Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2024, 06:50 PM   #11

If you need to use a special tool every time, there is something wrong with your hubs. But in a pinch, Channel Lock pliers do the trick.
When you get your Huns serviced be sure they know to use the right type of grease. I had. Shop use the wrong type one, it froze up once a little water got inside( which always happens) the the hubs didn’t engage properly, and they stripped out. I thought I had 4 whelk drive, instead only 2 wheel. Got buried in mud. Only time I ever used my winch and all 4 Max Tracks. And 5 hours of my tiime.

lchukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchukar View Post
When you get your Huns serviced be sure they know to use the right type of grease. I had. Shop use the wrong type one, it froze up once a little water got inside( which always happens) the the hubs didn’t engage properly, and they stripped out. I thought I had 4 whelk drive, instead only 2 wheel. Got buried in mud. Only time I ever used my winch and all 4 Max Tracks. And 5 hours of my tiime.
Anyone have recommendations on what type of grease to use?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 07:28 AM   #13

I'm with Larrie -- be interested in the "right" grease !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
Anyone have recommendations on what type of grease to use?
I am afraid I don’t know the grease brand name or type. There is a great shop here in Boise that specializes in nothing but drivetrains. Every year in the fall before the rains I take my van to them for a once over. Then I head for the gumbo mud of the Owyhees.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:18 AM   #15

Any chance of checking with this shop - and forward a phone # or address/name - some of us would like to get this grease info - I'm guessing some type of "marine grease" due to water, etc. Thanks for any info passed on !
Old 05-13-2024, 04:35 PM   #16

To doublevan2, Laurie, and anyone else tuned in to this thread: the shop here in Boise (actually nearby Garden City) is Jim’s Drivetrain. A great old school kind of place. They say no matter what you end up with water in the hubs, if you spend a lot of time in deep water of serious wet conditions. With the “wrong” grease the whole grease blob tends to freeze a bit, so that the springs can’s fully engage or disengage the hubs, and things get stripped out. In warm or dry conditions this is not a factor. So they use a “light” white lithium grease. But a heavy lithium is too much, and turns into a paste that can cause problems.
Also for the ease of turning the hubs they spray it with some sort silicone spray that makes it easy to turn, but does not seem to collect dirt and grit and cause problems in that way.
That’s all I got.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:40 PM   #17

Thanks for the information. Now I just need to find time to clean and regrease them.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:40 AM   #18

Thanks Ichukar - much appreciated ! I "lost" my bearings on my first van on a virgin trip up to Alaska, after driving thru the Stikine River (tidal river - salt !) in BC., when the tide was out. Of course didn't know not a "brilliant idea" until about 4 months later when wonderful sounds emanated from the hubs, etc. About $ 1,800 bucks repair !
Old 05-14-2024, 06:36 PM   #19

Take it apart. Make sure the springs are in their respective places inside the hub and no one has added anything else. Clean out any grease or oil. There is a retainer clip that is supposed to fit into a grove on the ends of the splines. Problem is the clips do not stay on. Yours may have worked its way into the mechanism. Only use a silicone spray for lubrication.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote