Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #1

2011 Ford E-250 5.4L MG Conversion Project - $12,500

Several years back, I bought two 2011 E-250 vans, two of MG's 4WD conversion kits, and two front axles out of 2011 F-250s. I chose the 2011 year because of the TCS (traction control system) that saved my butt once when I went into a corner too quickly while driving a a twisty mountain highway. TCS measures the vehicle roll, speed, and other factors to do differential braking to help pull a vehicle around a corner when you've gotten too aggressive and are in danger of understeer causing an accident. MG's kit was the only route to 4WD that maintains the TCS system (the leaf spring conversions leave you with a check engine light stuck on due to the missing sensors).

My idea was that I would be able to rent my vans out on Outdoorsy when I wasn't using them. After doing the lift on #1 van, I realized that my lifestyle doesn't really fit with staying in one place to support a rental fleet. So, I'm making the second van and associated parts available for sale.

The van is a 2011 Ford E-250 with the 5.4L engine and 4R75 transmission. It received a factory approved conversion to Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) and was then part of AT&T's utility van fleet prior to my purchase. It has nearly 140,000 miles on it with no buildup inside the engine; CNG burns so cleanly that the oil comes out at changing time looking like it just went in. I've enjoyed driving this van back and forth from Tucson to SoCal, since CNG is just $2 a gallon in comparison to $6 a gallon for gasoline. I can convert it back to gasoline prior to delivery, if desired. I went through this process on van #1 and it was fairly easy; just unplug the CNG components, plug in the gasoline components, and flash the PCM with Forscan. Or you can take it in its current CNG and use the included gasoline parts (tank, filler, fuel lines, injectors, etc) to convert it yourself when the CNG tanks time out in a few years.

I replaced the tires about 15K ago and they have plenty of tread. One of Ray's swivel bases is included for the passenger seat and all of the cargo doors (side and rear) have pop out windows installed. A 200W solar panel is installed on top with a Yakima rack and is wired to a house battery mounted in a Ford frame mount box. The house battery can also take charge from the alternator through an automatic isolation switch.

The front axle has been disassembled, sand blasted, and painted with chassis paint. I've also welded the caster correction plates to the radius arms and repainted them. Also included is a lot of the necessary hardware that's not included in MG's kit (when it made sense, I ordered parts for two vans since I was planning on also lifting this one).

To support the new owner, I will volunteer to fabricate the transmission mount when you're ready to install the MG kit. This requires cutting the ends off the existing mount and welding new plates onto each end so that it mounts to the frame through the MG radius arm mounts.

To complete the lift will require purchase of F-250 wheels/tires, front springs, shocks, new rear springs (or lift blocks or shackle flip kit or whatever you decide to do), bumps stops, and some other minor components. I've also machined a Delrin bushing to let you use the much cheaper Rough Country steering link. See the MG build thread on this forum for more information.

Not everything pictured inside the van is included. I'm still driving it and using it as a utility vehicle, so please pardon my mess.

Located in Tucson, Arizona... with possible delivery to SoCal.

$12,500 takes everything.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6307.jpg   IMG_6309.jpg   IMG_6311.jpg   IMG_6312.jpg   IMG_6313.jpg  

IMG_6308.jpg   IMG_6310.jpg  

Kendel is offline   Reply With Quote