Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Recommended max speed in 4WD High?....

With the snow flying for the first time today, thought I'd try to find a recommended max speed for 4wd high. Am a new SMB owner but not new to 4wd's. My SMB has an Atlas II t-case, 4.10 diffs, Warn locking hubs. Wondering if SMB or Atlas has a recommended max speed (mechanical) for this set up?

Looking for more of a mechanical limit for driving on snow-packed or wet roads, rather than a commentary on safe driving habits!

Thanks! (I searched the forum and did a quickie google search but found nothing relevant...forgive me if the discussion is buried in the forum somewhere)

Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #2

Re: Recommended max speed in 4WD High?....

I didn't think there was a max speed for the drivetrain. Maybe for peace of mind, but not for the mechanical parts.

As a point of reference: Salem-Kroger sold vans to the government that were guaranteed to go 100mph in 4wd.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

I have traveled 75 mph in 4wd no problem and I have the SMB conversion. I will warn you that traveling at highway speed with the hubs locked tends to spit out front differential fluid out the breather hose if traveling for a little while. It happens almost everytime I go to and from ski MTN (45 min drive via highway). I have even changed my fluid thinking I would be low. It was not low and in normal range. It spits out just a little. I even made breather hose long and positioned it in engine compartment near hood and it still pukes it up.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #4

Recommended max speed in 4WD High?....

Just a guess, but if SMB West thought there was a limitation there would be a "warning label" on the shifter or near the 4WD light or something...

Not that an absence of a label means there couldn't be issues - just that Alan's liability lawyer hasn't thought of that one yet.

Or maybe the warning label factory is running low on ink trying to keep up with governmental regulations.

Tough to really lay odds on which is more likely these days...

Remember: always wear your seatbelt, don't sit too close to the airbag, don't txt, don't talk on the phone, don't eat, and don't talk to your passengers. Especially when driving at highway speeds with 4WD engaged. Oh, and always latch the penthouse top.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #5

Thanks, all. Appreciate the responses! A couple of different vehicles I have owned had lawyer stickers re: 4wd speed and conditions, etc. I always thought they were liability warnings so it made me wonder.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparkwy
Thanks, all. Appreciate the responses! A couple of different vehicles I have owned had lawyer stickers re: 4wd speed and conditions, etc. I always thought they were liability warnings so it made me wonder.
Yeah, I know what you mean about stickers. Now days some vehicles barely need a paint job. My new truck has them all over. Not to go off topic but it's Ridiculous.

Pop the hood and there are more!

I figured the winch on my SMB would have a sticker but it doesn't. I guess its because I actually own the vehicle rather than it being a work truck.
Attached Thumbnails
stickers 015.jpg   stickers 012.jpg   stickers 018.jpg   stickers 010.jpg   stickers 003.jpg  

stickers 008.jpg   stickers 007.jpg   stickers 009.jpg   stickers 016.jpg   stickers 017.jpg  

stickers 006.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #7

But nothing says you can't go over 100mph in 4wd, does it?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Maybe a little common sense but I've clipped along fairly fast in high four wheel drive. I know there is a limit on your speed in low range but I don't recall seeing any stickers on that either. Probably in the manual. I've also heard about the the diffs puking but have my breather tubes run into the fuel door area...no problems yet. I ran them high for water but I guess it serves a dual purpose. The worst thing I've heard about the diffs running hot is doing a water crossing but the water probably won't even hit the differentials if I take the stream at 100MPH .

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #9

Just a thought... Not SMB owner, but plenty of 4WD experience. If you can go 100 mph or 75 for that matter, why would u need to be in 4WD???
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #10

Unrelated to a SMB but a few weeks ago we responded on a truck on fire. A 1 ton Ram had inadvertently been left in four wheel drive and then driven for an hour and a half at about 70-80mph. Turns out, it didn't like it much. The front pinion/ driveshaft sheared off, severing a few lines underneath and then caught on fire.
It was raining but not snowy at all.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote