Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2023, 11:04 PM   #11

Garage
The steel swing arm pivot with bronze bushing sounds similar to the Buckstop. Make sure toost photos!

Old 11-27-2023, 11:44 PM   #12

Wow, did I read that correctly. $600.00 to ship it to your residence?
This old va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:53 AM   #13

I've followed the guy that runs American Backroad Co for a few years now and he seems to be super nice and open about his work. Small shop, 100% locally made (CA). He's iterated a few times on the front + rear bumpers, so I'd be confident that he's worked out any trouble spots. Hopefully it goes well - definitely keep the forum posted on how you like it!
Santa Cruz, CA
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Wlvs View Post
Whelp, think I'm gonna go ahead and be a guinea pig for the group. Nick with American Backroad got back with me explaining his bumper design, and I think I'm comfortable enough to move forward with it. Folks that I've been able to contact within his orbit all have good things to say. The guy also seems passionate about his product, which I definitely appreciate. In case anyone is interested, here is a synopsis he provided about the bumper design:

Brad,

Thank you for reaching out.

The hinge design is not outsourced. Everything is laser cut or machined for a slip fit. It is laser cut mild steel double shear with a 3/4” stainless tight tolerance bolt. The pivot is a self lubricating oil empregnated brass sleeve and washers top and bottom. The steel pivot bolts through the back face of the bumper with 1/2” bolts and through the bumper surface with the 3/4” stainless pivot bolt. The bottom edge of the steel bracket is designed to distribute the load over internal gusseting inside the bumper. Even the end cap is designed to stiffen the pivot mounting location. It is the stiffest carrier design I’ve ever designed.

I’ve used variations of this sleeve design and latch for 20yrs since designing at an offroad manufacturer. I’ve had it on my own box van dual carrier set up for 13 years. I live in a heavy snow environment and have never had to change any bushings or latches and my carriers are still tight. This product is all of the best of these experiences and improvements in what had been lacking. We’ve got customers in both the mountain and ocean environments for over a year now.

The arms are 6061 aluminum tubing laminated with laser cut panels and cnc formed panels wrapping all sides and Tig welded for structural redundancy. On the latch side we use a lockable cast compression latch. There is an internal rib welded in the tube to reduce crushing over time and the contact with the back face of the bumper is UHMW fastened with stainless hardware. The arm also rests on a UHMW skid when closed to support load and not have Powdercoat on Powdercoat contact.

We include a powder coated mild steel spare tire mount that can be bolted to either arm. It adjusts for wheel backspacing and we offer either 8x6.5 or 8 on 170mm lug nut hole selection. It comes with Econoline wheel studs and lug nuts. This allows customer to upgrade to a matching wheel lock later. (Locking lug nuts not included)

The bumper portion is 48lbs and arms are approximately 30 lbs. each. The bumper body and arms are powder coated aluminum, we pre assemble it and include mounting hardware and zinc plated internal 1/2” nut plates for ease of install. It is designed to fit over a stock or aftermarket hitch. In cases where there are not stock mounting holes on the van frame the provided but plates can be used to match drill holes.

We suggest a 150lbs rating on each arm and the bumper is designed for the masses to fit a 35” tire.

If you are expecting heavy loads we suggest drilling a 4th bolt hole on the outside upper portion of your frame end plate to reduce frame flex.

For further support we have also suggested that customers weld bracket gussets to reduce frame flex at the end mount. A simple 3/16” x 2” flat strap fits nicely to weld in. (We don’t include this but pictures are attached)

We use a powder coater I’ve used for 15yrs while running several equipment manufacturing and job shops in the area, they are the best in our area.

We strive to provide a product we’d want for ourselves. This is an investment and we tried to design value into the product and use the best processes available for manufacturing.

It does ship LTL and with a pallet is about 180-200lbs. We have a flat rate shipping of $595. This usually works out well for customers ordering multiple products. In some cases we’ve had issue getting carriers to rural routes for delivery so you make that call on if it’s easier to receive at your commercial business. It is usually easier process at a business.

I hope this helps with your decision on a rear set up. Good luck on your build.

Thank you,

Nick

I'll keep this thread updated as I progress on this adventure.
Wow, that truly is an impressive explanation of his product/service. It would draw me in also. I wish he would train the rest of the world to do similar. I wasn't aware of this brand and ended up with a U-Joint front and a Aluminess rear based primarily on that i thought they looked the best.
Attached Thumbnails
back.jpg   Front close up.jpg  
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote