Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2024, 09:11 AM   #1

ff swap before 4x4 install

hey folks,

I am trying to figure out a cost effective way to get 4x4 and 2 full floaters under my '93 EB250

I currently have a spring under 3.73 semi float dana 60

I have a line on a 99 E350 FF d60 with 4.10s from a small srw cube van.
even though its a cube it should still be the same axle width as the van body e350 right?
also, I am guessing this is a spring-over axle?
If so I could hopefully just find some spring over e350 leafs and bolt the new axle up?

the 4.10s appeal to me as I need shorter gearing behind the 351 anyway. Its currently on 32" tires and is pretty anemic with the 3.73.

I think the van will still need 4.56s eventually but I was hoping to find a 4.10 front axle and get by without a regear at least initially.

I also like the idea of having rear discs.

so the plan is to swap to the cheap d60ff and leave it rwd, see how i like the 4.10s until I have time to add 4x4 using a timberline kit and superduty axle

smart plan?

Mitch

Mwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:11 AM   #2

IIRC if it's indeed from a SRW, you should be in good shape. Should be pretty easy and quick to check with a tape though. Double check spring spacing...I can't remember if that changes with the C&Cs or not. Wouldn't think so, but it's Ford, so who knows.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 10:29 AM   #3

thanks for the info. ill have to go see it and measure it.

and the van is spring over. idk why in the world I looked under it and thought it was spring under. lol.

Mitch
Old 02-04-2024, 03:56 PM   #4

When I ordered my 02 Super Duty E 350 I ordered it with several options. Dual Alternators, block heater & a 7.3 Diesel. Even though I had experience in at least 1/2 a dozen 4x4 conversions in pickup trucks using14 bolt, 9", D 60's, 44's, I assumed it came with a FF. I converted to 4x4 after the warranty and drove it till 2022 with the SF. Since I only used it for snow boarding and I had several Jeeps quads ect... there was no need to match the factory 4.10 with the 4.30 front axle. After 17 years with a 4.10s I decided to sell the Damon Diesel pusher due to grown kids and lack of use.
Since this was now my camper, I made a 4.30 swap only to have the SF break a tooth within the break in period. Since I was a locker fan I found a 2001 cargo and swapped it as it was direct bolt in only to find out no Detroit locker was available. However, I was able to the swap the SF calipers to avoid bleeding the brakes since they were identical. In summary, I was satisfied with 4.10's and 35's but the 4.30's add much more respose.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
When I ordered my 02 Super Duty E 350 I ordered it with several options. Dual Alternators, block heater & a 7.3 Diesel. Even though I had experience in at least 1/2 a dozen 4x4 conversions in pickup trucks using14 bolt, 9", D 60's, 44's, I assumed it came with a FF. I converted to 4x4 after the warranty and drove it till 2022 with the SF. Since I only used it for snow boarding and I had several Jeeps quads ect... there was no need to match the factory 4.10 with the 4.30 front axle. After 17 years with a 4.10s I decided to sell the Damon Diesel pusher due to grown kids and lack of use.
Since this was now my camper, I made a 4.30 swap only to have the SF break a tooth within the break in period. Since I was a locker fan I found a 2001 cargo and swapped it as it was direct bolt in only to find out no Detroit locker was available. However, I was able to the swap the SF calipers to avoid bleeding the brakes since they were identical. In summary, I was satisfied with 4.10's and 35's but the 4.30's add much more respose.
Thanks a lot for the info
I definitely like the idea of running a full float under a big van like this.
I think Im going to try and run it with 410s and a 32" tire for awhile. my 351 is pretty weak compared to your 7.3, it might struggle even with the 4.10s but I dont want to pay for a regear for awhile. we'll see.

Mitch
Old 02-04-2024, 06:24 PM   #6

weve had some serious rain here recently but it seems like its starting to let up. fingers crossed.

hopefully picking up the 4.10 ff D60 next week, Ill post about it in the build thread here https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...-eb-32261.html

its been sitting in a yard on the coast for like 6 months so i expect it to be pretty rusty. its apparently got 132,000 miles on it. hoping to give it rotors and calipers and some fluid and run it...
Old 02-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #7

Beware the cutaway SRW chassis has 2 different full-float options. The mid-tank chassis come with the same with axle as the vans, which is good if you going to run adapters when yo convert to 4x4, to match the front axle bolt pattern. This brings the width out to match the front track width.

The rear-tank cutaways came with an axle 5-1/2” wider. These are great if no adapter will be used. It’s too wide to run with adapters, unless you make some monster fender flares.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Beware the cutaway SRW chassis has 2 different full-float options. The mid-tank chassis come with the same with axle as the vans, which is good if you going to run adapters when yo convert to 4x4, to match the front axle bolt pattern. This brings the width out to match the front track width.

The rear-tank cutaways came with an axle 5-1/2” wider. These are great if no adapter will be used. It’s too wide to run with adapters, unless you make some monster fender flares.
thanks for that.
I need to take a measurement when i get down there.