I was able to use a slightly modified ratchet strap to compress the shock. Bolted in with no problems. One down. Three to go.

Passenger side front shock: Upper bolt slipped out easily Nut on the lower end of the shock also came off easily but when I attempted to slide the bolt out it was not going anywhere. Soaked in silocone and let stand for several hours. Put the nut back on to protect the threads and hammered the nut with a 3# hammer. The bolt would turn but it would not slide out.

Next day: More silocone. No movement. Pried wherever I could get a screwdrive into a space but the bolt was not going to slide out. Got a butane torch out and heated the bolt head and threaded end until the bushing began to melt.

It looks like the bolt has anealed itself to the tube/spacer. I would like to find a solution before I have to go at it with a grinder. Any suggestions welcome.

I have had great luck using PB Blaster penetrating oil. Use this on all my tractors before we do any wrenching on bolts that look rusted or with corrosion.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHawk View Post
I would like to find a solution before I have to go at it with a grinder. Any suggestions welcome.
The solution is quick and simple and it indeed involves a grinder.....or sawzall. You will lose nothing but time trying to get old shocks off an E series the same way they went on.

Good luck!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
What vehicle are you working on?
JWA. I am working on a 2004 Ford E 350 Sportsmobilt 4X4.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #6

Sawzall or other wise cut both ends of the bolt off flush with the mount. Pry the mount open enough to get the front edge of the cut bolt started out of the mount on both sides, then pry from the back side and then drop kick that pos shock in the trash and bend the mount back into position and install your new shock and new bolt... with a touch of anti-seize on it.
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:20 PM   #7

SierraHawk i just did the very same thing, and ended up having the very same issue but it was on the rear shock lower bolts.
Spend to much time trying to figure out how and why, but in the end I just used a cutoff wheel as the bolt had rusted to the inner sleeve and it would never had come out no matter what i had done as the outer mount hole was smaller in diameter.
Blowby is offline   Reply With Quote