Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2023, 04:47 PM   #1

Extended range gas tank options

I got a reply from Quadvan that they aren't doing the 40 gallon tanks anymore, and Aero Tanks lists theirs only for the diesels. MG is no longer doing the rear 55 gallon tank conversions. I don't see anything on the Agile or UJoint websites. Not seeing anything direct from SMB or Timberline either. Titan tank has a 40 gallon after axle tank, again diesel only, and nothing from Transfer Flow.

Are there any options besides just the ~31 gallon factory tank shortened down to size? Any reason we couldn't run the Aero Tank on a gas van? Not real keen on aux tanks for a handful of reasons.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:12 PM   #2

Garage
I'd suggest reaching out to SMB or Field Van. Over the span of several years I was able to purchase items from SMW which they normally don't advertise to the general public (before the change-over). The staff is the same group, so I'd recommend making contact to see if they'd be willing to accommodate you.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:25 PM   #3

Ahh, got it. Will do, thanks.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #4

What about a chassis cub rear factory tank?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:38 PM   #5

I spoke to Aero and they won't do one for a Quigly regardless of fuel type.
The_Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. rock View Post
Any reason we couldn't run the Aero Tank on a gas van? Not real keen on aux tanks for a handful of reasons.
Jake at Aerotanks, if he's still there, sold me a diesel tank for my gas SMB years ago, probably around 2015? The deal then was that he couldn't sell one to a CA resident, which I was not. It was a great tank. I wish I had it on my current rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vermonster View Post
I spoke to Aero and they won't do one for a Quigly regardless of fuel type.
.....but maybe they've changed.

So, if you get on their website and order one how would they know what you're putting it on?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #7

Well, I do still have a diesel van in the garage. I'm just looking at options for a potential V10 stablemate.

Transfer Flow said they might be able to revive their pattern/design, but estimated cost at $4500-5200/tank. I'm waiting to hear if it still has the CARB certification or not.

Old 08-22-2023, 11:28 AM   #8

Quadvan said they would sell me a tank, but I had to pick it up. I think it was around $3000. I was ready to pull the trigger, but didn't have time to go up to them to drive one down and couldn't find anyone conveniently passing through to pick it up for me.

The 30ish gallon tank is brutal when I tow my toy hauler getting between 5-7mpg.
Old 08-22-2023, 12:24 PM   #9

QuadVan is the only one still ordering the 45 gallon tank. SMB just piggybacks off their orders, or did when they were still building out actual vans. I think now SMB is only converting cutaways. QuadVan can do a CARB compliant conversion, but that also requires installing an additional charcoal canister, so it’s a little involved.

You can DIY the 55-gallon tank on an extended van, but you’ll need to harvest the crossmember from a salvage cutaway chassis. MG’s kit made it easy because it was basically laser-cut bolt-in version of those. The factory crossmembers are riveted in. FWIW - I do have one of those kits in may garage. I was planning on adding a 2nd tank to my van, but since I sold my trailer, I don’t rally need the extra capacity anymore.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:01 PM   #10

Garage
I was looking for an eventual replacement on my 2013 5.4L UJOR 4x4 van earlier this year and wasn't having much luck so I pushed it to the back of my list for now since I have an unmodified plastic tank.

Though I did talk to Jake from Aero Tank and he said that his tanks wouldn't work for any gas van made after 2008 due to the change in fuel pump design and that took some persuading even to discuss the option of gasoline fuel tanks as an option. I briefly talked with MG about how to remedy that and his suggestion was to just replace the fuel pump with an older model version that would with aero tanks design, but this would most likely require some wiring modification but it didn't seem too complicated. The biggest problem with all of the options I have seen (from my understanding at least) is that pretty much only the transfer flow version will get you any CARB compliance.

Then a few months ago I stumbled on a post on Instagram from @hancofab on Instagram that said they were working on a 45 gal all aluminum fuel tank for both diesel and gas Econoline vans. In their Instagram post, they said they would work for all 4x4 systems and all engine models. This one looks nice but I don't know anything about the company or anything really more than what they shared on the post. Depending on price it might be the way to go.

If anyone knows anything more or is serious enough to reach out to them please report back any information you find!
Here is a link to their website
A link to a quick video they posted of the tank
A link to the Instagram post I saw
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote