Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2023, 04:49 PM   #1

Garage
Econoline factory window tint options

Our van has very dark side and rear window glass. It appears to be factory tinting, probably the "privacy glass" option. We want to have clear side windows to improve the scenery from inside.

Anybody know:
- Can the factory tint be removed?
- Can I get new or used replacement glass that isn't tinted? Which option should I look for?

We do have the pop out window but would give that up if necessary.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:03 PM   #2

You can get clear easily. It's not expensive per window and the pop out window glass is still readily available in the aftermarket. It won't be cheap to have it all changed but it's not hard. Your dark glass is in demand if it can all be removed without breakage.

I do not think you can remove tint from the factory glass. It's made tinted, not added like window tint shops do.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 10:38 PM   #3

Talking

I was surprised when JoefrmSF pointed me to window availability via Amazon. Rear and side barn door pop out GLASS is available. It is the hardware that is not.

I would be interested in your dark factory tinted (as long as it is not the mirrored tint) window glass if you are wanting to sell them.

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/TYG-Econoline.../dp/B01FY7AQ5W

Eric is correct on no way to remove factory tint, it is baked into the glass itself.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #4

I have an '07 with tinted windows. A few years ago there was a little piece of something on the inside of my barn door window and window cleaner wouldn't remove it. So, got out my trusty razor blade window scraper and went to scrape it off. To my total astonishment the razor removed a piece of the tinting. Now I have a bright spot in my tinted window. I'm not very happy about this, but it seems like my factory tint could be removed with a razor.

Anyway, just saying.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 10:00 AM   #5

I don't think you would be able to see any more through the non-tinted windows. Is there much difference looking out through your existing clear verses tinted windows? The tinting also keeps some of the UV out, so the interior stays cooler.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:24 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
I don't think you would be able to see any more through the non-tinted windows. Is there much difference looking out through your existing clear verses tinted windows? The tinting also keeps some of the UV out, so the interior stays cooler.
Actually there seems to be quite a difference between the side door (privacy glass) windows and the windshield/driver/passenger roll down windows. Partly it is viewing the scenery, but also it makes the weather seem dark and dreary (or if it's already dark, even darker).

We're trying to avoid getting a bigger rig!!
Old 11-21-2023, 01:30 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
I was surprised when JoefrmSF pointed me to window availability via Amazon. Rear and side barn door pop out GLASS is available. It is the hardware that is not.

I would be interested in your dark factory tinted (as long as it is not the mirrored tint) window glass if you are wanting to sell them.

Amazon link:
https://www.amazon.com/TYG-Econoline.../dp/B01FY7AQ5W

Eric is correct on no way to remove factory tint, it is baked into the glass itself.
If we go ahead with this project I would sell the old glass, although packaging and shipping could be difficult/expensive.

I don't see an option for "mirrored tint" but this photo looks mirror-like.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20231121_202238012.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	49133
Old 11-22-2023, 06:29 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post
Actually there seems to be quite a difference between the side door (privacy glass) windows and the windshield/driver/passenger roll down windows. Partly it is viewing the scenery, but also it makes the weather seem dark and dreary (or if it's already dark, even darker).
This is due DOT restrictions tint levels with respect to which glass we're discussing. Anything behind the B-Pillar's pretty much unrestricted, front cabin glass has a limit of >20% or so.

Side and rear glass up to 65%, aftermarket pretty much unlimited up to 95%, aka "limo tint".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally View Post

I don't see an option for "mirrored tint" but this photo looks mirror-like.
Attachment 49133
What you're seeing this is the effect of the glass being that dark and simply reflecting an image of what's on the outside of the vehicle. From 1992 forward there was no such thing as mirror reflective factory glass in any location of the van body.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter View Post
I'm not very happy about this, but it seems like my factory tint could be removed with a razor.
Thats not factory tint. Someone applied tint to a base model clear window. You can take it to a local tint shop and they will fix you right up.

0% chance of removing the factory tint and still having usable glass afterward.

The wife and I went the opposite direction, we tinted over our factory tint for a true blacked out limo look. 15% all the way around including 15% over the rear tint. Looks awesome and really helps with keeping the outside from looking in.
Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #10

First off, check that no aftermarket tint has been applied. I have the privacy glass on my rear windows and door side window and there are no issues seeing out, but the Sportsmobile windows have aftermarket tint and they are hopeless for visibility.
dbhosttexas is offline   Reply With Quote