Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 AM   #11

installing on the penthouse top??

Can these fans be installed on a pent house top?? if so how and is there any things we should know to make sure it will not leak??

photos would help I would love to dot his on my 2005 Chevy sportmobile

thank you

Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
Can these fans be installed on a pent house top?? if so how and is there any things we should know

Yes, but SMB officially says no. Quite a few threads already on this, including how-tos with photos. Search on “fantastic fan penthouse” and they should turn up.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #13

As Brian said it's been done many times, several times by me.
Keep in mind the thread title is a bit tongue in cheek.
Your SMB top will not be compromised and it will only leak if you don't seal it properly.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...nty-17265.html
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:58 AM   #14

maxx air fan install

good info here...thanks to all...

quick question if anyone wants to chime in....

i'm going to install the maxx 6200 and am curious if anyone has any opinion on placement and how to navigate the ridges that are on the top of the van roof where i am thinking about putting it.....

here are some pictures....

i would prefer to have the fan right in the middle of the ceiling between the passngers but there is the metal bar you can see running through the middle.... i could take that out i guess?

and how would this thing sit flush when there are those ridges running every 12 inches or so?....

if there is already info on this somewhere i apologize but i couldnt find it.....

any thoughts greatly appreciated....

and yes almost 5 years into this project!! haha...still having fun but ready to hit the finish line....

cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0380.jpg   IMG_0381.jpg   IMG_0382.jpg   IMG_0383.jpg  
choochee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #15

I have the MaxxAir fan deluxe in my Sportsmobile and I love it. I place it on high to collect any trespassing flying insects on the easily removable and cleanable screen. I love the 10 speed settings that allow me to have a lot of choice between a very slow fan speed to draw some moisture out of the van in the Winter while showering and the high speed setting for bug collection or moving massive amounts of air.

The only complaint I have really isn't much of a complaint. I have noticed that due to how the controls/sensor for the fan are recessed into the ceiling that the remote won't work if I am sitting in the back of the van unless I hold it very low to try to get a direct line of sight between the remote and the recessed sensor at the fan.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by choochee View Post
good info here...thanks to all...

quick question if anyone wants to chime in....

i'm going to install the maxx 6200 and am curious if anyone has any opinion on placement and how to navigate the ridges that are on the top of the van roof where i am thinking about putting it.....

here are some pictures....

i would prefer to have the fan right in the middle of the ceiling between the passngers but there is the metal bar you can see running through the middle.... i could take that out i guess?

and how would this thing sit flush when there are those ridges running every 12 inches or so?....

if there is already info on this somewhere i apologize but i couldnt find it.....

any thoughts greatly appreciated....

and yes almost 5 years into this project!! haha...still having fun but ready to hit the finish line....

cheers!
I would NOT place it between the front seats. It will cause lots of wind noise and you will forever have a hole there if it doesn't work out, unless you do some significant metal work to undo it. Jage, our forum founder, battled his for years which was mounted there. It leaked and was generally a headache. Perhaps he will chime in with specifics.

If you mount it further back in the fiberglass there are many benefits. Lack of wind noise, useful above the galley or bed and it is much easier for the average person to work with fiberglass. Read the post I linked above and you will see pics of how to build a wall around ridges of your roof to have a flat mounting surface. I've done a few this way and they are trouble and leak free.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #17

I agree with the above post. And if you (must) have it there, perhaps add two more supports parallel to the center support before removing it for fan placement.
Back in the day, lots of vans had a huge hole between the front two seats for a moon roof but the rest of the roof was still intact. Not much structural loss.
regis101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #18

I watched a couple vids about these fans. I'm wanting one myself.

One guy used the white version and made a comment that sunlight bleeds thru. It was shown in the vid.

I'm wondering if the dark lid helps to block sunlight or if its just tinted ?

I'd prefer a blackout. One could open the lid to allow extra light into the cabin I suppose?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #19

well it seems like the consensus is that i'm going to need to but a hole in the penthouse.

gulp....

i guess 86Scotty's link is the one the follow?!?!

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...nty-17265.html

what could possibly go wrong?!
choochee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:33 PM   #20

Just cut the 14x14 section out as if you had to put it back in at some later date.
I'd be thinking it's easier to repair/replace that vs a section of steel roof, not that you'd ever.