Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #51

Re: Pikes Peak off road Trailers

Just as an FYI. We have three current orders and 2 stock JT-1s with wood sides. Here is a bit more detailed sketch of our standard woodside JT-1. For the SMB community, I would go larger but this is a good size behind a Jeep, UTV, or Quad.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #52

Some more Rick focused sketches showing the fold down tail gate design.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #53

Hey, have a little look at these:
http://3dogcamping.com/camper-trailers.html
Specially the offroad trailer...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #54

Judging by the name, they must be Australian.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #55
Site Team

Garage

The aussie trailers are very advanced and worth taking a look at to get some ideas on what you might want to have built over here.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
The aussie trailers are very advanced and worth taking a look at to get some ideas on what you might want to have built over here.
Definitely some beautiful work and lots of accessories!

My goal in starting PPT was to provide a rugged, off-road focused, utility trailer. I don't ever want to manufacture my trailers; fabrication is one of my passions and this is a creative outlet that immerses me in another of my passions: off-roading and overland travel - plus I get to meet some very interesting folks. Several years ago, in need of an off-road trailer, I was shocked at how much many of the manufacturers cost(well upwards of $6K) for many of the functions that I did not want or need. There was really only one vendor that offered something close to what I wanted but they did not sell a ready to roll option, plus they manufactured (and still do) their tubs so I could not get it in a size I wanted. And, by the time it got painted and had rims and tires added it was $>4K.

I enjoy working directly with people like Rick to add the facets that will make the trailer work for him as an individual but my main marketing focus is on a simpler, more off-road focused, very ruggedized trailer. I do not intend to compete with companies like AT (who make beautiful products IMO).

I look forward to flushing out the details for an "SMB" focused model with the help and guidance of Rick and other posters on this site and, if I am lucky, I get to build a few for ya'll.

Take Care.
Dave.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #57

Some more ideas working interactively with Rick.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #58

Old 01-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #59

Too much basket. Also the batteries will be permanent, so a 1x2x1 section of your interior is gone in a non-symmetric manner. Seems like that defeats the purpose of swapping it over to a cargo trailer on occasion if you have to disconnect and move two 40lb batteries out first.

Also, the irregular shape of the basket... with a triangle inside with an irregular extra box again... I'm assuming it's for wood collection or similar. I don't get the shape- sure picking up irregular scrap and putting it in an irregular basket it shouldn't matter, but you can't easily fit a regular shape, such as as small cooler. Whereas in a regular shape basket you can fit irregular (found wood) and regular (wood cords, cooler).

This is starting to look like a "just because we can" exercise... not that it's my trailer, but the simple beauty of a small functional trailer seems lost to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Too much basket. Also the batteries will be permanent, so a 1x2x1 section of your interior is gone in a non-symmetric manner. Seems like that defeats the purpose of swapping it over to a cargo trailer on occasion if you have to disconnect and move two 40lb batteries out first.

Also, the irregular shape of the basket... with a triangle inside with an irregular extra box again... I'm assuming it's for wood collection or similar. I don't get the shape- sure picking up irregular scrap and putting it in an irregular basket it shouldn't matter, but you can't easily fit a regular shape, such as as small cooler. Whereas in a regular shape basket you can fit irregular (found wood) and regular (wood cords, cooler).

This is starting to look like a "just because we can" exercise... not that it's my trailer, but the simple beauty of a small functional trailer seems lost to me.
Jage - I agree with you. The drawings above were a poor interpretation of an idea. Below is something closer to what I think Rick has in mind.