Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Tire question for 4x4

Looking into purchase of new tires for the 4x4 Quigley Ford van. Probably going to go with the ProComp 33's. Is there any problem with running different width tires front and rear so long as height is the same. 10.5 wide fill front fenders nicely but lack in the rear. Could use 12.5 easily. Thanks

madf1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #2

Re: Tire question for 4x4

When you are on a surface that allows the tires to slip, you can even run different height tires front and rear. On a non-skid surface both ends should be the same height, but don't need to be the same width.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
When you are on a surface that allows the tires to slip, you can even run different height tires front and rear.
I don't know any time that would be a good idea...

You can run different heights on dry pavement, you'll just wreck your transfer case- ditto with running on slip surface, if they're more than 10% different in ratio you'll wreck your transfer case eventually... if you drive around on pavement with exactly matched tires in 4x4, you'll also wreck your transfer case eventually...

Another way to look at it is there really isn't that much continuous surface that would allow your tires to slip enough to justify different sizes...

As far as width, I guess you would carry a skinnier spare so it would fit front or rear?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #4

I did not figure it would matter as long as height was same just wanted opinions of those more experienced. No way I'd run different heights except maybe in an emergency, constant load on entire system looking for the weakest spot to cause pandemonium and steel carnage! Yep I suppose spare could be the narrower one. Thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 05:36 PM   #5

10.5 will definitely look skinny in back, but I would look into rear axle spacers (search UJoint for steel or SuperTrack for aluminum) and keep all the tires the same width, then do a five tire rotation with the spare to keep them all the same diameter.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
tire rotation
Also, what he said... should have thought of this, but side to side rotation won't do much for your tire wear.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldercrest
10.5 will definitely look skinny in back, but I would look into rear axle spacers (search UJoint for steel or SuperTrack for aluminum) and keep all the tires the same width, then do a five tire rotation with the spare to keep them all the same diameter.
Are you talking track width or tire width with the keep all the same suggestion?