Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 12:49 AM   #21

Re: Quigley conversion and fuel tankage

Doug: There are pictures of what BajaSportsmobile is describing in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12618&start=45

See the pic with the welded transfer case adapter tube; this pushes the transfer case rearward requiring about 7" of the stock gas tank to be chopped off. Most other converters don't use this welded tube. Without the tube the trans needs some disassembly to mount the transfer case.

I just filled up this morning right when the low fuel light illuminated and it took 25 gallons; assuming that I have roughly 3 gallons left when the light comes on, that makes a 28 gallon tank capacity approximately for my cut-down Advanced 4X4 tank.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 AM   #22

Garage

I'm looking for something with larger capacity too... but I really would like to avoid steel tanks due to the delamination issue I keep reading about.

Are there any alternatives that would fit in my 02 Quigley'd 7.3 van? Plastic or Aluminum would be greatly preferable over steel.

I know UJOR makes an aluminum tank, but I'm not sure if it'd fit my van. I will have to ask them. And I have seen people use the newer plastic tanks on their van's, but they're too long to work with a 4x4 van.

Another question... I emailed Quigley regarding my fuel tank size and they confirmed that I should have a 31gal tank under my van. But every time I fill up from E, I can only fit 21-22 gal in it... is the Ford fuel sending unit really that off that I still have 10 gal left even when it reads E?
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #23

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
Another question... I emailed Quigley regarding my fuel tank size and they confirmed that I should have a 31gal tank under my van. But every time I fill up from E, I can only fit 21-22 gal in it... is the Ford fuel sending unit really that off that I still have 10 gal left even when it reads E?
My tank does the same thing. I have a 30 gallon after axle tank and when it reads "E" I can only put in 23 gal so I have about 6-7 gal in extra fuel in the tank. It is kind of nice to think of it as a reserve.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
My tank does the same thing. I have a 30 gallon after axle tank and when it reads "E" I can only put in 23 gal so I have about 6-7 gal in extra fuel in the tank. It is kind of nice to think of it as a reserve.
Cheers
Darryl
My '13 Quigley does the opposite: holds 31 gallons but runs all the way out reading 1/8 of a tank.
mpfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #25

Apparently these fuel tanks are not available for gas E-series vans. I talked to Aero and they said diesel only. I sent a couple of PM's to bahasportsmobile on this forum and have not received any response of any kind.

Just FYI for any gas Quigley owners like myself interested in larger/aux fuel tanks.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:58 PM   #26

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Without CARB (California Air Resources Board) certification for gasoline applications, California manufactures and distributors can not sell these tanks.

I got a call for a customer of ours - a van bought in the Pacific Northwest with a Ujoint tank was failed at the smog inspection when brought to California - he was looking for a factory tank from us to install.

Sorry, there is no simple solution.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #27

Thanks. I'm fairly price insensitive and would pay a significant premium for a 40+ gallon tank good for Virginia, but it is starting to look more like no solution at all -- not even a complicated and/or expensive one. Range is a significant limitation of the Quigleys, and there does not seem to be an "answer" at any price.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #28

I've looked at all the alternatives I can find for extending my range. I have never been able to put more than 28 gallons in my Advanced 4WD modified tank and since Alaska has no smog checks, I can do pretty well what ever I want. I looked at the Aero tank, a cut away tank, and U joint's and finally decided that rather than spend nearly $1000 to gain perhaps 20 gallons of fuel, I'd simply carry more fuel in Jerry can's. While I was in California, I bought three 5 gallon "waste oil" tanks. Oddly, these look and perform exactly like fuel cans and they fit very nicely on the top of my Aluminess rear box. So for a little over $100.00 I now have a total of about 45 gallons depending on whats really left in the tank when the gauge reads empty. It's not the best solution, but it works for now...............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 AM   #29

Quigley conversion and fuel tankage

My family would cringe every time we came across a felled tree until I discovered the versatility and convenience of plastic explosives. Now we look forward to those precious moments
Old 02-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
My family would cringe every time we came across a felled tree until I discovered the versatility and convenience of plastic explosives. Now we look forward to those precious moments
Huh?