Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2024, 10:45 AM   #11

That's another great option to try !

doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #12

Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. I’ll respond to the individual questions and post some pics when I get home.

Just to add a little clarity… The water is coming in above the windshield and pooling on the old “roof” above the cab. I don’t think it’s the windshield that’s leaking.
EricI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricI View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all the responses. I’ll respond to the individual questions and post some pics when I get home.

Just to add a little clarity… The water is coming in above the windshield and pooling on the old “roof” above the cab. I don’t think it’s the windshield that’s leaking.
That makes it most suspect

When you drive any water will go up over the vehicle like an airfoil.

I have had a number of Harleys - every single one has had multiple mystery sounds - usually due to a loose nut or bolt. At least half the time something that sounds like it's in front is in the back and vv.

Things aren't always as they seem but usually less complicated than the average human makes 'em.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:28 PM   #14

Attached some pictures.Not sure why the first and third ended up sideways, sorry about that.
The first is of the driver's side front corner.

The second is the inside of that corner, with a puddle of water, which is sort of hard to make out. I can see water leaking out of the pinch weld above the headliner the visors. I don't think it's coming from the windshield, as I had a professional reseal it. But I could be wrong.

The third picture is just behind the B pillar. Water gets into that area where the sealant is. The screws are also rusty (hard to see in that pic), which makes me think it sometimes leaks down the screws into that area below. Almost every screw I see has some rust on it as though water has been leaking down it.

From what I'm hearing from you all, it seems like the "flooding" with sealant method is probably my problem, and that I need to scrape it all of and start over. Any suggestions for tools to scrape the sealant? I think I might need to replace the vinyl over the screws, any idea where to buy that? Does the 3M marine 4000UV sealant work? I heard someone say Butyl, but isn't that black? I'd like something that blends in more. Thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
C1F92912-7960-430C-8A4E-1B6B73CB646D.jpg   A92BFEE3-7BF6-4C5A-8323-B44C5FAFC9CF.jpg   9ECF5F27-DD0D-481C-8AD5-749AC363D139.jpg  
EricI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 06:46 AM   #15

They do make more of a light grey colored butyl - I've used it on my grey metallic 2002 van - Could that be something like delamination happening ?
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:33 AM   #16

I've used heat to get rid of nasty sealants. A heat gun on low setting (high will destroy) would make it slightly more flexible and workable. There's no easy way. I have also used a n osc tool with flexible flat blade with limited success. Hell awaits.

I use butyl strip for interfaces of material - especially useful for different materials such as metal to fiberglass, etc. But as a sealant from the outside, I'd probably get a self leveling poly or lap sealant from the pro section of Home Depot. It's used to seal roofs. I personally avoid the weekend warrior products there. Let someone else confirm though.

Also - the pros use very small openings and spread the stuff around. You don't want a gaping hole in the caulking tube - dispense and spread a bit.

I wouldn't do anything at all except get rid of excess old sealant until the smoking gun is found.
SMB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB123 View Post

Things aren't always as they seem but usually less complicated than the average human makes 'em.
To that point, I had water pooling in the floor of a car once to the point of rotting the carpet and when i finally figured out what was happening it turned out to be water traveling on a single strand of wire that was not OEM, it was part of a aftermarket alarm system. It was shocking how much water could "ride" that wire and find its way to the floor.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #18

Yeah based on the photos.. if it was mine I'd remove every bit of that silicone. Flooding that stuff on everywhere and hoping it works.. never works. Then go in with a small amount of butyl, in the right places, for a clean and watertight seal.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 04:45 PM   #19

I notice many of you are talking about butyl. I assume you're talking about butyl tape? why that product? Why not automotive seam sealer. The stuff I have is polyurethane. I will be painting over it and it allows for painting.

thanks
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 05:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
I notice many of you are talking about butyl. I assume you're talking about butyl tape? why that product? Why not automotive seam sealer. The stuff I have is polyurethane. I will be painting over it and it allows for painting.

thanks
If you want to paint, then you are right that butyl is not paintable. But technically, butyl is supposed to seal the gap BETWEEN surfaces, not go on top. You could use butyl, then apply a paintable caulk or polyurethane as a outer, cosmetic finish. I just try to never use sealers that have to "cure". They always seem to eventually dry up, shrink, and leak.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote