Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Re: Quigley Steering Stabilizer/Damper

OOPS!. Well I got the kit that Scatter bought and missed one part of the equation. Deaver spring pack. I have a stock SMB springs. The distance between the tie rod and top of the spring pack is only an inch. Even with shorter U-bolts the bolt that holds the damper sticks up too far and could be sheared off during a turn while the spring pack is compressed further than normal. Too risky on my build, so I guess to recoup my purchase I'll just have to go get some deavers

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

LOL

I can see it now.....

"Honey.... we have the SMB, so we HAVE to have the matching trailer to make the investment worth it...."

Not the same, but similar logic... Good Luck Dave!
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #33

daveb,
Would it work if you put the tie rod mounts on the bottom of the tie rod instead of the top? Just curious.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:16 PM   #34
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saline
daveb,
Would it work if you put the tie rod mounts on the bottom of the tie rod instead of the top? Just curious.
I'll look into it closer. I'm sure there is a way to make it work. The axle plate still needs to be mounted above the tie rod. I will have to look to make sure both shocks are level, if not it might be possible to make an extension block and leave the plate where it is if the angle changes. The shocks themselves would sit a bit lower but it did look like that might work. The other thing I would like to check is if the middle support plate will rattle against the tie rod.

Scatter...do the U-bolts that hold the middle support plate around the axle clamp tight enough and stay put to keep the plate off the tie rod? Seems like it would want to rest on top of the tie rod if it were to shift at all.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:38 PM   #35

This article really spells out all the aspects of 4x4 suspensions and steering systems. Why one is used over another, etc.

4x4 Truck Steering System Parts - Steering Theories

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticl ... index.html

j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #36

Yikes, didn't think about the Deaver's making a difference on the fitment of the stabilizer. Sorry about that.
daveb, the U-bolts that hold the center bracket onto the axle tighten up where I don't think there will be any rotation. I just got back from three days of beating the snot out of this thing on some nasty dirt roads and nothing shifted on mine. The system is working great!!!!
When I talked to Skyjacker, I told them I was working on a custom build and couldn't give 'em a specific vehicle. I also had spent a lot of time on their web page looking over the installation instructions for every one of the kits they make. That way I was able to figure out which kits might fit. I just needed some dimensions for their U-bolts and brackets. The guy was impressed that I had done that much research and was very helpful. As I mentioned, he pulled some kits, measured things and called me back.
The kit I used works and fits great on the SMB suspension, but I guess maybe only with the Deaver springs. I'm sure it will work on the stock SMB springs before they sag too much and the clearance between the tie rod and springs gets too tight.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #37

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Anyone have the Cliff's Notes for that steering article???
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage

I'm gonna try what saline posted and it should work. It just happens that the shock center to about the edge of the bushing is about 1.5 inches and the same as the tie rod. I might have to add a few washers to get it perfect, but I think it should work. I did stare at my flattened and slightly reversed curved springs for a long time wishing for the Deavers.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #39

Keep us posted Dave. If this works on your van I'm going to get this setup as well.
Josh
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage

Well I installed the Skyjacker damper kit on my rig tonight. I’m still not happy with the clearance between the mounting stud and the spring pack. Even with mounting the tie bar plate upside down as Josh (Saline) suggested, the stud is still somewhat close even though I tilted the plate down/forward for extra space. The mechanics at work said I should be able to angle the shocks down a bit if needed without causing any trouble. One problem is that the tie rod is also able to move up or down slightly which can close the gap between the spring pack. I might pull the damper system off due to this…I don’t know. I also decided to reverse the shocks and mount them backwards to how Scatter did his. In a hard turn the damper body would be very close to the spring pack and reversing them allows the boot (and shaft) to hover below the springs the majority of the time (not all the time!). But now the dampers sit so close to the tie rod only a piece of paper can slide between them. Hum???

On the plus side, a test drive was like night and day. What a difference. The steering felt better than ever. I honestly don’t know how much the bottom leaf will flex so there might not be a problem, just caution in the back of my mind. I'll try to edit some pictures in.

GOD, GET ME SOME DEAVERS!