Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #41

Re: Quigley Steering Stabilizer/Damper

Any more opinions on it since you have driven it a bit? I decided to order the kit myself in the hopes that I can make it work. I got it for $155 through a local shop.
*** Edit to add***
I just installed this kit( Skyjacker 7220) on my 04 SMB 4x4 with stock (flat) springs. The clearance is very close but no contact so far. The difference is substantial!!!! The van no longer wanders when on the highway, much more controlled.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #42
Site Team

Garage

I put mine through the mill during some mean off roading and all is well. The middle plate did fall down on the tie rod but seems fine, no vibration or rattle. Now I got to pull those red boots off and put the black ones on I ordered.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 AM   #43

I use Steering Stabilizer/Damper and assistand power steering ram and it works fine

From Iceland 1993 Ford Econoline 7,3 e4od Dana 60 front and rear 4:10 difs and ARB lokkers 38" summer tyres
Larus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #44

yep, I took the boots off all together and painted the whole assembly black.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #45

Yeah, I got black boots and did my Stabilizers too.

Not sure if I'll keep the boots. I like 'em for protecting the shafts from rock dings, but they also can trap water and then the shafts will rust. That's worse then a rock ding. I'll just have to keep an eye on 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Stabilizer.JPG  

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #46
Site Team

Garage

Great pics. What a difference on those springs! Salines are just like mine....look at how much taller scatters are. What did you get for extra lift scatter? 3 inches?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #47

Yeah, almost three inches. Actually, that just made it about 1/2" higher then when I picked up the van new. Sure hope the Deaver's last longer then the stock ones. But if nothing else, the ride is way better then the stock springs when new. Very happy here.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #48

I have used a Nitrogen Filled dual set up on the last three vans . These allow for some adjustment to compensate for the two different unsprung weights on the front end . The two Previous sets were Bilstein and this set are Fox . The passenger side is set at 100 PSI and the drivers side is set at 90PSi .
I have found this to be a good compromise and my sweetie will now once again drive the SportsMobile off road again after getting SLAMMED against the drivers side window on Laurel Lakes road . There is a photo on page three in my Gallery
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:45 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larus
I use Steering Stabilizer/Damper and assistand power steering ram and it works fine

And pic
From Iceland 1993 Ford Econoline 7,3 e4od Dana 60 front and rear 4:10 difs and ARB lokkers 38" summer tyres
Larus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #50

There's a lot of stabilizer posts here, but I'm sticking with the first one that was started. To get to the point, I've changed my stabilizer setup from my original post on the second page here. That one was still working, but the shocks were taking a beating from rocks, etc. Also, I guess my front end is getting a little looser from many miles of snotty roads and rock crawling. Anyway, I just put on a stabilizer from this outfit: http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/rss/reflex.html
Their main claim to fame is the Return To Center (RTC) concept. A standard steering stabilizer is just that, it stabilizes things. The shock(s) add resistance to steering movement and tend to keep the steering where it is. No matter where it is. What most of us are looking for is that they help keep the steering from changing when the tires feel they need to wander due to varying road conditions, hitting pot holes, rocks, etc. Seems to be more noticeable the larger the tires get. They also help as steering/suspension parts wear as the shocks are attached to the tie rod and get into play before a lot of the parts that wear come into the picture. Anyway, bla, bla, bla.... The RTC part was what caught my eye as not only is there the standard shock, but the heavy duty spring adds further resistance to movement and then pulls/pushes the wheels back to center when they get off track.
Not only do you get a standard stabilizer here, but when the van drifts from straight down the road, the spring pulls/pushes everything back to center. Bottom line, it's much better then the dual shock setup I had on the van for the past few years. It also fits better in that it is now mounted between the tie rod and the right hand axle tube. Pretty much totally protected from rocks, etc. It really does keep the rig going in a straight line much better the my old setup.
One problem is that they are pretty pricey. The best price I found is here:
http://www.hitchsource.com/roadmaster-r ... 32137.html
The unit to get is the RSSC one. Their tech thinks that their RSSA unit would be too heavy duty for our rigs and he was worried about it wearing out our steering boxes. I didn't get any of their brackets as they too are expensive and I couldn't figure out which ones would work on our rigs. I just made 90 degree brackets out of angle iron and used U-bolts to fasten to the tie rod and axle tube.
So, this is my latest steering mod. When it will no longer correct the problem it'll be time to replace steering components.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB