Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #11

It’s time to make a move on headlights. We try not to travel at night, but it happens. Right now I’m torn between just installing a ridged led on the bumper with a separate switch to light up the cows or going the vantage route. Aside from the cost difference, any thoughts? Also, how are the vantage lights on oncoming traffic? Sometimes those bright white lights coming at me can be pretty hard on the eyes. Thanks for the input.

Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #12

You didn't identify your vehicle, but if a E series, the vantage route HID made a world of difference. I have had Hella driving lights, clear stock lenses, and fog lights prior to installing the vantage kit. Much improved but you have to adjust them carefully for the benefit of other drivers....(he has instructions). Just realized I already posted...
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #13

Garage
I have a set of Scotts Vantage Optics & they do make a huge difference...much more convenient to have the road illuminated every time you turn on the lights. Most of the time I'm running them i find no need to use any of my additional lights.
No problem with oncoming traffic as long as the beam is adjusted correctly. If you go the other route, just make sure the lights you purchase are 'SAE Compliant' so they can be used safely (a lot of them are not).
Old 11-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatmorefish View Post
Sometimes those bright white lights coming at me can be pretty hard on the eyes. Thanks for the input.
Just another data point.. I kept my fixtures but installed some aftermarket LED bulbs. Probably not as good as an all-new assembly, but it's an improvement over stock.

It's not so much the brightness that blinds other drivers, it's that the headlight aim is off. Regardless of what you install, you will want to go to the shop manual and follow the headlight aiming procedure. I did that, then made a few final fine-tuning adjustments. It took quite a few adjustments to get it just right. If you get it close to the factory aiming specs, you wont blind oncoming traffic.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #15

Few people ever adjust their lights. Even after adding 4*4 or just a lift kit it should be done. Props to you for doing it right.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:06 AM   #16

Quote:
It’s time to make a move on headlights. We try not to travel at night, but it happens. Right now I’m torn between just installing a ridged led on the bumper with a separate switch to light up the cows or going the vantage route..
A light bar is not a subistute for proper headlights. They are great off road but illegal to use on the road. In Canada, they have to have a cover on them or you can get a ticket. Anything you get from Scott will be a huge improvement over your stock lights and when aimed properly they won’t blind oncoming traffic.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #17

Thanks for the feedback, agree with the importance of proper adjustments. More light all the time sounds great, I’m just a little concerned about what happens when I’m in Baja or the middle of the alcan and lose a headlight? That’s really the only advantage to stock that I can think of, but it’s a pretty big one.
I’m leaning towards Scott’s product but if I did go the other way has anyone routed auxiliary lights, or anything for that matter, thru the vans (e350) fuse box? There’s lots of empty spaces in there. I have an aversion to taking power directly off the battery. Thanks again for the input.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:58 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
I’m just a little concerned about what happens when I’m in Baja or the middle of the alcan and lose a headlight? That’s really the only advantage to stock that I can think of, but it’s a pretty big one.
I had one of Scotts headlights go out and didn't even realize until I pulled in to tank-up and observed only one was working in a window reflection. The one remaining illuminated the road considerable better than the two OEM's put together - so much so I didn't even notice while driving. My issue had nothing to do with his equipment, installer failed to put a lock washer on the nut attaching the ground cable and it vibrated loose just enough to create a bad contact.
Many of us here which have these installed have collectively 'put them to the test' already... and no issue. Plenty of people have enthusiastically endorsed the quality & effectiveness of the Vantage Optics upgrade (in this thread & others) = emerge a reputation hard to ignore.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:31 PM   #19

If you have sealed beam headlamps, these represent a very economical alternative for an almost perfect cutoff pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CQDCH7D...roduct_details
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 09:39 PM   #20

Thanks, I’ll look into that as an option. Do you have any time on them?