Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Collins CO
Posts: 24
I too had this happen. I think it's actually this slowness/stickiness that causes the regulator to fail, like it's having to work too hard to move the window - just a theory. I googled around a bit, and found that a lot of folks fix this by blasting the window channels with a dry silicone lube. I had some some "B'laster Silicone Lubricant" on hand and gave it a try. That and fiddling with the alignment bolts for the channel (the one you remove and reinstall when doing the regulator), and so far it's been much better. Be careful though, it's a bit of a messy job. Hope this helps.
__________________

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
ravensix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Portland
Posts: 29
I would like to inspect my drivers side window regulator...it has not yet fully failed. When lowering the window it "falls" below the window opening. When raised enough and I used as an arm rest it drops about 1/2 inch. The motor works.

Can I fix this issue? Anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance,
nixon
__________________

ravensix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
mikracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 2,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensix View Post
I would like to inspect my drivers side window regulator...it has not yet fully failed. When lowering the window it "falls" below the window opening. When raised enough and I used as an arm rest it drops about 1/2 inch. The motor works.

Can I fix this issue? Anyone had this problem?

Thanks in advance,
nixon
When you take the door panel off, you will be able to see how the window regulator works. My replacement failed again a few months ago but I just bought one on amazon and swapped it out. FYI, they come riveted on from the factory, so if you need to replace yours, you have to drill out the rivets and then bolt them on. The replacements usually come with nuts and bolts.
__________________
2005 E350 Chateau - V10 - Agile Offroad 4x4
2012 CTS-V Wagon - For the baby...
mikracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:01 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
pjpvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,146
1.5 days before I leave for Baja my driver side window regulator just broke and window fell abruptly in the Costco parking lot. So glad it happened before I was in the middle of nowhere on a beach! Found a Dorman replacement locally and will swap it out in the morning.

I greatly appreciate the helpful information in this thread!
__________________
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #15
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 9,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
1.5 days before I leave for Baja my driver side window regulator just broke and window fell abruptly in the Costco parking lot. So glad it happened before I was in the middle of nowhere on a beach! Found a Dorman replacement locally and will swap it out in the morning.

I greatly appreciate the helpful information in this thread!
Had more or less had the same thing happen in my Crown Vic a number of years ago. Put a nice gash in my window tint, and to replace the regulator, I had to drill out the rivets holding it in place. A PITA, but not too difficult.

Herb
__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 158
My passenger regulator gave out this summer and i replaced it myself. I picked up the rivet gun at the local fastenal store as well as some extra rivets just in case i messed one up. The regulator came with a package of rivets and i manged to install it without having to use the extras i purchased.

I also purchased the driver side regulator at the same time and was planning to replace it as well, but then decided i would just wait until it fails to replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01989.jpg  
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:12 AM   #17
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,402
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I'm in the auto/truck glass business as well as having replaced my own E-Series regulators. While I have a suitable rivet gun for the normal "tri-split" aluminum bodied rivets its NOT a tool the average E-Series owner needs to buy.

Simple 1/4-20 hex head bolts about 3/4" long with Nylok or other "locking" nuts work perfectly, most of us have 7/16" sockets and wrenches do no need to buy one more tool that will be at best greatly under used.

I'll admit on a few occasions I've used 1/4-20 bolts on my own stuff---in 12 years have yet to experience any problems or issues.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 02:56 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
pjpvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,146
Job done. Other than drilling the rivets out being a PITA, nothing overly technical about the job. Was bummed when I finished putting everything back together only to realize I had left a piece of wood in the door I was using to hold the window up during part of the process. ~10 more minutes to get the wood out.

Now, time to resume my packing for Baja. Leave early tomorrow!
__________________
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #19
JWA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Posts: 3,402
Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi View Post
Job done. Other than drilling the rivets out being a PITA, nothing overly technical about the job. Was bummed when I finished putting everything back together only to realize I had left a piece of wood in the door I was using to hold the window up during part of the process. ~10 more minutes to get the wood out.

Now, time to resume my packing for Baja. Leave early tomorrow!
I have a variety of vacuum cups to hold the glass up during repairs, placed so they're easily accessible when time to lower the glass back into place. These are commonly used by glass installers so have not yet left anything inside a door. And yes that is aggravating to be sure.

Good luck with the packing and enjoying Baja---I'm sure there'll a travel log here after your return?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
pjpvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
I have a variety of vacuum cups to hold the glass up during repairs, placed so they're easily accessible when time to lower the glass back into place. These are commonly used by glass installers so have not yet left anything inside a door. And yes that is aggravating to be sure.

Good luck with the packing and enjoying Baja---I'm sure there'll a travel log here after your return?
Thanks for the tips JWA and I'm sure I'll post up something when I return.
__________________

__________________
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Sportsmobile Registry

Campervan

Joerg

Guster

Salmon
Add your Sportsmobile
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×