Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM   #11

Re: U Joint 4WD conversion kit on a 2010 E350 passenger van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
How involved is the engine crossmember modification for the 4" lift? How much travel do you get with that?
The crossmember was trimmed slightly to allow for axle clearance, but doing that is not a problem since the crossmember no longer supports any suspension parts.

I am not totally sure about suspension travel, but I would guess in the 8" range. There is about four and a half inches of up travel, and I believe about three to three and a half inches of down travel. As I mess with the van some more I will try to get an accurate measurement of the total travel.

ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
How involved is the engine crossmember modification for the 4" lift? How much travel do you get with that?

I show how to do it in my install video, it's a pretty basic cut & easy to do when the front suspension is out/before new axe is installed.

I'd expect this van (all 4" conversions) to have 7-8" of travel.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Quote:

I show how to do it in my install video, it's a pretty basic cut & easy to do when the front suspension is out/before new axe is installed.

I'd expect this van (all 4" conversions) to have 7-8" of travel.

Chris,

It sounds like you might have conered the whole RSC market! That is amazing! I know on the sportmobiles some complaing of uptravel...I think they are typically at 4 or 6 inches of lift but??? My question is does your 4 inch lift have the pumpkin/differential track bar or anything else hitting the cut out cross member? Also how much uptravel for the new 4 unch lift cross over steering before it hits the frame? Does it ever hit the frame? Can you modify the 4 inch RSC crossover steering knuckle to sell with any four inch lift? I know sportmobile has a crosover steering on some pretty low lifted vehicles and don't so much care for the limited and thick front leafs.

I ask all of these quesiotns because my wife would be really mad at me if I lifted anything else we drive or want to buy because she does not care for the 38 inch tires and wants a minivan and this 4 inch plan is the best compromise I can negotiate with her and still put our kids in the vehicle without me sleeping in the garage! Anyway, I am a big fan of the modular kit that you put together where any budget would work from a guy going to the junk yard or ebay after some dana 60s and a 247 to dynatrac and big $$$ turnkey options. Pretty much anybody can get into the 4X4 van segment now because of you and your love for 4X4 vans and UJOR opens up alot of doors for people that took custom fabrication in the past.
sac95985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #14

Quote:

Chris,

It sounds like you might have conered the whole RSC market! That is amazing! I know on the sportmobiles some complaing of uptravel...I think they are typically at 4 or 6 inches of lift but??? My question is does your 4 inch lift have the pumpkin/differential track bar or anything else hitting the cut out cross member? Also how much uptravel for the new 4 unch lift cross over steering before it hits the frame? Does it ever hit the frame? Can you modify the 4 inch RSC crossover steering knuckle to sell with any four inch lift? I know sportmobile has a crosover steering on some pretty low lifted vehicles and don't so much care for the limited and thick front leafs.

I ask all of these quesiotns because my wife would be really mad at me if I lifted anything else we drive or want to buy because she does not care for the 38 inch tires and wants a minivan and this 4 inch plan is the best compromise I can negotiate with her and still put our kids in the vehicle without me sleeping in the garage! Anyway, I am a big fan of the modular kit that you put together where any budget would work from a guy going to the junk yard or ebay after some dana 60s and a 247 to dynatrac and big $$$ turnkey options. Pretty much anybody can get into the 4X4 van segment now because of you and your love for 4X4 vans and UJOR opens up alot of doors for people that took custom fabrication in the past.
Thanks! The RSC had me pretty stressed out, but we got it dialed in & now I'm happy. Any van that you try to keep low will have limited up travel, it's just the way it is. My 4" kit has a usable 4" of up travel. I haven't had a single issue with a van bottoming out under normal circumstances. The 6" kit will allow more travel, and I usually recommend it to anyone that plans on giving the suspension a good flex from time to time

Due to the flat steering arm with the RSC upgrade, crossover fits with the 4" lift. The only way to get this knuckle is with the RSC system, so it's not easy (or necessary) to upgrade on a non RSC equipped van. No issues with the drag link hitting the frame. No engine crossmember clearance issues either.

We don't want you sleeping in the garage (although the van would be a nice getaway) so good luck with the wife!!!!!!!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Quote:

Chris,

Thanks! The RSC had me pretty stressed out, but we got it dialed in & now I'm happy. Any van that you try to keep low will have limited up travel, it's just the way it is. My 4" kit has a usable 4" of up travel. I haven't had a single issue with a van bottoming out under normal circumstances. The 6" kit will allow more travel, and I usually recommend it to anyone that plans on giving the suspension a good flex from time to time

Due to the flat steering arm with the RSC upgrade, crossover fits with the 4" lift. The only way to get this knuckle is with the RSC system, so it's not easy (or necessary) to upgrade on a non RSC equipped van. No issues with the drag link hitting the frame. No engine crossmember clearance issues either.

We don't want you sleeping in the garage (although the van would be a nice getaway) so good luck with the wife!!!!!!!

Chris, Thanks so much man! I take it the 4 inch does not have much bumpsteer without crossover steering? I don't care about uptravel as long as I can pull into parking lots without anything hitting. I had to grind my track bar barket so that the trackbar did not hit on a rockcrawler loong arm kit for my Dodge so much so the differential did not hit and I don't want that. But I don't care about uptravel or offroad capabilities more than a stock 4X4 excurion would have. We have a bunch of excursions at work and I think the shackle can move back about 1 inch before the back renforcment on the shackle hits the frame. I know they have more than 1 inch of uptravel but looking at the bumpstops and the shackle to frame on hte front of the excursions...it can't be that much. I just want something that is not a death trap for my family and I don't care about much else. I don't want a camper I want a passenger van. I don't know what we could do with a minivan though she likes the dual sliding doors and etc...but we live in Yosemite and an AWD...I don't think we need lockers, but an AWD minivan give me a break! Our expedition is way to small for us anyway, just try climbing over the seats to change diapers and pick up spilled sippy cups, escaped kids from car seats etc.

But she would only go for the 4 inch lift to get into 4X4 and me too as long as there are no clearence problems. I bought a little 3 inch body lift for our expedition a couple of years ago and my wife just laughed saying stop tearing everythin apart so it sits in the box in the closet. I do have her talked into 2wd vans sitting low and a 4 inch lift 4X4 being about the same as an excursion.

Not to hijack this thread but PM me (I still need to find out how to check PM and how to post without hitting quote??) if you know of any newer black 6.0 EB (if Ford did not make them with perticulate filter after 2007?) or any low dollor older unicorn type black 7.3 in extended wheeel base. I already put it in the classified section as well. I take it this opens up the newer 6.0 with RSC which are much easier to find as time goes by and yet I did not want to buy a newer RSC to be stuck with 2wd...but now I guess you did it again! Hey by the way, just curious is the RSC still functional with the UJOR kit and I take it the extra cost for the UJOR RSC parts is about?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #16

6.0 vans do not have RSC (even though they got the RSC door sticker for some reason).

BTW - QuadVan also does RSC vans. They have since it came out in '06. They also have a 2" lift option, but the tradeoff is travel. They only recommend for snow climates, not for true off-road travel.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #17

Quote:
6.0 vans do not have RSC (even though they got the RSC door sticker for some reason).

BTW - QuadVan also does RSC vans. They have since it came out in '06. They also have a 2" lift option, but the tradeoff is travel. They only recommend for snow climates, not for true off-road travel.

carringb,

I did not know 6.0 did not have RSC. It looked like the white van in this thread has an intercooler on it (6.0) but maybe it is a trans cooler? Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder if they had particulate filter from 2008 until the last deisil was made in an E van , which was in 2010 I think? I search on google but cannot find out about the particulate filter on ford vans or if there ever was one? It is much easier to find a 2007-2010 6.0 that is fianancible than a 98-2003 7.3 with hundreds of thousands of miles typically.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #18

Yes, the 6.0 has an intercooler.

No, there is not particle trap.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Tim, This is a stock Ford transmission cooler? Not what I got from Ford in 05. That one looks huge.
Attached Thumbnails
ujoint.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #20

So Chris, am I understanding this correctly? The different knuckle brings the linkage to a place where you don't need to use a Drop Pitman Arm and thereby eliminating any problems with the RSC?