Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #1

Know a good 4x4 shop?

I have a 2005 e250 Pleasureway that was converted to 4x4 prior to my purchasing it. I don't know who did the conversion and my knowledge of 4x4 mechanics doesn't extend much past driving one. So I would like to find someone in SoCal that could evaluate the setup and maybe let me know what improvements could be made. I pretty sure I need new shocks. I contacted Agile offroad but they said they couldn't "effectively" work on my vehicle which confused me as I thought I had seen other posts here that said they had work done there on similar vehicles. They suggested another offroad shop might make a custom spring pack.
If anybody has a shop or mechanic they could recommend I would really appreciate it.

B1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #2

That’s strange that Agile turned it down. Is it a PW Traverse pop-top van or one of the PW full campervans? If the larger van they probably aren’t set up to deal with the larger van size beyond a standard van size. If it’s a Traverse, then yes, they definitely have done those before. The late owner even had one (or more) personally.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:59 AM   #3

Garage
If you are in SoCal, you might try Jeremy at Weldtec Designs: https://weldtecdesigns.com/
Old 03-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

Some leaf-spring conversions were done so poorly, there's nothing you can really do to make them better, aside from yanking out the front axle and doing it over. Ditto a bad coil-spring conversion like some TJ specials.

Any idea if it was done by a shop? Or do you think it was a backyard conversion?
Old 03-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #5
Site Team

SoCal is a large place, so how about at least posting what county you are in?

Herb
Old 03-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #6

So Bay shop

Very knowledgeable shop

https://www.yelp.com/biz/south-bay-t...ve-hawthorne-2
Old 03-14-2020, 10:15 AM   #7

It's a Pleasureway poptop. Don't know if it's a Traverse. It on an e250 rb with the 5.4l v8. It has coil springs front and leafs on the rear. The real problem I have is with the front wheels bouncing uncontrollably if I hit a bump just right. Doesn't happen often but enough to know I want it fixed. I think the bigger tire/wheel combo the previous owner put on are to much for the shocks. So I don't really think it's the leaf springs that Agile suggested I upgrade but it could be. That's why I want someone with more knowledge to check it out. And I know Socal is a big place but not so big I can't drive there. I'm in Ventura county btw.
As for who did the conversion I was told it was a shop in Mexico that built 4x4s for Baja.
Thanks for the Weldtec suggestion. I'll check them out.
Old 03-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #8

Take some detailed photos of the front suspension and steering and we can probably tell you what you've got and what your options might be.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 12:06 PM   #9

Pics of suspension

Not sure if I did this correctly but here are some pics of my suspension.
Attached Thumbnails
frtsuspension1.jpg   frtsuspension2.jpg   frtsuspensionleft.jpg   Frtsuspensionunderneathjpg.jpg   rarsuspensionleft.jpg  

Old 03-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #10

Looks like a newer Javier aka Crows to me... but I'm not an expert. Someone else should be able to weigh in and confirm.

Which isn't great for you, but not terrible. I would definitely have a reputable shop inspect it, and look for weld quality, control arm alignment, brake line droop length, and anything else they see. Check drag link and track bar - they should be parallel. Also check gears.. he's been known to put front axles with mismatched gear ratios.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote