Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #41

Garage
Count me in for a set. Thanks for all the work.!

Mike

ghetto fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #42

Sorry on the delay of the pictures of the custom AMP bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
53532C7F-D02A-410F-B206-1238BFEFAFBA.jpg   234CF104-B0E1-4741-A06A-54F98E3F8CFF.jpg   336163F5-FB00-4CEC-BC12-C20975DB9ADA.jpg  
Old 02-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #43

The RSE step sliders mount to the pinch weld and to rivnuts mounted on the body of the van. No Frame mounting. Basically you mount 2 support brackets to the van then mount the actual step sliders to the brackets. The brackets run the length of the steps. The only issue I know of(I am no expert!) is that on vans with a propane door the door had to be flipped so that the door opens up instead of down. I have a propane door that I have yet to install as I am waiting to get the steps installed before I mount the door.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #44

Garage
RSI power steps

I installed mine about a year or so ago so maybe I can shed some light on these sliders.

1. They mount to the rocker just below the door with 7, 5/16" riv bolts and then bolted to the pinch weld.

2. They are 3/16" steel and weigh about 80lbs apiece. They are built to take some rock crawling if that's what your into.

3. The setup for the wiring harness is meant to run from the passenger step under the carpet/seats to the driver step and to the battery. To do otherwise will require some modification to the supplied harness.

I like it that the motor and moving parts are protected and you don't lose any ground clearance. The down side is They are heavy and I did have an issue with the passenger side step not closing fully. It has 3 support arms and a longer step rather then 2 arms and a shorter step on the driver side.

Kevin at RSI was pretty helpful and it's ok now but it remains to be seen if the problem arises again. I have heard of the same problems with the long step(3 arms) with hummers but that another story.

Don't know if you wanted all that but it is what it is : )
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4521.jpg   DSCF4522.jpg   DSCF4523.jpg  
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #45

I just talked to Lynn at RSE and he has referred me to the "boss", Kevin. I am contacting him as directed indicating a pre-paid group buy if the quantity works out. I will post when I hear back! (Also, I found a used set of AMP steps on Craigslist for $250 and grabbed them and will keep you posted my bracket progress as well).
Dummyfatpigpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #46

I am not sure I like the RSE step as well as the AMP. They seem heavy and the steps are too narrow. However, they do look very heavy duty, and they may or may not become available. If there is a group buy, I would be interested in the details.

The AMP steps are nice and wide and are proven in the market. I may end up as Dummyfatpigpoo and find a used set and fab up some brackets. It will be later in the spring before I can get started, but I will share with the group what I come up with.

Now if we could get a group buy with AMP or Specialized, I would participate in that.
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #47

I actually had a set of AMP steps with the specialized bracketry. Bought them brand new from Specialized, but never installed as the steps and arms and motors seemed a bit flimsy and exposed. So I sold them here, and have been jumping into and out of my van for years now.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 PM   #48

Garage
I did get a response from Rock Slide Engeneering today:
Yes we did make Sportsmobile step sliders. We are now making Auto Steps but don't have plans to integrate the Sportsmobile into our line up due to low volume. If you are a good fabricator you could probably make our longer version of the Auto Steps work.

I am attaching a copy of install instuctions so you can get a look at their construction.

Hope this helps

Lynn Hendrixson

He did attach a pdf file that supposedly outlined the installation process, but my AntiVirus software blocked it - claiming it has a "Trojan" embedded in it. Unfortunate because it certainly peeked my interest. Just sent him a response to inform him & requesting he tries sending again.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #49

Bruce at specialized got back to me with price. $2300 including installation. So, it looks like options are $2300 from specialized, find and buy your own set of AMP steps and fabricate mounts based on your van gear - probably $750 to $1500 based on what you find steps for and the final option is Rock Slide modification of of current product range or if they agree to a gtoup buy either will I bet land around $2,000
Dummyfatpigpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #50

The new steps from Rock Slider Engineering look nicer than the earlier version. They are aluminum so each one is about 50 lbs lighter, than the steel version.

Here is a link to the installation instructions for a Dodge truck. That will give you an idea of how to install.

http://www.rockslideengineering.com/...id/1515690657/

They are $1850 for the steps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote