Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #581

Power Steering Maintenance Item

Just a reminder if you haven't done it, there is a clamp in the power steering system that is prone to failing and needs to be replaced.

Here is a thread from the Sprinter Forum that is worth the read. Look to Post #5 (from Rob or Mark at Van Compass, not sure which) for a brief description and a picture. https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67463

There are two hoses that go into the cooler right next to the radiator on the drivers side, easy to find once you locate the power steering fluid reservoir. Follow the hose from the bottom of the reservoir. There are two hoses here, the clamp on the lower one is the one that is prone to fail.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:03 AM   #582

Thanks for this. Checked mine and it was definitely on its way to letting go.

Recommendation is to replace OEM clamps with fuel line clamps rather than regular screw clamps to avoid damaging linge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180722_090224.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	21764
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #583

Glad you caught it! Good picture, much better than the one I took, it will be a help for others looking for this.
I went ahead and did the upper one yesterday when I was checking the lower that was done previously. Haven’t heard of a problem with the upper and it looked fine, but I was there and I figured why not...
Old 07-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #584

Thanks for this. My bottom hose has pulled back some too. I'm on my way to pick up a pair of hose clamps. I've attached a pic of my situation (2016 with 11K miles).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5825.jpg  
Mer1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #585

Post 558 (Rear Differential Vent) Part 2

Post 558 detailed the rear differential breather vent I installed when I noticed that the breather tube had come loose and melted on the exhaust, fusing itself closed in the process.

As I said in the original post, "A remote breather vent located up high under the hood is a typical location for a much more aggressive off-road vehicle than Flint. I don't ever expect to see water above the original location, but now I have one less thing to worry about if the water ever does get that deep."

The ARB Breather Kit I installed under the hood accepts four inputs, so naturally when I saw the same type of breather vent running out of the top of the transfer case I decided to do the same with it. Why not; if one is good, two must be better, right?

Here is where the breather tube comes out the top of the transfer case:

These two pictures show where the breather tube runs into the frame rail and what it looks like when it is pulled out. I thought there may have been some sort of a check valve located on the end of the tube, but it is nothing but an open tube.

Here is what the new breather tube looks like when attached to the existing fitting on the transfer case:

From here it runs up under the hood to the vent fitting I installed on the front of the air compressor. The rear differential breather tube is the upper one, the lower one that I am pointing at is the new transfer case breather.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #586

Thanks for the update, mine was loose and slightly leaking. You saved me much heartbreak down the road.
salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #587

Fitz - This Friday (9/14) is the day! I've pieced together a checklist for pickup, but was wondering if you had any suggestions on things to look for or focus on during the walk through. Thanks!
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #588

whwv,

Congratulations! We picked up Flint two years ago (9/8/16), life has been better since.

Have you found the checklist I used? See page 8, Post #72 in this thread. The list plus some related member comments in the following posts should prove helpful.

You live in the Bay Area so going back to Fresno to have minor items corrected is not that big of a deal. I would normally say stay overnight somewhere close by with plans to go back after trying everything out, but you are picking up on a Friday (SMB closed Saturday), so I'm guessing your plan is to give the van a leisurely check-out and then return as needed. Good plan.

You have a check list - good. I sent mine to SMB before we showed up just so we all would start on the same page. I also made sure that Matt (installed the sound and security system) was there to run us through all that. You will be looking at your (expensive) bright & shiny new toy and your checklist will keep you grounded and on track to follow a methodical process. Use the list, take your notes, ask your questions and don't be in a hurry.

The basic plan needs to be to go down the list of YOUR options one-by-one to satisfy yourself that all has been included, looking specifically for anything missed and for any quality issues you may notice along the way. See how each system operates and have them walk you through it more than once if you feel the need. I am not an advocate for filming the process, I think your time is much better spent concentrating on learning vs. recording. Future questions, and you will have them, can be dealt with via a call to SMB or with the ever-helpful members of this forum.

Specific items I would suggest:
1. Have the SMB rep get in the van with you and take it for a drive at freeway speed. Listen for odd wind noises or unexplained rattles. Suggest you resist the urge to drive, rather that they drive and you move around the van listening while it is in motion at speed.
2. Get a detailed walk through of the water system, in particular to include locating and understanding the function of every drain valve that was installed. Do this now when its not needed so you will recall it the first time you encounter freezing conditions and you are wondering how to drain the system.
3. Do you have a D5? If so, have them show you the tank and look at the fluid level inside. Also have them show you how to operate the system on AC power. Run the D5 on diesel and locate the source of the ticking sound you will hear. That is the fuel delivery pump, and knowing where it is and what it sounds like in normal operation is a good thing.
4. Locate a CAT scale and weigh the van on the way home before you load it up with everything. It is really nice to have a baseline to work from as you start adding things to the van.

These are complicated pieces of machinery with lots of systems and it is normal to have to go back to have items addressed. Flint was built in Austin and has been serviced in Fresno for the post-delivery items that needed attention. I am happy to report that I have been very satisfied with both locations and that the lines of communication have always been open and well-used.

Enjoy the experience and let us all know how it goes!

PS: Treating yourself to a good meal at Harris Ranch on the way home should be given consideration as a much-deserved reward!

Tim
Old 09-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #589

Tim - Very helpful, many thanks! And a happy belated two year anniversary with Flint!

I didn't even think about testing the D5 on AC. I also didn't think about the test run with them driving. We are coming from a Four Wheel Camper which is very basic compared to this new setup. And yes, since we are picking up on a Friday, the plan is to do a short shakedown weekend in Downieville.
whwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #590

Downieville? Come on over to Homewood at Lake Tahoe on Saturday to the Adventure Van Expo and those of us there will do our best to avoid spilling beer in your new van as we "help" you look it all over!

https://www.adventurevanexpo.com/new-page-2/

Tags
carport, molding trim clips, recovery ramps, skid plates, suspension upgrade