Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > Van Body
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2024, 10:17 AM   #1

Does anyone have the specs for the transmission cooler fitting on an E-Series?

It is the fitting that goes into the radiator, on the attached diagram it is what PN 7890B goes to. Radiator exploded diagram does not show it and the Ford dealer acts like it does not exist. Mine is leaking and I would prefer to get the fitting before taking it apart

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20240105_121458.png  

Old 01-05-2024, 11:38 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal View Post
It is the fitting that goes into the radiator, on the attached diagram it is what PN 7890B goes to. Radiator exploded diagram does not show it and the Ford dealer acts like it does not exist. Mine is leaking and I would prefer to get the fitting before taking it apart

Thanks
I'm pretty sure that all the hose connections (not speaking about hard lines) whether trans cooler or radiator tank are hose barbs.

I have to redo all of my hoses as old hoses seem to leak.

Which connections? You mention radiator fittings but i cant see them in this picture.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
I'm pretty sure that all the hose connections (not speaking about hard lines) whether trans cooler or radiator tank are hose barbs.

I have to redo all of my hoses as old hoses seem to leak.

Which connections? You mention radiator fittings but i cant see them in this picture.
Yes it is probably barbed but I have yet to see it on a diagram
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1755.jpg  
seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Yes it is probably barbed but I have yet to see it on a diagram
With that clamp, it can't be much else except a hose barb. I would be more worried about what looks like a cracked radiator lower tank.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
With that clamp, it can't be much else except a hose barb. I would be more worried about what looks like a cracked radiator lower tank.
Is it a generic fitting or something ford specific, I did not want to take it apart without having the new one. I sent the pic to my mechanic and he said if the radiator was cracked it would probably be leaking coolant not ATF
Old 01-05-2024, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
I sent the pic to my mechanic and he said if the radiator was cracked it would probably be leaking coolant not ATF
No comment.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:44 PM   #7

Quote:
No comment.
Yea I guess that sounded silly obviously a cracked radiator is going to leak coolant. What I meant was if the fitting on the tranny cooler side was cracked it would cause a coolant leak as opposed to ATF, sound right?
Old 01-07-2024, 08:25 AM   #8

You don't have a hose or barb problem you've got a problem at the threads, almost certainly being that the plastic radiator/trans cooler is cracked at the threads. I think this is your part linked below but it's probably not the problem, the problem is the radiator/trans cooler. They aren't expensive. On an 06 I would replace the whole radiator if it were me.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...onnector,13058
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 09:21 AM   #9

[QUOTE=86Scotty;327942] On an 06 I would replace the whole radiator if it were me.

At 110K miles I was going to finally change the plugs on my 1997 E-350 5.4L. As I started pulling the air horn off, the first thing I noticed was a cracker upper radiator tank.

Being someone who hates to redo work, I pulled the fan shroud and fan so I could change:
  • tensioner pullies (bearings) I have since just adopted the practice of regreasing the sealed bearings which tend to come from China dry.
  • New serpentine belt
  • water pump
  • radiator

and then more easily get to:
  • Plugs (Motorcraft)
  • COP (Denso)
  • Injectors (eBay specials)

A basic tune-up set (Plugs, COP, Injectors)can be had for $200 so there is no reason not to freshen up the whole set. Of course, if you want to save some money (like the OP of my 2000 E-350 6.8L), you can let a mechanic diagnose a misfire problem and charge $750 to change a single COP

COP https://www.ebay.com/itm/355013971382
Injectors (Pre 08) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (I have a set to install right now; they look good but not yet tested. All other new options at $50 a injector)
Motorcraft Spark Plug - SP479X (this looks like the right one)
Old 01-07-2024, 09:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Yea I guess that sounded silly obviously a cracked radiator is going to leak coolant. What I meant was if the fitting on the tranny cooler side was cracked it would cause a coolant leak as opposed to ATF, sound right?
Depending upon how your radiator was constructed, what I saw looking at the aftermarket radiator that I swapped out at 110K miles is that there is an internal ATF tank with hose barbs inside of the lower radiator coolant tank. The coolant tank is sealed by an O ring against the inside of the lower reservoir.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7202.jpg   IMG_7203.jpg  

Tags
econoline, radiator, transmission cooler