Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #1

E350 side door rattling

Looking for instruction to stop side door rattling

Suicide door and normal side door rattling driving me crazy

Played with the strikers with no luck

Thanks

vanislevinceeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
You'll be better served here and on any other vehicle forum by stating what year, make and model you're seeking information about. In your instance those bits could affect advice you're offered.

What exactly is "played with the strikers..." entail?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Ford Econoline e350 2003 xlt
Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Door striker is the latch that is bolted to the frame
Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

I believe that the seals on those doors are hollow on the inside so to the extent you can thread some of the small size foam backer rod, or a similar sized cord maybe, you could effectively swell the seal up a bit to create a tighter fit for the doors. This may stop or minimize the door movement and therefore the rattle.
There should be a joint near the bottom where the sides come together that can facilitate the insert
Farmbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #6

Are all of you latches double-latching? Most of the bad rattles I've seen are because the strike is too tight, and the latch only single-latches. Especially on the 40-door. So I've always had to move those strikes out. I did have to tighten the strike for the 60 door. Might kept slipping after a while, so the last time I smeared some red loctite behind the plate, and that fixed it for good.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #7

Garage
Rattles drive me nuts as well. when I first picked up My Van i had numerous rattles - all but one turned out to be "loose" stuff (washers, a drill bit, tiny screw driver, air nozzle head, etc) in drawers, cabinets, AND in the bottom of the two barn door storage cubbies...not to question the obvious, but are you sure its the actual doors and not something laying inside the bottom of one?
Old 03-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #8

Farmbro. you method is exactly what I was thinking. Back in the day I worked for Chrysler on the pre delivery line, another we fixed brand new Dodge van doors from rattling, was to use in self sticking 1/8" weather strip you buy at the hardware store behind the weather strip unseen and makes for a snug fit.
Joe Futrmbl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:22 AM   #9
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmbro View Post
I believe that the seals on those doors are hollow on the inside so to the extent you can thread some of the small size foam backer rod, or a similar sized cord maybe, you could effectively swell the seal up a bit to create a tighter fit for the doors.
Sil-Glyde is tremendously helpful for lubricating the rubber while doing this, by the way. You can also use dish detergent or cable pulling lube, but Sil-Glyde works better. I also use it on the targa top seals of my Del Sol to stop it from squeaking.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
Sil-Glyde is tremendously helpful for lubricating the rubber while doing this, by the way. You can also use dish detergent or cable pulling lube, but Sil-Glyde works better. I also use it on the targa top seals of my Del Sol to stop it from squeaking.

If the door seals need help, here's a good thread, including a video on stiffening up the bulb portion of the seal.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...oor-22493.html

Herb