Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #31

Re: Sportsmobile Lean

what about an airbag suspension system for leveling... they make em.

racrx451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #32

I sent Mercedes Sprinter Bodybuilder Tech the out of balance information and asked about airbags.

Here is their reply:

Per your inquiry, the maximum allowable weight difference side to side is 4%.

What you are describing is way over the limit. Pls contact Sportsmobile to solve this issue.

Do not add airbags since they may impact adversely the adaptive ESP system.

I hope Sportsmobile has some magic up their sleeve, but I fear I will have to remove the combo bath and hot water heater. No need for the water heater if I have no shower...

:-(
SkinnyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #33

You may be able to have SMB install a portable shower in the center of the aisle that uses a shower pan. The shower pan can be stowed when you aren't using it. The side to side weight difference information from Sprinter Body Builder Tech is good to know, I hope SMB takes note of it!

R
RickL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #34

It gets worse. I weighed the front wheels individually on two different days. With just me, no water and no cargo and no passenger (all of which are on the heavy side) the FRONT AXLE right wheel is 360 pounds heavier. With no water and no cargo and a 200 pound canoeing buddy, cross the FRONT AXLE right wheel load 510 pounds heaver.

Because the front wheels are so far from the cargo area it is difficult to increase the weight. It would take 1020 pounds along the left edge of the cargo bay 85 inches in front of the center of the left rear wheel to balance the front axle. Of course, that would cause the right rear wheel to be 510 pounds overweight. So, a 510 pound weight would need to be added over the right rear wheel. So, all I need to do is add 1530 pounds and things will be balanced.

Of course I could have three 170 pound people sit on the front right fender over the wheel.

Two great options!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #35

Location: Disguised as a fat guy, deep inside a secret bunker, drinking martinis, playing rock and country.
Send a message via Yahoo to kmessinger

I see a lot of out-of-balance Sprinters around. One plumbing vehicle has all the shelves for parts and tools on the driver's side and the passenger side is used for carrying pipes. Another is a glass truck with all the glass hanging from the drivers side. I don't know what the inside looks like.

4% is a pretty ridiculous allowance. A spare tire, one passenger, chains or a bag of pinto beans would throw you off. Heck, after having supper at the Olive Garden I'd be over the 4% on the driver's side.

But, red flags should have gone up from all involved in the project just looking at the design on paper.

Without propane, there is room on the drivers side behind the fuel tank for two AGM batteries which would add about 300 pounds to that side. Moving your spare from underneath to the back door on the driver's side also would help.

Regards,

Keith
Old 01-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #36

SkinnyRV,
Where do you stand right now on the van?
Has SMB-Texas made any change or are you still trying to figure out what to change?

To me adding a passenger shouldn't be part of the balance equation.
If there are no occupants inside the vehicle, then how much weight do you need to shift from the right to the left and do you have a list of options on how to do that?
How much does the canoe weight?
Assuming it's under 100 lbs it shouldn't be part of the equation either since sometimes you might not be carrying that and still use the van for camping so you can't count that as part of your balancing.

Any chance you can take another pic with your canoe inside the van?
I'd be curious to see what it looks like inside.

I really like your clean layout so rather than ripping out or altering any of your existing cabinets or combo bath I'd be more in favor of shifting infrastructure things (water, batteries, propane) to the left like Keith suggested and perhaps some type of platform storage unit that you can put the canoe on top of and have storage below. I think you mentioned this in a previous post.
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #37

I am just guessing it is a combination of the 150 pounds of pollution stuff added to the right side, with the sophisticated ESP computer program and tricky sensors on the 2010 Sprinter that are at issue. Otherwise, air bags or upgraded springs could keep things on the level and stay below gross weight. There are omnious warnings about the computer applying brakes and throttle limits incorrectly causing an accident instead of preventing one. Maybe someday the computer will be smarter.

Moving the canoe/ kayaks up would make loading a pain and then I would need to sleep under the hanging boats... Loading on the floor I don't have to worry so much about leaking wet boats.

After looking at iterations and confirming weights, I opted to delete combo bath and pantry (300+ pounds) and move the inverter to the left side. That should contribute nearly 400 pounds shift to left side. If needed, I can then add 300 pounds ballast to the left side where needed and still be at the same weight.. There are drainage issues with gray water too far from the holding tank, so that limits options on balancing water. I have ordered the aux battery bracket that fits above front left wheel and could mount 100 pounds ballast there. For a number of reasons it is not practical to move one of the aux batteries to that location. If needed can move the aux batteries from the rear to more forward position, but behind the driver's seat is still an amazingly long way from the front wheel.

So far as other shower options, the in-floor shower toward the back of the van was is still an option, but I know sooner or later, I would splatter water all over the place, and would have to unload the canoe/kayaks to use. Could also have fixed marine toilet, but think a porta potty better suits my needs. Can use the kitchen sink for washing hands and shaving.

Too late to show a picture of canoe inside with combo bath, but there was enough room to walk the length of the vehicle and have access into the combo bath. Canoe's have rocker (upswept front and back), so naturally wrap around stuff a little when on their side. Kayaks are thin.

Changes should be completed by Sportsmobile this Friday, and I will post a picture with a canoe inside.

Sportsmobile has been very considerate about making it all work.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #38

Auxillary Fuel Tank?

While it sounds like you have the issue under control, an additional option might be to consider an auxillary fuel tank that could possibly be mounted on the left side. Might as well make the ballast potentially useful. One problem could be that the use of fuel from the auxillary tank would alter the benefit of the additional mass, but if you used a tank that involved a transfer pump you could hold the auxillary tank full until you needed it and then transfer the fuel to the main tank for use, reducing the time you'd be without the benefit of the additional mass.

One possibly available auxillary fuel tank is listed on the Sprinter Store's web site:

http://upscaleauto.com/specialty_parts.htm

Howard L. Snell
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #39

SkinnyRV,
Thanks for the update.
Keep us posted on how it goes.
Good luck!!
windguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #40

Sportsmobile did quick work of the changes. Will post a picture after the weather clears and I load a canoe.

They did a good job covering/hiding the holes from removal of the combo bath and pantry as well as the vent holes from the old location of the inverter. They did not vent the new location of the inverter, and it will be less trouble for me to do so than drive back to Austin.

Have not disconnected the toad (Subaru Forester) nor crawled under the vehicle to check the gap between bumper and axle, but the vehicle looks a lot more level. Am still considering adding the upgraded anti-sway stuff from Mercedes-Benz.

Still have the 2 1/2 gallon electric quick heat hot water, fresh and gray water tanks. Will make a decision on them after it warms up.

Given I drain the water systems during the winter, I won't miss the combo bath until spring.

Trying to get ready for a road trip that will take me to four corners area for hiking, then skiing at Alta/Snowbird near Salt Lake City, then up to Bonners Ferry Idaho.

Looks like I will now have a vehicle that I can use to transport my wife. She has advanced stage Alzheier's with contractures and is wheelchair bound. I schedule the facility bus (kinda like a Ford Class C) on those rare occasions I need to transport her but with the swivel on the Passenger seat and the 31" wide aisle could wheel her in and transfer to the passenger seat. May use the old floor section that is just under 10 feet long to make a ramp, but it will be heavy. I traveled extensively with her until she started having the muscle contractures.