Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2023, 11:21 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post
The issue with using PPF or another pad between the magnet and the paint is magnetic force is inverse squared to distance, so a little distance makes a lot weaker magnet. Will the thickness of PPF make a significant difference? Not sure, but it will weaken the rated holding power.
The Load Force really wouldn't apply to begin with...
Load Rating on magnets is measured perpendicular to the surface its mounted to - Since these magnets would affix to a vertical surface and the weight (of the recovery boards) distributed in-line with that surface, any load rating which accompanies the unit would not be applicable.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:51 AM   #22

CDA camper, How did you mount the trax to the bars?
lulupass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rltilley View Post
Seasucker makes suction recovery board mounts. They should work fine on paint. Probably would not be my first choice since theft is easy. I have heard from many others that their bike mounts work very well so a few recovery boards should be no problem.

https://www.seasucker.com/products/r...AaAoPpEALw_wcB
Ha, I thought of Seasucker, grabbed the link and then saw you already posted it. Here's a board on the side of a RV...beats drilling holes even if it is more expensive plus you can come up with other uses.

https://d3g5hqndtiniji.cloudfront.ne...31&crop=center
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 01:12 PM   #24

So after some exploratory "dry" fitting, I went for it using the original 3 bolt pattern and Yakima hardware (the washers are a bit special as they are designed to press evenly on the channel).

Used the heavier type M8 rivet nuts (17/32 hole) squeezed with Harbor Freight Doyle tool. The sheet metal on the body is actually quite thick, with the bracket attached I applied quite a bit of downward force and there wasn't any flexing tendency at all. Would probably work even with the pins, but with the large flat area of the Yakima bracket there is not question any forces are spread well spread out. . I also put some stiff rubber bungees to perhaps counter the downward moment a bit on bumps, but probably not necessary. Still, might fabricate metal straps to hook into the gutter instead and attach under the bracket through the same M8 bolt for longer term peace of mind, but so far this seems lot more than adequate, even when a shovel is added.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1918.jpg   IMG_1926.jpg  
mkosina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:08 AM   #25
Orv

Garage
Now that I see it, it makes sense. That part of the body has a curve to it and a couple embossed creases that add strength, and it's right below the gutter pinch weld. I think I was picturing it further down where the body has a bit of a tendency to oilcan.
Old 12-13-2023, 11:53 AM   #26

Re: magnets - that looks very clean - happy how my bolt-on solution turned out (and I can strap the shovel on), but probably would have tried this. I do trust the magnets more than sea-suckers; wouldn't hesitate if failure just meant loss of the equipment and its extremely unlikely multiple would lose seal simultaneously, but anything with the potential of becoming a projectile at highway speed would just make me perpetually nervous to enjoy the ride.
mkosina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulupass View Post
CDA camper, How did you mount the trax to the bars?
I'll snap a photo later today and post it. I made it easily with parts I had lying around. It has u-bolts that attach to the bumper tube in 2 places (upper and lower). I drilled slots in the traction boards so that you align the bolt head with the round area of the slot and then it slides down to hang in place. It literally takes 3 seconds to hang them and to remove them. The setup has been well tested with a couple of thousand miles of dirt and off road for the past 3 years, including a trip to Alaska last summer. Since they are so easy to access, I use the traction boards all the time and rarely need to get out my leveling blocks when setting up camp.
4X4 Quigley
Agile RIP
CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:57 PM   #28

Garage
Until today, I had never seen this Aluminess MaxTrax mount so thought I'd attach it to this thread:
BackPACK Rear Door Storage MaxTrax Clampshell Mount – Universal
https://www.aluminess.com/products/b...unt-universal/

Old 12-24-2023, 11:56 PM   #29

I stumbled across these recently. I see them around on other overland vehicles but had never seen them for the ford vans.

https://agency6.com/collections/ford-e350-van-grids
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 08:16 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oly11 View Post
I stumbled across these recently. I see them around on other overland vehicles but had never seen them for the ford vans.

https://agency6.com/collections/ford-e350-van-grids
I find this intriguing as well. No details on how the panels affix to the body. From the picture it looks like 4 mounting screws positioned towards the outer corners, only they are far enough ‘in’ they look like they would go through a window??? Unless they bolt onto suction cups. I’m curious enough,Think I’ll reach out to see what they say.