Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #71

Not van related, but our daily driver was recently totaled in a rear-end accident. Luckily no injuries and the insurance payout was pretty good.

Shopped around a little bit and found this clean Fiesta ST! Happy to be back in a car with a manual transmission and looking forward to some fun spirited driving with this car.

motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 12:44 PM   #72

Nebraska Weather / Storms - WOW !

Hey Moto Van --

WOW - glad you and friends survived that weather debacle and all ! I've stayed at Lake McConaughey (?) once or twice - soft sand can be a struggle for sure ! Stayed there one time and had 6-8 inches snow - ripped my rear stone flap when it got pinned between my tire and snow as I was backing up.

Great job on the van - the ceiling rivnuts a great idea !

Hope you're having a great summer in Michigan !?

Russ G
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 04:45 PM   #73

Unexpectedly had some free time today so starting knocking things off my checklist.

First up was hitting the rusty spots on the UJOR rear bumper with some VHT rust converter. No photos but I guess only time will tell. Unfortunately the rust had crept a decent amount under the powder coat, so using a wire brush I was able to knock off another 0.5-1.0" of powder coat in all directions before spraying the rust converter. Still have not made any moves to fix the inherent plastic slider design flaw I mentioned a few posts ago.

Next was mounting up the Bushwacker fender flares I bought months ago. The OEM Ford running boards we have posed some challenges but I think I came up with a decent game plan to trim the plastic caps on either end of the running board and not have to trim the fender flares. Unfortunately after mocking up the front passenger flare, I decided I don't actually like how they look! Maybe they would look better with a black bumper and black running boards, but as-is they just look cheesy/tacky. TBD whether I decide to sell the flares.

Also started the tedious process of reconfiguring the UJOR roof rack to slide the RTT as far forwards as possible, so I can build a short deck on the rear of the roof rack. No major surprises, but the aluminum extrusion hardware is stuck pretty good and requires a good knock to get them loose enough to slide along the rails. The mounting feet are also digging into the epoxy in rain gutter, which I HATE to see as I know how rust-prone that area of the van is. Unfortunately as far as I can tell, all of the roof rack mounting solutions available for the E-series utilize a similar design, so this isn't necessarily a knock on the UJOR design.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:46 AM   #74

We've had an unusually warm winter here in MN, which means it doesn't absolutely suck to be fiddling around with van stuff outside. Finally designed and laser cut the rear deck portion of the roof rack out of 1/8" 6061-T6. Cost about $200 for material + laser cutting service from the local metal supplier, plus another $80 of hardware to install (yellow zinc plated 1/4 hex head bolts + drop-in nuts for the T-slot). Oh, and I guess another $130 or so to get an extra crossmember + brackets from UJOR for the roof rack.

Once the weather consistently stays above freezing for a few days in a row, I'll paint the aluminum deck w/ truck bed liner. L-track slots were inspired by MG(?)'s roof rack he posted on one of his builds.

Next up will probably be a fairing for the front of the RTT.