Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #171

Re: Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
cool Eric... I can hear that 460 hittin' low all the way from here
And it does, but I got a completely reliable 10.5 MPG out of it for the last 7500 miles!
Whoa, look at my right rear door in the first pic, how it's sagging! I've obviously bot the body pretty tweaked there. I can assure you it DOESN'T look like that all the time!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #172

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by purana182
Seems like this is the way to go. Any update on the front end leaf spring version of this? For the SMB 4x4 conversions.
We have been through about 4 iterations of valving on a 2006 SMB 4X4 conversion and doing the 5th, 6th... later today. I'm still not happy with the results although the owner feels there is a significant improvement. I just want to get some of the harshness out under certain conditions and then make it available.

We feel that a spring change would be benefit the van greatly, but want an affordable solution without having to do springs, although that would be another option.

I'll post results after today's tests.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #173

How are the quigley kits coming along? Did you find a spring supplier yet?
dude1play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #174

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1play
How are the quigley kits coming along? Did you find a spring supplier yet?
We have been buying all we can locate but have are still running way behind on everything. I could fill 100 orders today if I had the time and product.

We are doing our best...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #175

Got my RIP kit installed 2 weeks ago
I was going to get it shipped to NY, but decided to swing by San Deigo on my x-country trip.
I'm glad that I had Ramsey and Glen do the install.
This was the first Ambulance that Ramsey did. He test drove and then re-valved the rears until he got it the way he felt it should ride.

His work definitely tamed the beast. Driving out large bumps on the road caused the truck to bounce to the point things were shifting around the back. Hitting bumps at any speed was a white knuckle experience.
That was much improved after the install.
I have not really had it off road, but believe I will be much more confident in most situations.
In spite of Ramsey's busy schedule he was willing to work with me so I could get to my meeting in LA on time.
I never felt rushed by him he was willing to answer all of my novice questions. His work is top-notch and his years off road racing experience are apparent. I enjoyed looking around his shop and seeing some of his creations.
The drive home was much more pleasurable.

THANK YOU! Ramsey for fitting me in!
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407089874.732577.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407089890.731595.jpg  
cjken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #176

Garage

Have you tried Currin springs in Wilsonville OR? They do custom rates. My cousin married the owner and when I checked it out they had custom jobs heading out that day. Might be an option.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by purana182
Seems like this is the way to go. Any update on the front end leaf spring version of this? For the SMB 4x4 conversions.
We have been through about 4 iterations of valving on a 2006 SMB 4X4 conversion and doing the 5th, 6th... later today. I'm still not happy with the results although the owner feels there is a significant improvement. I just want to get some of the harshness out under certain conditions and then make it available.

We feel that a spring change would be benefit the van greatly, but want an affordable solution without having to do springs, although that would be another option.

I'll post results after today's tests.
Glad to hear that you are working on an RIP setup for the SMB 4x4 conversions.

Any improvement would be greatly appreciated by my wife and kids.

Look forward to more info as the testing continues.

R
Old 08-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #178

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

Another satisfied RIP customer! Ramsey and Glen worked their magic yesterday on our 2007 Quigley van and all I can say is wow -- it's like a completely different vehicle. It actually has a functioning suspension now, is much more comfortable, more stable at speed, the diesel no longer makes clackety noises, and it gets 25 mpg!!! Okay, the last two didn't happen.

The van spa day included the following:
1. Four Fox shocks with Agile Offroad custom valving.
2. Fox shock steering stabilizer.
3. Drop brackets for front sway bar.
4. Progressive front coil springs.
5. Added one full-length rear spring (psuedo military wrap) and modified short overload springs.
6. New rear shock mounts (good riddance to the Quigley abortion modified mounts).
7. Aluminess front bumper.
8. Death wobble diagnosis and cure.

BEFORE

On the road, our van always had decent manners for a one-ton truck. It tracked straight, was mostly unaffected by winds, and stayed in its lane. Easy to drive with one finger even towing a 6,000 lb trailer. Death wobble reared its ugly head about two years ago. New trak bar bushings helped for a while, but it came back. Off road, the ride was punishing at speeds over 15 mph. Before I cut 1/2" off the front rubber bump stops, it was intolerable. Even the smallest dip would result in a jarring blow. The rear leaf springs were almost flat and completely touching the shorter overload spring on the bottom of the spring pack. The van looked the part of an off-road beast, but it was all show and no go.

AFTER

The van sat about 3/4" higher in the front with the new progressive springs which put the front about 1/2" higher than the back. After fitting the additional leaf spring and new counter arched overload spring on the rear and a short test drive, the ride height front to rear was basically the same (within 1/8"). I got to watch the guys at National Spring put a curve in the flat overload springs while we waited on a 100-ton press. Also got to see Ramsey configure the Fox shocks with the different diameter and thickness of stainless steel washers and ones with special valving properties. He sets both the compression and rebound to each customer's application.

The taller progressive coil springs added much needed additional travel to the front end. The helper spring and arched overload allowed the rear springs to droop and compress much easier. The new rear shock mounts welded on the axle tubes are much cleaner than factory and offer better ground clearance. Longer shocks were fitted on the rear so we had full droop of the newly more flexible springs.

My steering drag link ball joint was shot, which accounted for 95% of the death wobble issue. A local Ford dealer correctly identified that and I ordered that part from Quigley and had Ramsey install it. Ramsey noted that the steering box is starting to click (you can feel it by holding the pitman arm while somebody rapidly moves the steering wheel back and forth small amounts). He has seen this on other 4x4 vans running big tires -- it just wears out the boxes. Only remanufactured ones are supposedly available and I will likely have to replace that at some point in the near future.

The dramatically improved ride quality make the van a pleasure to drive. I had a 2.5-hr drive home and the van was so much more stable on the freeway and rock solid in turns that I found myself unknowingly driving much faster than usual because of the smooth ride. Potholes, driveway entrances, speed bumps, and parking lot drainage swales are no longer things to be feared. The suspension is much more compliant and all the improvements work perfectly together. There is no getting around the fact that it's still a heavy van, but it has a bit more trophy truck spirit now.

The Aluminess bumper is a work of art and truck sexiness at its best. It should have been one of my first purchases, but like many I gulped at the price. Now to add a winch, d-rings, and lights. Spending money helps the economy right????

I can't say enough good things about Ramsey and Glen or more highly recommend Agile Offroad. A+++ for customer service, very reasonable pricing, and they even tolerated me getting in the way and turning a wrench or two. They are excellent mechanics and fabricators with considerable experience with 4x4 vans. Both are also avid off road racers and their shop was full of drool-worthy race cars and two other cool customer vans. They were in the process of converting a Sprinter van to 4x4 by adding a custom independent front axle based on a Ford 9" differential. That will be something to see.

If your van rides like crap, take it to Agile Offroad for the RIP treatment! I'm sure you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #179

Great story!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #180

Do you have pics switchfoot before and after?
dude1play is offline   Reply With Quote