Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2024, 04:43 PM   #1

Starcool II Condenser Fan

Hi all,

I picked up a 95 Ford SMB (not sure on the model) late last year and have been working on it ever since. It's only got 66k miles, but sat for 15 years and you know how bad that can be on any vehicle. Especially an RV!

Anywho, I have a Starcool II system that actually seems to work pretty decent for the most part. 12v is great and 110 mode is a little weak, but I've read that's pretty common. Some mickey mouse mechanic worked on this thing at some point, and it looks like they just deleted the Starcool condenser fan when they replaced the radiator.

From what I can tell in the manual, this older model just uses the factory condenser and kicks on a 12v fan when in 12v/110 mode. Is this correct? If so, does anyone have a photo of how the original fan is actually mounted? I assume I can just stick a fan on there and hopefully find the original wires for it. Seems simple enough, but I'm a visual learner and a picture would help me out a bunch. Thanks!

hardwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:43 PM   #2

My original fans were mounted with sheet metal screws into the frame of the condenser. When I replaced them, I used some flat stock screwed to the frame and then mounted the fan to it because the fans I found were a different size. There are plenty of fans available online, so pick one that has mounting holes near where you need them. One thing I didn't count on was that the new fans were really loud, so you might see if you can compare the sound level of what ever fans you look at. As for the wires, I can't help you but look for any dead ended wires near the fan location. If you can't find them you can always just run a manual on off switch and wire pair.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:17 PM   #3

This might help for sourcing the fan:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post205786

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-1984MRG

And repairs:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post274326
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:45 PM   #4

Hardwire -- are you meaning the StarCool fan - mounted under the driver door area - facing outward NOT facing to underside of van ? I'd take a photo of mine for you if I can send via iPhone - send me a private message if you want that photo ?

I can hear mine running when I lower the driver window - it does seem loud - but hey - after 22 years it's still working !! Fingers crossed too !
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevan2 View Post
Hardwire -- are you meaning the StarCool fan - mounted under the driver door area - facing outward NOT facing to underside of van ? !
I'm talking about the fan you want to replace where you can't find the wires. Did I misunderstand what you are trying to do?
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-21-2024, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Hardwire -- are you meaning the StarCool fan - mounted under the driver door area - facing outward NOT facing to underside of van ? I'd take a photo of mine for you if I can send via iPhone - send me a private message if you want that photo ?

I can hear mine running when I lower the driver window - it does seem loud - but hey - after 22 years it's still working !! Fingers crossed too !
From what the drawings in the manual are showing me, there is no separate condenser under the van. I even crawled underneath to verify and couldn't see anything but a compressor, even while tracing the lines. As far as I can tell this system just uses the factory condenser behind the radiator, which still seems a little odd. The only thing that is cooling it at the moment is the engine fan. No electronics fans at all.
Old 02-21-2024, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
My original fans were mounted with sheet metal screws into the frame of the condenser. When I replaced them, I used some flat stock screwed to the frame and then mounted the fan to it because the fans I found were a different size.

Was that the regular condenser behind the radiator? Or a separate small one mounted elsewhere? It seems everyone else has a smaller one under the van somewhere. I was expecting that on mine too but was surprised when I didn't find one anywhere. Not sure if that's an older starcool thing or someone has monkeyed with it.
Old 02-21-2024, 06:40 AM   #8

Not sure if I have two fans - theres so much stuff crammed into my engine bay ! I have a small condenser fan under driver side door - just haven't had time to get to my van (in storage) to take a photo yet -
doublevan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Not sure if I have two fans - theres so much stuff crammed into my engine bay !
There are normally two condensers, the original factory one in front of the radiator and a second one located under the van near the drivers door. The added 12Vdc fans are used since when on shore power, there would be no airflow across the condenser, because the van is not moving.
Advanced 4wd
Old 02-21-2024, 09:26 PM   #10

In case it helps, I've uploaded pics of the Starcool parts that were under my (now sold) 1998 SMB. These are all on the driver's side, which AFAIK is where SMB usually mounted them. https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...lbums1669.html

Also, years ago I uploaded the manual for my 1998 Starcool, which may be of some use: https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post197452
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote