Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #21

So greatly agree with Twoexentrix and Vanzilla. So much more comes into play before a stabilizer that is dismissed. Stabilizer sales is the first thing that the chain store off road shops like 4Wparts will try to sell you...guaranteed. Remind me of used car salesmen, no insult intended, they just don't know what you really need. Now that Fox has come out with the $400.00 stabilizer with a reservoir even more. Although the Fox is my choice for a steering shock. I have gone a different route, not that I was having issues. After my first experience with a PSC Hydro assist I am on path to retrofit all my 4x4's. I did my Jeep several months ago and received my van unit 2 weeks ago plus waiting on a unit for my Scout 800. Although this is not needed for street units this could solve many problems across the board, especially if you have lifts, oversized tires or even a 2wd that goes off road. I have $300 in the Jeep rebuild and another $300 in ram with all hose and fittings. Well worth it!

Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:25 PM   #22

I'm just gunna go ahead and order the Redhead. They get so much praise on here, seems worth it.

I believe this is the one I need?

https://redheadsteeringgears.com/pro...spline-sector/
Old 03-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #23

There are some forum posters that have had issues with the Redhead. You may want to search post for examples.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
There are some forum posters that have had issues with the Redhead. You may want to search post for examples.
Oh fun stuff. I had only seen praise. But yeah found the sadness. I was originally just getting an oem or as close to oem box. If the first one lasted 350k miles, seems alright to just replace it with a similar one.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmarm View Post
Oh fun stuff. I had only seen praise. But yeah found the sadness. I was originally just getting an oem or as close to oem box. If the first one lasted 350k miles, seems alright to just replace it with a similar one.
My first OEM lasted 170K miles enduring the SMB lift and 35x12.5 tires its whole life - only replaced the steering box because I was replacing other parts at the time and it just made more sense to do it all at once. *I took your approach, if the OEM lasted that long it must have some quality to it.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:01 AM   #26

Alright van is in the shop to get a new steering box. Crossing my fingers! And will probably move up getting new tires sooner than April. But will see how the shop visit goes.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:23 PM   #27
Orv

Garage
If you have someone who can help, I'd definitely recommend looking under the van while someone cranks the wheel back and forth a little. Look for anywhere there's slop or lost motion. Pitman arm steering has multiple pivot points and the geometry of it amplifies slop in any of them.